What's new

Advice on a good first SR and Strop

Hi All,

Been DE shaving for a while and decided to start experimenting with SR shaving. I started with a Feather Artist Club Shavette thinking it would be a good starting point, but everything I've read here suggests otherwise, so I'm thinking about returning and taking the plunge on a real SR. BTW, I've gotten a little over-zealous with my first two shaves with the Feather and have the bloody scars to show for it :D

Looking to spend $120-$200 on a good first straight razor, and am looking for advice. Thinking 6/8 or 5/8 round, and honed by a professional, which leads me to Maggards and TSS as starting points.

I'd also like a strop that has canvas and leather, as that seems to be the best starting point as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed!

Hi, I've also taken the plunge two months ago. My first razor was the Dovo Inox 5/8 stainless steel blade. It has a beginner friendly round point and price point as well. Suprisingly haven't cut my face learning yet but did manage to cut my finger cleaning it.

For a strop I got the Ezra Arthur English Bridle, has both leather and canvas and is wide enough to just requiring a straight up and down stropping motion.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
5/8 or 6/8, the choice is yours. 6/8 will be a little easier to judge the blade angle while the 5/8 will be a little more maneuverable. A round point is probably best to start with. Your budget should give you a good choice from either Muggards or TSS.

My preference for a strop would be one from Heirloom Razor Strops but @Tony Miller is not the only manufacturer available. Best you get a strop that is at least 2½" wide (my preference). Others prefer 3" wide. I would suggest that your secondary strop be of linen, not canvas.

Just remember that there is a very good chance that you will cut up at least your first strop while learning. I started with mid-range Chinese strops, going through 3 before purchasing a higher-end strop.

My further advice is:
  • Forget that 30° stuff you heard on YouTube. The correct blade angle is about ½ to 1 spine thickness from the skin.
  • SR shave daily so as to reinforce your subconscious with what you learn.
  • Forget about shaving your whiskers. Use just enough pressure to remove the lather. Don't worry, the whiskers will just come off with the lather.
  • Don't try for a smooth-finished shave. That will come automatically as your technique develops.
  • Use a lather that is noticeably wetter than what you would use for DE shaving.
  • CONCRETE! Some people shouldn't be allowed to handle sharp object, even me sometimes.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Been DE shaving for a while and decided to start experimenting with SR shaving. I started with a Feather Artist Club Shavette thinking it would be a good starting point, but everything I've read here suggests otherwise, so I'm thinking about returning and taking the plunge on a real SR. BTW, I've gotten a little over-zealous with my first two shaves with the Feather and have the bloody scars to show for it :D

Looking to spend $120-$200 on a good first straight razor, and am looking for advice. Thinking 6/8 or 5/8 round, and honed by a professional, which leads me to Maggards and TSS as starting points.

I'd also like a strop that has canvas and leather, as that seems to be the best starting point as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed!
When I started a few months back, the advice I was given was to buy two SRs, and I did. I bought two different grinds, a vintage restored near wedge Mappin & Webb (from Razor Emporium) and a hollow ground Ralf Aust Spanish tip. Both are 5/8. I bought my strop from Shave Nation. It's a 3" with a leather and a linen strop. Price was a big consideration for me. The two razors were a little over $200 for both, and the strop was $60.

Top Bottom