What's new

Advice Needed

Hi everyone I am in Australia and he is in the US. I'll purchase it online and get it shipped to him. Price isn't so much an issue. His beard is not overly thick but not thin either. I guess middle of the road if that makes any sense. I was looking at Merkur and Viking on Amazon earlier but it really is ovoverwhelming. He is the kind of person that will take his time to learn how to use it well. He enjoys the process of shaving and takes his sweet time doing it 😉

Given you may not know how his face will react, and everybody has different preferences on how it should feel, how close it shaves, etc, I'd suggest something with room to grow and/or adapt. I'm a bit over 6'2" with large hands, and some razors are more difficult to hold, and prefer those with some nice knurling, making them easier to hold with my big hands. That size also gravitates me towards a heavier razor.

I'd also suggest going more mid-range or solid/quality, he'll enjoy the experience more. If he's new to DE Shaving, you can't go wrong with a Rockwell, if you can swing the 6S at around $99, it will last forever being stainless, and gives a super smooth and easy shave. He can start with plate 1 or 2, with 2 shaving very similar to a Feather ASD2 at half the price, and if desired move onto the 3/4 plate or above. - Even the R6 plate shaves smoother and more comfortable than any other razor I own, even a mild Tech. The chrome or plated zinc alloy model 6C is around half that price, and by reports shaves just as well.

Another suggestion would be an adjustable, like the Parker, which I'd favor over the MingShi, Vikings Blade, or similar, however, having that knob can really play with a new shaver's head, where they're tempted to fiddle with the knob, as opposed to learning good technique, making the Rockwell with it's plates possibly a better option.

If he's a cartridge guy, there's always the OneBlade Hybrid, which gives a nice shave, and very easy for somebody coming from the cartridge world to pick up. Downside is the cost of the FHS-10 blades, being pretty much the only blade available, unless he's going to modify GEM blades.

Other easy to use models are the Injector razors, you can get a really clean Schick Adjustable for around $40, if having a 'used' razor isn't a put-off. (The thought of using a razor previously used by somebody really skeeves my wife, not understanding it can be cleaned and disinfected, and the blade/cutter is new). There's a knob, but they're really easy to adapt to, if he was a cartridge guy, and the handle angle is similar, but they shave really well. - There are also some new injector razors available for a price, such as Supply, and an 'L' clone, but can't recall who makes it.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.

If it is not too expensive the Rockwell 6C it will give him all the adjustment he might want and leave him a lot of room to grow. I love my Rockwell but I also like the inexpensive Bali's mentioned on page one nearly as much and they are a lot less money. I do have a preference for milder razors.

Let us know what you picked out. I am sure he will be thrilled with whatever you decide.

This is a neat looking razor and is easy to learn with, I bought 2 so far. I bought 1 for my son at Christmas who uses it and he seems to know how to use it now. Very carefree shaves and will give a DarnFineShave, The razor is the Razorock SLOC and it is a good deal for around $20.00 & comes with a Stainless steel handle.
Read the reviews of folks like myself who bought one.
View attachment 1252072
Have some great shaves!
I second this.

While there are probably a hundred excellent options, the Rockwell 6s is the razor I wish I'd started with. The 6c costs half as much and would be an excellent option as well.

Last edited:
In the price range of the razors you're considering is the new King C. Gillette safety razor. It's around $25 on Amazon, with shipping included. Many forum members here have used it, liked it, and recommended it. Although I've never tried one, I'd be comfortable recommending it based on (1) the general popularity of the razor among forum members who have tried it and (2) the fact the razor uses a common razor head design (the Muhle/Edwin Jagger R89/DE89).

As for everyone suggesting you buy a more expensive razor, go ahead and tune them out. They seem to have ignored the part of your post where you said finances are tight right now.

I did start with the Rockwell 6S and it has been a great razor. I highly recommend it for those new to DE razors as well as those with more experience. It is adjustable and you can start mild while you are learning then go more aggressive as your skills progress. If money isn't an issue get the Rockwell 6S. It is stainless steel and should last long enough to be passed down for generations as a family heirloom Runs about $100 US. The Rockwell 6c is an excellent razor as well even if it isn't as robust. The Rockwell 6C costs about half as much as the 6S. You can order them both from one of our forum sponsors West Coast Shaving.

I got a Parker 99R ten years ago and still use it. I like the weight and the grip. It's currently $29.99 on Amazon. It has a longer handle, which I prefer. I don't get the allure of the little stubby handles. To me what they call a "long handle" just feels like a regular handle and the shorter ones just feel wrong.

@Jodie does he need soap and a brush as well?

You'll need blades to go along with the razor. For a 5 sample pack Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Nacet, Astra SP, Astra SS are all top shelf blades. Been evaluating these for months and can gladly suggest trying them.

I don't know that much about razors, settled pretty fast on a vintage model. But the SLOC/Yaqi Melon suggested earlier is good I have it plus back ups just in case. It's not nearly as angry as it looks!

Many people start with Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger D89, Muhle R89, and now the King C. Gillette which is available for a great price on Amazon. The KGC includes 5 very good blades. Any of those provide similar great results and a quality razor that will last for years if cared for properly (dry it off after use). There really is no need to move on from any of those. You cannot go wrong with any one of those choices.

As others have mentioned, this is largely a matter of your budget.

Lord makes some excellent products in the sub $10 range, Pearl makes some good products for under $20, and there is also the Feather Popular in that price range, and for under $40, Merkur.

Just a word of advice, here, if I might? Shaving gear preferences are a very much individual thing. My dear wife dropped $50 (which is a lot of money for us) on a Badger brush which I really don't like and I much prefer my $5 Number Six Boar. But I don't have the heart to tell her, and I've had to put that expensive badger in the rotation even though I really don't like it that much. So... my advice is to NOT get into this on the expensive side, at least and until one's preferences are well-defined.

Last edited:
New razors:
Gillette heritage
Edwin Jagger
Both can be had for under $50

Vintage razors:
Gillette tech
Gillette/Otto Roth New LC

As others have said a blade sample pack is a good idea

If it is not too expensive the Rockwell 6C it will give him all the adjustment he might want and leave him a lot of room to grow. I love my Rockwell but I also like the inexpensive Bali's mentioned on page one nearly as much and they are a lot less money. I do have a preference for milder razors.

Let us know what you picked out. I am sure he will be thrilled with whatever you decide.
Excellent recommendation in my opinion.

There's also a Rockwell 2C, which is the same as the 6C but has only two options (plate #3 the most popular, and plate #1 very mild). It's less expensive than the 6C and would use the savings for some shaving cream (i.e. Palmolive) and a brush (i.e. Omega). A good protective lather key to a good shave.

Ditto on the King C Gillette razor ($20-25) on Amazon or ebay. It comes with 5 KCG blades and the combo works well.

I'm a big guy with big hands and this is a favorite razor.[emoji846][emoji610]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

If your looking at Merkur, then look at the 38c. It has the same head as a 34c, but the handle is longer and the razor has more heft. [emoji846][emoji610]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Merkur 23C long handle safety razor. Plenty of knurling on the handle for grip, and efficient enough for shaving without drawing blood - and a good value at $28 or so.

Top Bottom