What's new

Advice needed on what to try next!

Hey all! After a while of not getting anything new, im hit by RAD again :) I was hoping some of you could help pick a next razor purchase.

So far I have used:

Merkur Classic: my first purchase, had a pretty good shave with it

Gillette SS: Second purchase, love the thing and my current razor in use

To me (a relative noob), both of these razors seem to be in the same style i.e. smaller and less heavy.

For my next razor I would love to try something perhaps with a longer handle, and definitely something that has a heavier head. Also, I do not want to mess with adjustables.

Any advice you guys could provide would be very appreciated!

I just got a Merkur 38C and so far really like it. It's got some heft to it and a nice long handle. The only down side I am starting to notice is with a light grip it seems to want to move around a bit. That being said - I can see me using it for a long long time.

GO STR8 YOUNG MAN, GO STR8. Has all the qualities that you are looking for, well except the adjustability. They are the most adjustable blade around. Why wait? It's time to take the dive. Oh, and after 6 months of exclusive str8 shaving I must report that IT'S FUN!!!!:clap:

GO STR8 YOUNG MAN, GO STR8. Has all the qualities that you are looking for, well except the adjustability. They are the most adjustable blade around. Why wait? It's time to take the dive. Oh, and after 6 months of exclusive str8 shaving I must report that IT'S FUN!!!!:clap:
Amen, Bro! And pass the cream/soap!

If you really want something different that is heavier with a long handle, get a Big Boy, Big Fellow. That ought to do it. Enjoy. :wink2:

Len

I'll vote for a Gillette Red Tip. They are beautiful razors, heavier than a SS, and not as aggressive as their reputation.

some great responses!

To be honest that Mule R89 seems really appealing to me. Would the head weight be significantly higher then the Gillette SS and Merkur Classic?

And abotu the Red Tip, which also sounds nice, how much difference can I really expect between it and my other SS?

The red tip is some what more aggressive than the regular SS.

some great responses!

To be honest that Mule R89 seems really appealing to me. Would the head weight be significantly higher then the Gillette SS and Merkur Classic?

And abotu the Red Tip, which also sounds nice, how much difference can I really expect between it and my other SS?

The Merkur 11C is also comparable to the Muhle - perhaps not as aggressive. Speaking of RAD, I was actually thinking about getting the 11C ...

some great responses!

some great responses!

The Muhle head is about the same weight as the Merkur, but the stock handle is significantly lighter. It gives you a nice agile shave. I get about the same closeness out of a Muhle head as I do a Merkur head, but I find the Muhle head more forgiving. I get less irritation out of it and fewer nicks. Interestingly, I can (and prefer to) run a Feather in my Muhle, but I can't run it in my Merkur. I get all sorts of nicks and weepers. Then of course, there's fit and finish. Muhle leaves Merkur in the dust here, making them look like factory seconds (and I'm not the first one to say that). Muhle just flat makes a beautiful razor.

I would say a Muhle R89 or an EJ 89L which have the same head. These are on my radar at the moment, but lack of funds prohibit immediate purchase.

Something from Cooncatbob sounds in order!!

I've been running the R89 on a Bull Mastiff handle. It works pretty nice. Totally different feel from the ultra lite stock handle, but it delivers the same great shave. While I'm currently playing with some NEW heads on the Bull Mastiff, I'm not so sure the R89's not my favorite. The two issues (and they are minor) with this are:
  1. Müle tends to let the chrome plating build up on the head threads, so you have to hit it with a 10-32 dye to get it to fit.
  2. The Müle’s chrome plated and the Bull Mastiff’s nickel plated. While they’re both silver, the head’s a little bluer and the handle’s a little browner. It’s minor at best and doesn’t bother me a bit.

Top Bottom