What's new

Advice needed for longer hair grooming.

Can anyone help please?

I am in the process of growing my hair into a longer, brushed back behind the ears style - collar length.

I am trying to find a hair product that will hold it in place without the wet look crash helmet appearence of gel or too waxy or oily.

I have found and earlier thread where someone suggested Jeris Hair Tonic for a similar use, but I can't source it in the UK. Can anyone suggest an alternative product that would have the same effect?

Another suggestion given to me was try hair spray. Does anyone use hair spray and if so what make as, from memory, they all smell pretty dreadful.
I remember that, back in the day, you used to be able to buy a hair spray called 'Cossack' which was made for men.

a water soluble pomade may be what you're looking for.

the two best/most popular among the neo-greaser/rockabilly crowd are Layrite and Hold Fast.

[old petroleum based pomades like Murray's had to be 'stripped' out of the hair, damaging it.]

they can be worn slick, or combed through for a softer look. both wash out with just water.

Thanks for the advice MMCCX.

Although Layrite & Hold Fast seem to be difficult to buy in the UK, I have discovered that Sweet Georgia Brown (Purple Can) is also water based so I've ordered some of that to try.

I have learnt a lot about pomades today. One of the many things that I love about the USA and something that never ceases to amaze me is the incredible choice of products you have, even for something as seemingly simple as pomade. I must have looked at over 50 different types - awesome and fantastic packaging too.

Last edited:
should work well for you.

SGB is water based, but not water soluble.

which just means that it will take a serious shampooing to remove completely. the petrolatum in it likes to cling to the hair and the residue is only noticeable once the hair is dry.

i've thought of trying it as i grow my hair out from a traditional 'flat top' to more of a "James Dean". that back sweep needs some serious attention.

proxy.php

I comb my hair straight back and have had luck with the following:

1. Morgan's pomade. Just make sure it's the new formulation made with wheat germ oil (the old stuff was vaseline and lead aspartate). It's advertised for darkening grey hair; I used it for several months with no effect. However, it holds well without the greasiness of trad pomades.

2. US Brylcreem works great for me (the UK product may be different).

Haven't tried it, but Trumper's Eucris hair dressing with oil should work.

Thanks again MMCCX.
The difference between water based and water soluble is a very good point and one that I honestly didn't pick up on.

However, the good news is that the Sweet Georgia Brown arrived today and I've tried a very small amount worked into damp hair and it seems to be working well. I suppose the real test will be tomorrow when I wash it.

I would like to try Layrite, but so far the only place I can find it is a German web site where it would cost about £20, which is a bit of an outlay until I know it will work.

I have had spiky top and very short back and sides style for most of my life and just fancied doing something different with it. Something more distinguished for my later years. Although I now realise that the short hair is a lot lower maintenance - just rub it with a towel.
Good luck if you do decide to grow yours.

Pescara - thanks for the help.
I have tried good old Brylcreem, red tub, but I found it to be just a little too greasy.
I hadn't really considered Morgan's because, as you say, its marketed as a hair darkening product, but its readily available and cheap as chips so has to be worth a go as long as it doesn't turn me raven black overnight.

Just out of curiosity I ordered this Linetti Brilliantine Lavanda with my SGB. I don't suppose it will do what I want it to do, but it's nice packaging and smells fantastic.

I sport an old fashioned pompadour (ala early 50's Johnny Cash) and my advice is as follows.

1. Find a great old fashioned REAL barber that can cut men's hair
2. If sporting a pomp use Murray's for hold, Royal Crown for shine
3. Buy an Ace comb

Its that simple. I've never had more comments on my hair than I have since I let it grow and started sporting a pompadour. Oh yeah, and when some baldy calls you "Elvis", call him Kojak, they really like that.

Top Bottom