What's new

Advice needed for 1st time beard trimming.

Hey guys i'm Dany 22yo i'm new here btw,and i need a advice.
Alright,so i've been growing a beard tomorrow will be week 13.
No trimming except the neckline,but haven't trimmed neckline and cheeks for 3-4 weeks as well (i know i should).
And i've noticed that i my beard has more growth and is thicker beneath my jawline especially my chin.
And i really don't like the way it looks all bulky like that,as you can see in the pics below.
The way i'd want it is to remove that "bulkiness" beneath my chin (but keep the chin length intact) and jawline.
So should i use a trimmer with no guard and just go in the straight direction with the blade beneath my chin?And with the jawline,should i do the same thing,following the direction of my jawline with the blade,or should i use guards and go downward the cheeks?

I'm bad with my English but i hope you get what i meant,in short.I'd like to remove the bulk beneath my chin and jawline so it doesn't look so messy.
Edit:I know the simple solution would be to hit the barber and the problem's solved,but the problem is that there's no "those" kinds of barbers here that do beard shaping etc...
I really wouldn't like to go to someone and have them just ruin my beard,i'd rather do it myself.
CLICKFORPICS

I smile reading the last line. I know you did not mean this, but I read it as "why pay to have someone ruin my beard when I can ruin it myself?" I only read it that way, because I have tried to shape my beard many many many times over the years with no success. I have never ruined my beard, but I always end up just picking a guard and trimming everything down to one uniform length going against the grain.

I think you have the right concept. Establish a sharp line with no guard where you want the neckline to end. Then use the guards to get the right hair length.

Use the higher numbers first, reducing a little at a time, going lower if you want it shorter. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back on.

If you want to maintain the thicker look, you are right to go from the top of the cheek down.

I wish I had better advice for beard shaping. Even if you buzz the beard short, your natural sharp jawline will make a nice shape for the beard.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I could not have said it better myself ewk. It is about deciding on a look firstly and foremost. Establish your lines and trim accordingly. It is a fine looking beard.

I smile reading the last line. I know you did not mean this, but I read it as "why pay to have someone ruin my beard when I can ruin it myself?" I only read it that way, because I have tried to shape my beard many many many times over the years with no success. I have never ruined my beard, but I always end up just picking a guard and trimming everything down to one uniform length going against the grain.

I think you have the right concept. Establish a sharp line with no guard where you want the neckline to end. Then use the guards to get the right hair length.

Use the higher numbers first, reducing a little at a time, going lower if you want it shorter. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back on.

If you want to maintain the thicker look, you are right to go from the top of the cheek down.

I wish I had better advice for beard shaping. Even if you buzz the beard short, your natural sharp jawline will make a nice shape for the beard.
Hehe,but isn't it kinda true.If i'd ruin it myself the only thing i'd be kinda pissed and feeling down is myself that i didn't put enough research heh.But going to a barber with 10-15 years of experience and have him end up with missing out the shape i want and yes paying him for that would bother me much more.But again i understand,of course you can't make everyone's wish exactly they want it (including me).Anyway...
But if i go against the grain it's gonna take more hair off right?and it could make waves,at least that's what i heard.
The advice is great,now i know that i should go from up to down the cheek (with the grain) if i wanna keep that thicker look as you said.Thanks.
Btw these are the two styles i'd like to have my beard shaped.If the pointy chin from the pics ends up not looking good,i'd try the one from the video.
VIDEO
PICS

This video has helped me trim my own beard at home and not mess it up

Since your beard is a bit shorter. Here's another one for shorter beards

The guide from the 1st video has great explanation,it's for more for longer beards but i guess i could use "under the chin trim" advice for my short beard as well.Thanks :).

Yes, against the grain will take off more hair. Looks like you have a good idea of how to get what you are looking for. Most important thing to remember, it always grows back. :) Have fun!

Yes, against the grain will take off more hair. Looks like you have a good idea of how to get what you are looking for. Most important thing to remember, it always grows back. :) Have fun!
Visually yes,but it's all different when you take a trimmer in your hand hehe.But i believe it'll be fine,and as you say it'll grow back again,even if i mess it up i still have a mustache which i'm not trimming at all.Thanks.

Top Bottom