What's new

Advice - got a lemon GPS!

I had been using a Magellan 4040 for a long time and I really liked it. But the maps were getting old and hey, I wanted a new toy. So I picked up a new Magellan 4350. Sweet! Good new features, routes are great, the software is the best yet and the screen is a nice hi resolution. I was in love. For a while.

Then it crashed. The screen froze. No response to the touch screen. It wouldn't turn off until I held the power key for 15 seconds. Then it ran for a half hour and crashed again.

I called Magellan and they replaced it with another 4350. OK, thanks. It crashed too! But even worse. Not even holding power would bring it back. Not pressing the reset button. Nothing. I sent it back. 4350 #3 arrives.

Yup. It crashed. Not as bad as #2, but still it froze. I called Magellan. By now it's too late to return the unit for a refund - the store only allows refund for 30 days. I can't be fooling with a crashed GPS in traffic, and I spend time in strange cities. I need my GPS. I called Magellan AGAIN. They sent me a downgrade - the 4250. It's clunky and the features like voice recognition (which the tech was saying was so terrific - if the feature is so great, why did they drop it?) don't work. I called and complained. Why should I have to take an old model when I paid for the latest anyway?

Magellan sent me a 4370! It is basically a 4350 is a very hi definition display. OK, maybe it's better. Ummm, maybe it's NOT. It froze as well.

Let me be clear here. By this time I am running the new GPS in parallel with the 4040. In other words, there are TWO GPS units in my windshield running at the same time. The 4350 (or 4370) right next to the 4040. There is never a loss of signal - and I am in the middle of flat open country anyway so I would not expect a loss of signal. Besides, the parallel running GPS keeps on truckin'. So does my Garmin 765t. I like Magellan better than Garmin, but hey - the Garmin WORKS and has NEW maps. There is something WRONG with this model - hardware or software, no idea. But something is badly wrong.

So now I have an expensive GPS that is not reliable and which I cannot return and which Magellan seems unable to fix. I need suggestions. Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
As far as the unit you now have that can't be returned, I don't know, but I would be pretty sour on Magellan at this point. Is there a chance that there is something related to your vehicle that might be the cause of the 5 GPS units to fail? Have you always run two units at the same time?

Since the second 4350 failed I have been geeking out and yes, I always have the 4040 or a Garmin 765t running literally right next to the 4350 or now the 4370. People look at me like I am insane, but yes, I am running two at the same time. The thought had occurred to me too, but if the others keep on trucking I don't see how it can be my vehicle. Besides, they run off Magellans power supply.

Come to think of it, the first 4350 crashed on battery power too. So it was isolated from the car completely.

I don't know what to think about that string of luck. Is it possible there there is a software upgrade for the unit that you currently have? That might solve the crashing issue.

Stick with the Garmin and drop the Magellan. You lost some money but at least you have a working GPS now.

I do quite a bit of technology related reading on the web and basically anything I have read has always pointed to Garmin as having the best quality GPS units around. I have had one for a couple of years now with zero problems. Stick with that.

Well, here is the problem. Garmin is OK and seems reliable. But I like Magellans routing better and Garmin does not offer the ability to disallow roads. Magellan does. For instance where I live route 2 is under heavy construction and I don't want to take it because it's a pain to drive and there are closed exits. Garmin wants me on it. I can tell the Magellan to not take it. I also prefer the look of their map screen.

Out a little money? $300 is not a little money. Not to me anyway.

As for the handheld, if you are looking for a small unit that gives turn by turn directions, you want to look at something like a Garmin 265 or 255. They fit in your pocket easily. I have one if you want a deal on it - PM me. I can't really say anything BAD about Garmin. They always get me where I need to be and I am relying on my 765t right now. There are just a few small things I like about Magellan.

I am calling them today and we will have words I think.

Let me also be clear about this too - Magellan support has been great. It's not their fault that this thing is bad news and they have done a great deal to try to keep my business and make me happy. But right now I just want a working unit or my money back out of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom