What's new

Advice for restoring and identifying inherited Gillette Tech

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to B & B after having joined yesterday and introduced myself in the new members forum. I've been lurking for years though, and learned what I know about DE shaving from you knowledgeable folks. A big thank you for that.

My dad passed away a few years ago. It hasn't been until recently that I've had the heart to look at the DE razors I inherited from him. I'd like to use them if possible, but I'm leery of possibly damaging them as there is quite alot of wear.

So, I was wondering if I could get some information and advice on the Made in Canada (I'm Canadian) Gillette Tech.
I know its a Gillette Tech from reading this forum. I've read though that some of these were made with zamak, or at least the heads were, and that its not a long lived metal once the finish wears off. Does mine appear to be ok with another cleaning, or is this a big restoration project? I'm willing to just have it as a keepsake and display item if I can't use it. So far, I've done two washes and rinses in hot soapy water and scrubbed with a toothbrush....
Razor 1.jpg
Razor 3.jpg
Razor 4.jpg
Razor 5.jpg

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First off, welcome to B&B! Your dad's old Tech looks great as is to me although I'm known around here as a historic preservation nut. I say use it as is, it's lasted 60+ years already and ought to go plenty more. Don't scrub too hard or use a polish on that cap or you may lose definition in that etched name. I don't think that's a zamak cap but I wouldn't worry about it.

After your washings it seems ready to use, now put a blade in and go for it. Enjoy using your heirloom!

Welcome! The razor looks good to me. Use it in good health. I've not used a Tech but I have heard many good things about them. You should get great shaves.

Your razor is made of brass. The zamak ones came later and have a slightly different top cap. It looks in really good shape actually. I'd give it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and soapy water. It should come clean pretty easy. Then use it and enjoy it.

I have one just like yours, stamped X2, and it is an amazingly great razor. One of my favourites.

Hot soapy water, toothbrush and a rag should be all you need to clean it up and enjoy. Once you get the hang of it, it will deliver many close and enjoyable shaves.

It is a well made, durable item. Don't worry that you will damage it.

Thanks for the advice gents. I went for it!

I used a Feather blade and Proraso white soap. For a first try with it I think it went ok. I did get a few weepers though I think that's just down to not having the proper angle dialed in yet. I'm used to my Merkur 34C that I use most of the time.

I'll keep at it. I really like the look and feel of the narrow handle. And I think my dad would be happy one of his sons was getting use out of his razors.

That is a great razor. Techs are all I use and I am from Canada as well.

Glad you were able to start using it with memory of your dad in mind, making it even more special.

What a wonderful heirloom to be able to remember your father by. Use it in good spirit, that's a fantastic little razor. It should last you many years.

First off, welcome to B & B. Second, congratulations on having a family keepsake. Third, your keepsake is a terrific razor that many (myself included) regard as exceptional razors. My particular favorites are the English & Canadian made Techs. You've got a winner my friend! Once you shave with it a few more times you'll be rewarded with consistently smooth efficient shaves.

Top Bottom