What's new

Advice for macro lens

I got some cash that's close to burn my pocket, so I better spent them before it happens :biggrin1:

I have to options; an air conditioning for my apartment or a macro lens in the region of 100 mm.
No relation whatsoever between the two options, but I'm leaning towards the macro lens, as it will give me most fun (I think and hope:001_smile)
If I get hot I have a perfect excuse to grab a cold beer or two and do absolutely nothing :wink:

So, with that in mind I have been researching for options (I'm using a Sony SLT-A77V) and I'm down to these lenses:
Sony SAL-100M28 AF 100/2.8 Macro
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro
(Sigma 150 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro)
---
Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro
Tokina AT-X 100 AF PRO D 100mm f/2.8 (haven't been able to find a Sony mount in Denmark yet)

The two first mentioned are the ones I'm leaning towards, but at least her in Denmark there is a significant difference in price of the two.
The Sony is of course dedicated to the camera, but I have also read really good reviews of the Sigma, so...?

Here, with today's exchange rates the cost is about:
Sony £675, €806, $883
Sigma £405, €483, $530

The 150 mm Sigma is close to the Sony in price, but the focal length is probably getting too large.

Are there any of you gentlemen who have knowledge about any of the lenses?

If you can find the Tokina by all means get that one, they make fantastic glass especially at f2.8 or faster.

I just purchased the Tamron as the Tokina isn't made in my mount (Pentax), I got it at more than $200 off retail price so that made up my mind. My father owns the same Tamron and likes it.

I doubt you will go wrong with any 1:1 F2.8 macro lens, they are all pretty solid these days.

A side note, I am a believer in UV filters to protect my lens investments (some people don't agree with me though) and I just came across a company called Gobe who seem to make good products at reasonable prices. I picked up their German glass UV filter and it seems pretty good especially for the price.

Let us know how you make out with the lens purchase?

Soren, I'm assuming A-mount, so the new 90mm Sony macro is a no-go.

I use the older Sigma 105mm f2.8 on my A77 and have for years. Never an issue. But the fact that macro lenses are intriniscally sharp means it's hard to foul up a purchase. I even loved a vivitar/cosina/phoenix 100mm f3.8 macro that needed a matched multiplyer to reach 1:1 - but it was only £70!

Legion

Staff member
Of the ones you have listed, I would buy the sigma 105mm.

Thinking outside the box.... Most of the time, when I shoot macro I turn the AF off and focus manually.

Now... How long are you planning on keeping that a77? Sony have all but abandoned the A series. Do you really want to invest much more on glass for a dying system?

Would it be worth thinking about what platform you plan on changing to next, buying a macro for that, and using an adaptor + manual focus in the meantime?

OK so what do you take photos of?

My macro selection is 55, 105 & 200 macro.

What I am shooting dictates which lens I will use. Table top means a longer lens to get back from the light table. Outside I can use shorter lenses.

If you can find the Tokina by all means get that one, they make fantastic glass especially at f2.8 or faster.

I just purchased the Tamron as the Tokina isn't made in my mount (Pentax), I got it at more than $200 off retail price so that made up my mind. My father owns the same Tamron and likes it.

I doubt you will go wrong with any 1:1 F2.8 macro lens, they are all pretty solid these days.

A side note, I am a believer in UV filters to protect my lens investments (some people don't agree with me though) and I just came across a company called Gobe who seem to make good products at reasonable prices. I picked up their German glass UV filter and it seems pretty good especially for the price.

Let us know how you make out with the lens purchase?

I have a 35-200mm Tokina and it is my favourite lens, so it was definitely on my radar, but after visiting the Tokina webpage I have found out they don't make it for Sony.
I prefer some kind of filter too, but don't always use one.

Soren, I'm assuming A-mount, so the new 90mm Sony macro is a no-go.

I use the older Sigma 105mm f2.8 on my A77 and have for years. Never an issue. But the fact that macro lenses are intriniscally sharp means it's hard to foul up a purchase. I even loved a vivitar/cosina/phoenix 100mm f3.8 macro that needed a matched multiplyer to reach 1:1 - but it was only £70!

After reading reviews, I came to the same conclusion, the small differences they seem to notice is when a photo is blown up to an extent that is abnormal, so with my use I don't think I will notice a difference - it may be there and be noticeable when compared side-by-side.

Of the ones you have listed, I would buy the sigma 105mm.

Thinking outside the box.... Most of the time, when I shoot macro I turn the AF off and focus manually.

Now... How long are you planning on keeping that a77? Sony have all but abandoned the A series. Do you really want to invest much more on glass for a dying system?

Would it be worth thinking about what platform you plan on changing to next, buying a macro for that, and using an adaptor + manual focus in the meantime?

I plan on keeping the camera for years to come (if it will last), so I'm fine with the investment, especially since I found this article.
But it is a very good point, and I should start thinking ahead, although it is difficult because things changes so quickly, but when this camera gets too old or gives up, Sony isn't going to be my new system.

OK so what do you take photos of?

My macro selection is 55, 105 & 200 macro.

What I am shooting dictates which lens I will use. Table top means a longer lens to get back from the light table. Outside I can use shorter lenses.

I take mostly photos of nature stuff and stills, and I have a Minolta 50 mm macro I am very pleased with, but I would like to be able to have a little more distance to the object.

I take mostly photos of nature stuff and stills, and I have a Minolta 50 mm macro I am very pleased with, but I would like to be able to have a little more distance to the object.

I would not recommend much over a 100-135 for hand held.

Tripod or a rifle stock mount you can use a 200mm but this means set up time and a lot of missed "opportunity shots".

In the studio I use my 105 and 200 pretty much equally. If I need less depth of field I will lean to the longer lens

I'm a Nikon user so not familiar with those lenses, currently have the Nikon 60mm and 105mm, had the 200mm but didn't use it much so sold it, as mentioned it was a big and heavy lens and needed a tripod. The 60mm is mostly used for underwater in the day as it does nice for non macro fish shots. 105mm is by far my favorite lens, not too big or heavy, and it's a great focal length for normal stuff.

On land the 60mm working distance isn't enough for me, but it's a super sharp lens and does great as a normal lens, might be something to consider if you want it as a macro only, or to use for normal stuff.

Taken with the Nikon 60mm. http://www.pbase.com/scotty51/image/149724679/original

Thank you very much for all your input gentlemen - I really appreciate it.

I found a German photoshop who had a used one for sale at almost the same price as the Sigma, so I pulled the trigger on that.

In the EU a manufacturer must give 24 months "right of complaint" according to legislation, of which the first 12 month is warranty.
This one still has 12 month right of complaint left and the dealer is giving 6 month warranty with a 1 month return right - so it was really a no-brainer for me at this point.

The Sony lens also has the advantage, for me, that the filter size is 55 mm and I already have a couple of lenses with that size, the Sigma was 62 mm.

It should arrive mid-end of next week, and I am already quite excited of trying it out :001_smile

Once again; thank you very much for your comments
proxy.php

The Tokina 100mm is the king of macro and great for portraits too. I had the sigma 105 before, which is a fine lens also, but the Tokina is better in all respects.

I will definitely try to be more active.

I have taken photos for decades but somehow it was pushed aside from other stuff, and about three four years ago I took it up again, even joined a local photo club to enhance my skills and get inspiration.
Then I had to change job a couple of years ago and had to move to the other part of the country for it, and once again photography was a bit sidelined, when I was trying to come to terms with my new life.
I am an introvert, and we are not fond of sudden and/or big changes, so I has taken me some time to settle in.

Beginning to get there :001_smile, and I have set a goal to prioritise photography more as I have really missed it, I have a lot of fun driving or walking around trying to find suitable objects to photograph.

Sounds like you got a good deal, I look forward to seeing some sample shots once you get used to the lens. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that lens!

Just a personal opinion of mine to consider: when/if you purchase a new camera, nothing against Sony as I like their products very much, but one of the major reasons many people choose Pentax is their long term commitment to a single mount. As a consumer I appreciate very much when a manufacturer cares even a little bit about their customer's pocket books over the long term.

Not very familiar with macro photography, but I've heard of something similar to a teleconverter that you can use? Not sure how that works but it might be a cheaper option

Legion

Staff member
Not very familiar with macro photography, but I've heard of something similar to a teleconverter that you can use? Not sure how that works but it might be a cheaper option

Extension tubes. All they really do is move the lens away from the sensor, which has a macro effect. They work, but the biggest problem is you reduce the light throughput quite a lot. Also, with digital, you can get issues with the pitch that the light rays hit the sensor.

Not an ideal solution, but they are an option if you want to play around without spending too much.

My first "macro" experience was a set of 3 filters with different magnification to screw in in front of the lens.
They worked quite OK for what they where, and if nothing else they where a good learning experience. The crisp sharpness lacks when using them, but they convinced me to get a real macro lens, and made me buy the 50 mm I have been using for many years.
The filters are easier to carry and are a cheaper solution than the tube - as I recall, an extension tube wasn't exactly cheap.

Sounds like you got a good deal, I look forward to seeing some sample shots once you get used to the lens. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that lens!

Just a personal opinion of mine to consider: when/if you purchase a new camera, nothing against Sony as I like their products very much, but one of the major reasons many people choose Pentax is their long term commitment to a single mount. As a consumer I appreciate very much when a manufacturer cares even a little bit about their customer's pocket books over the long term.

I think it is the general problem with Sony, they have a tendency to just change formats every couple of years in anything they produce. It is a good way to get consumers to buy new, but quite annoying as a consumer, and I don't know if they thought they could get away with in the camera world, but in my opinion they will lose customers, because we don't all have the money to change camera and all lenses every 4-5 years.

I am not planning on getting a new camera as long as this one works fine, but when I do, I will be looking into a system that seems to be stable.

a7r11, sony fe24-70 2.8 and a couple of $50 extension tubes. (my mom made the thimble when she was alive so its sentimental)
black table top. one reading lamp camera right, one 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper to the left. F20, 70mm 8 seconds. A little bit of cropping.
money for the shot but not bad.

If you have a long enough lens you might start with macro extension tubes until you make a real choice.
https://flic.kr/p/GJfhfj

Nice photo and thimble as well.

Got my lens today, yay :001_smile and an unexpected day off from work tomorrow, so I know what I am going to do; sleep in late and watch Netflix all day :wink:
First impression of the lens is quite nice.

Top Bottom