What's new

Advice for irritation?

Hello
I switched to DE shaving a year ago. firstly to try and ease my skin irritation I got from using a Mach 3 and cut down on cost (not that it did much).

ive managed to get any irritation reasonably under control but there is one area on the right side of my neck or left side if someone is looking at me. that I seem to have issues with still.

I would just grow facial hair so I don't have to shave but I'd still have to shave over the problem area to shape it as I don't have any hair on that area on the other side of my neck. so it doesn't solve the issue.

The irritation should be pictured below. I doesn't show up right away but about 24 hours later it does. it doesn't go away unless I don't shave for 2 weeks.

irritation.jpg

my current items im using are

pre shave: GFT limes skin food
(was using proraso pre shave and GTF as post shave but ran out of proraso and used this and found an improvement for me.)
Cream/ soap : GFT Limes shaving cream or Boots original shaving stick.
brush: yaqi 24mm synthetic Sagrada Familia
prost shave: GFT limes skin food (was using Nivea but this ive found works better for me)
Blade: Voskhod or Feather (both seem to give me the least irritation out of what I've tried so far.)
razor: Muhle R108 faux tortoiseshell handle with R89 head (just switched to this from the twist to open Wilkinson sword classic and seems to have made a big improvement)

my routine normally is shower/washface, pre shave, shave, rinse face then post shave product.

I don't think I use too much pressure and the direction of my hair is a bit all over the place in that area.

I'm struggling to work out what I can do to minimise this further now as I've looked at threads on here. and tried things out.

Those are ingrown hairs. You could avoid shaving against the grain there and that'll probably help quite a bit. It can be hard with the growth direction swirling around but if you pay close attention to it, you can get there. I have the same problem and I've found I can make a pass that's between XTG and ATG that gives me a close shave without causing ingrowns. If I go straight ATG it happens every time.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I have the same issue, although my irritation shows up quicker than yours, and my beard (and yours appears the same) on that part of my neck grows in a different direction than on the upper part of my neck/throat. What helped me was two thing:
  1. I only go with the grain for that portion of the neck, which means I only shave from South to North for the first couple of inches of my throat.

2. I try to never do more than 2 passes for my lower neck.
Basically I settle for a close comfortable shave on that portion of my face -- it doesn't look any different to people around me, but I can tell that it's not as close as the part of my face that is north of the Adam's Apple....but that's better to me than the irritation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This is common. You can see where the direction of growth changes exactly where the irritation starts. It appears the bottom inch grows upward. Try shaving just that bottom bit of growth from the bottom up if thats not already the way you do it. I have a similar spot on my neck in the same spot where the erratic growth pattern combined with very tender skin is challenging. Also stretch skin as much as possible. Palm of free hand placed under chin can add a bit of tension in this area.

Change the direction of your shave, I got great results by shaving upwards in one area of my neck FIRST then downwards for the second pass. Had irritation in that area for a long time before it dawned on me.

I concur with the other gents. You are getting ingrown hairs and it is probably because the direction of hair growth changes there. Try shaving that area first as much as possible with the grain. You may want to lay off multiple passes in that area for a little while till things clear up.

As you can see some of us face the same problem - including me.

Like you, my beard particularly on my neck changes grows in so many directions and then in spots swirls so that a WTG pass in meaningless. I look to see in what direction my beard grows the most and that becomes my WTG pass realizing that in some spots it may be XTG and ATG. I then use a very light touch in going in that direction. Because every pass I take on my face is against the grain it is essential that I use a very light touch. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

Also, using a milder razor will help.

Hello
I switched to DE shaving a year ago. firstly to try and ease my skin irritation I got from using a Mach 3 and cut down on cost (not that it did much).

ive managed to get any irritation reasonably under control but there is one area on the right side of my neck or left side if someone is looking at me. that I seem to have issues with still.

I would just grow facial hair so I don't have to shave but I'd still have to shave over the problem area to shape it as I don't have any hair on that area on the other side of my neck. so it doesn't solve the issue.

The irritation should be pictured below. I doesn't show up right away but about 24 hours later it does. it doesn't go away unless I don't shave for 2 weeks.

View attachment 1051304

my current items im using are

pre shave: GFT limes skin food
(was using proraso pre shave and GTF as post shave but ran out of proraso and used this and found an improvement for me.)
Cream/ soap : GFT Limes shaving cream or Boots original shaving stick.
brush: yaqi 24mm synthetic Sagrada Familia
prost shave: GFT limes skin food (was using Nivea but this ive found works better for me)
Blade: Voskhod or Feather (both seem to give me the least irritation out of what I've tried so far.)
razor: Muhle R108 faux tortoiseshell handle with R89 head (just switched to this from the twist to open Wilkinson sword classic and seems to have made a big improvement)

my routine normally is shower/washface, pre shave, shave, rinse face then post shave product.

I don't think I use too much pressure and the direction of my hair is a bit all over the place in that area.

I'm struggling to work out what I can do to minimise this further now as I've looked at threads on here. and tried things out.

I suspect your comment about grain direction being inconsistent on your neck may be part of the issue. You may need to change shaving direction several times during your shave to accommodate the grain. It looks like most of irritation is at in the bottom inch or so of your neck, where the grain direction changes. If your first pass is going against the grain on portions of your neck, you will get irritation.

Personally, I could not use GFT lime as lime scented products cause skin irritation for me. You might not have a sensitivity to lime like I do, but if your neck irritation is not showing up for a while after the shave, there could be something in the preshave, cream, or skin food that is triggering the reaction.

I have used GFT almond, but find that it is lacking in slickness, cushion and post-shave conditioning compared to some better soaps. However, I have never used it with the preshave, so that might be enhancing the properties of the soap.

Be careful with Feather blades. Although they are extremely sharp out of the package, the edge deteriorates more quickly than most other blades. I have a tough beard. I can get two wonderful shaves with Feather blades, but by the third shave the edge has deteriorated to the point the edge is so harsh I cannot complete the shave without irritation. Your beard might not be as tough as mine, but when the blade starts to feel rough, it is time to replace it.

Great advice above!

Mapping the direction of your hair/beard growth should help you plan your shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think a shave that is CCS,DFS,BBS range is sometimes better for certain skin types and finding a mild razor could help that problem. Getting a close shave for some folks can give them issues because of ingrown hairs, so getting a BBS shave might not be the answer. I have a few razors that can give me those shaves and I enjoy the shave for a few hrs. Mapping the grain on your beard could help also after 2 or 3 days growth.
DFS.bbs  just after a shave! (2).jpg

Top photo taken a couple yrs ago.
This is what a BBS looks like on my skin, the potential for in-growns are there possibly. Taken with my Andonstar USB 500 x magnifacation. Just after a good shave with skin hydrated again with some coffee and water ingested.

DFS whiskers looks like 1.5 hrs later..jpg

This is what the little rascals look like 2 hrs later just starting to come out of the skin so to speak with about 500x magnification.
One days growth of beard (2).jpg

One days growth to me gives that sand paper feel I hate but it could be a little safer for those who have issues with ingrown hairs. This was taken with my Andonstar 500 X USB microscope that I use for other hobbies because of my getting poor eye site.
Some fellows shave differently in the sensitive areas to reduce the irritation(1 pass instead of 3) and can go for a closer shave in the not so sensitive area of the face. Using a cartridge with multi blades is not the solution to your skin issue from my observation.
Hope this helps you!
Have some great shaves.

Very common mate. It's the same type of irritation I get easily. Become a master of the WTG pass. Then work in a XTG pass to get you close to smooth. Finish with Thayers original (not alcohol free!). A quality astringent like witch hazel will deter the bacteria that makes that redness stick around.

I have the same issue, although my irritation shows up quicker than yours, and my beard (and yours appears the same) on that part of my neck grows in a different direction than on the upper part of my neck/throat. What helped me was two thing:
  1. I only go with the grain for that portion of the neck, which means I only shave from South to North for the first couple of inches of my throat.

2. I try to never do more than 2 passes for my lower neck.
Basically I settle for a close comfortable shave on that portion of my face -- it doesn't look any different to people around me, but I can tell that it's not as close as the part of my face that is north of the Adam's Apple....but that's better to me than the irritation.

Good luck and keep us posted.
thanks. I thought id found the answer after switching razors from the Wilkson sword to the muhle but the fact it takes a day to show up doesn't gave me false hope. although it is a significant improvement its probably technique I feel.

I haven't done more than one pass for about 6 months 90% of the time 1 pass good enough for me personally. I think I need to let it grow a bit and see which way it grows again as after finding a photo from this time last year, weirdly I think its changed then make sure I'm going WTG on that area.

Great advice above!

Mapping the direction of your hair/beard growth should help you plan your shaves.
thanks I think I need to remap the growth the sort of hairline round that area has changed a little and its less patchy than its so its probably contributing some of the irritation.

I think a shave that is CCS,DFS,BBS range is sometimes better for certain skin types and finding a mild razor could help that problem. Getting a close shave for some folks can give them issues because of ingrown hairs, so getting a BBS shave might not be the answer. I have a few razors that can give me those shaves and I enjoy the shave for a few hrs. Mapping the grain on your beard could help also after 2 or 3 days growth.
View attachment 1051391
Top photo taken a couple yrs ago.
This is what a BBS looks like on my skin, the potential for in-growns are there possibly. Taken with my Andonstar USB 500 x magnifacation. Just after a good shave with skin hydrated again with some coffee and water ingested.

View attachment 1051404
This is what the little rascals look like 2 hrs later just starting to come out of the skin so to speak with about 500x magnification.
View attachment 1051409
One days growth to me gives that sand paper feel I hate but it could be a little safer for those who have issues with ingrown hairs. This was taken with my Andonstar 500 X USB microscope that I use for other hobbies because of my getting poor eye site.
Some fellows shave differently in the sensitive areas to reduce the irritation(1 pass instead of 3) and can go for a closer shave in the not so sensitive area of the face. Using a cartridge with multi blades is not the solution to your skin issue from my observation.
Hope this helps you!
Have some great shaves.
the images are quite interesting. id ruled going back to multi blade cartridges. the irritation is the least ive ever had right now It used to be all over my face with multi blades. DE's have reduced it so I guess its technique and prep/aftercare.

Very common mate. It's the same type of irritation I get easily. Become a master of the WTG pass. Then work in a XTG pass to get you close to smooth. Finish with Thayers original (not alcohol free!). A quality astringent like witch hazel will deter the bacteria that makes that redness stick around.
thanks. ive given up with xtg and atg passes and do a 1 pass shave its good enough for me 90% of the time. I've been meaning witch hazel or alternative. every time I see it I forget to purchase it I will do this week.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
the images are quite interesting. id ruled going back to multi blade cartridges. the irritation is the least ive ever had right now It used to be all over my face with multi blades. DE's have reduced it so I guess its technique and prep/aftercare.
A good and inexpensive razor to possibly consider is the Razorock SLOC double edge. (Excellent mild carefree daily driver.)

Also the Oneblade core might be a consideration also, I found that I get less irritation & nicks from that razor than most, blades are a bit pricey but they have the razor on sale with 10 blades and stand for $19.95 and that is a bargin to see if it works. The Feather FHS-10 blades are only good for 2 shaves and then are spent, don't try to get more if you are already getting irritation because they get tuggy on the 3rd shave. (excellent mild razor that gives a great shave.)
I you want a close shave it takes me 3 passes to get CCS,DFS,BBs range most of the time with the Core for myself.
Anyways hope this little information helps.
Have some great shaves!

I am trialing the Feather Artist Club SS as a solution for a similar problem. I've only done 2 shaves with it so far, but so far it's been great results: better than the DE razors I've tried for getting a close shave on the neckline without too much irritation. This morning's shave I used the DE as the final pass on most areas, but the AC for the neck and jawline cleanup. Closest shaves in years. (I switched to DE a long time ago to reduce neck irritation also.)

The idea with the AC is that the increased control I get from the unguarded blade gives me more freedom to do what I want in trouble spots. As I say, still an experiment. This is, admittedly, somewhat the opposite of the other recommendations here for a *milder* razor.

Top Bottom