What's new

Advice for first time restoration

Hi all,

I got this razor on eBay for my first restoration.

I've read about not killing the edge before I hone this but I also don't want to cut myself while sanding and polishing.

The scales are quite good and tight so I was going to leave them on and just clean around them.

Unknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpegUnknown.jpeg

Hi all,

I got this razor on eBay for my first restoration.

I've read about not killing the edge before I hone this but I also don't want to cut myself while sanding and polishing.

The scales are quite good and tight so I was going to leave them on and just clean around them.

View attachment 931304View attachment 931305View attachment 931306

It appears to have a nick on the edge. Killing the edge won't add any additional work since the nick will need to be removed.

You can make a block with rare earth magnets under a metal plate. This keeps the edge in contact with the plate, greatly decreasing a chance of cutting yourself while holding it still while you sand the blade.
proxy.php

proxy.php

You can make a block with rare earth magnets under a metal plate. This keeps the edge in contact with the plate, greatly decreasing a chance of cutting yourself while holding it still while you sand the blade.
proxy.php

proxy.php

That’s pretty cool!

Some great advice above, but keep in mind a blunt razor edge will still cut you I know one did me.
the jig above is worth its weight in gold, well worth the time in making one.
But the razor you bought does have a chip in the blade, so even if you dull the edge it wont matter as you will have to hone the chip out..

proxy.php

proxy.php
Thats genius and I never would have thought about that. Great idea!

Top Bottom