What's new

Advice for first SR shave

Hi All,

I acquired my first straight razor earlier this week and plan to use it to trim my beard this weekend, neck and cheeks, looking for some advice.

First of all do I ideally need to switch hands depending on which side I’m shaving or should I just reach across?

Secondly does anyone have any advice/thoughts about marking out where to stop before shaving the beard?

Lastly any other advice for a first timer?

Thanks!

Pull your skin tight with free hand when shaving.

Use light pressure and let the blade do the work.

Go slowly and do not rush.

Avoid doing on an airplane in turbulence.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hi All,

I acquired my first straight razor earlier this week and plan to use it to trim my beard this weekend, neck and cheeks, looking for some advice.

First of all do I ideally need to switch hands depending on which side I’m shaving or should I just reach across?

Secondly does anyone have any advice/thoughts about marking out where to stop before shaving the beard?

Lastly any other advice for a first timer?

Thanks!

FIRST... is it shave ready? Here is one way to find out. Is My Razor Sharp? The Treetopping Test | Badger & Blade. Another way is the HHT.

SECOND... do you have a hanging leather strop?

If the razor is not sharp (No, I don't mean sharp enough to shave arm hair. That is a good test for a pocketknife, but in no way indicates a straight razor is sharp enough to shave your face!) and you don't have a strop, wait until you see to those two little details before you try to shave.

You can switch hands if you like, and I suggest you try it first. If you can't get the hang of it, nothing wrong with shaving one handed. I have been doing it that way for over 30 years and it hasn't caused global warming or financial collapse or hurricanes or earthquakes or.... uh, well, anyway no harm done, right? Seriously, it doesn't really matter except it is best to try develop ambidextrous shaving skills if at all possible.

Watch lots of vids. Read lots of threads. Check back in after your first attempt, or if there are any questions about shave readiness or a strop.

I’m pretty sure that it’s shave ready, it came from billyji1 on eBay who came recommended on here, I’ll try one of the tests you mentioned this evening.

I have a paddle strop, again from the aforementioned, cotton canvas and leather.

I’ll take a look at some videos. Any to recommend? If not I look at the ones linked in the stickies and have a further search.

Thanks

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Since you have a beard, I would recommend videos by Anthony Esposito because of the way he marks off his goatee. You may find that useful.

I was where you are exactly one year ago.

Watch and read a lot, straight razor "diehards" are incredible help around here.
My only advice is, give straight razor credit it deserves, but do not be freaked out of your mind, they are more forgiving than you imagine they are as a new shaver.

If you have spare time, you can see how it all started for me here for whatever it's worth, may be something in there helps you out a bit.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I’m pretty sure that it’s shave ready, it came from billyji1 on eBay who came recommended on here, I’ll try one of the tests you mentioned this evening.

I have a paddle strop, again from the aforementioned, cotton canvas and leather.

I’ll take a look at some videos. Any to recommend? If not I look at the ones linked in the stickies and have a further search.

Thanks

I very strongly recommend a hanging strop. You want the very slight sag and resilience of hanging leather, for everyday stropping. YMMV but I don't find a paddle to be particularly effective or useful, compared to a regular hanging strop.

Thanks, I was recommended the paddle strop buy the guy I bought it from, he also sells hanging ones. I understand that being new to this I’m less likely to knacker my razor with a paddle.

If you have spare time, you can see how it all started for me here for whatever it's worth, may be something in there helps you out a bit.

Bbb34 how do you find your SR shaves compared to DE now a year on, do you shave with both or exclusively SR?

Bbb34 how do you find your SR shaves compared to DE now a year on, do you shave with both or exclusively SR?

I shave with both, no hard rule for me, and I do truly enjoy both.

Shaving with DE for me is nearly perfect every single time where most of my shaves with straight are great, but every now and then one of those "slightly rough ones" will sneak into the mix. That said, years of shaving with DE significantly outnumber my straight razors shaving year(s) - started with DE when I was 15 (raising kids properly - thanks dad... lol)

Last two weeks all my shaves (36-48 hours frequency) were exclusively with straight razor, and only two were a bit rougher while the rest was great. DE for me (Timeless with 0.95 gap and Feather or Kai blades for the most part) still shaves a bit closer, more predictable and muscle memory is there, where straights still demand my full attention. In a year worth of shaving with straight (not sure I'm over that 100 shaves mark just yet, probably close to it) I have yet to have any serious blood loss, some minor nicks, but even those have been very rare for me. I did have less than perfect shaves from time to time, but no major cuts.

You'll get great support around here, as long as you don't ask for advice if you should buy more straight razors. :D

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I did my first straight shave April 28 and used a straight exclusively since and I shave daily. My shaves are every bit as good as DE and I began that in 1964. If I can do it anyone can.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was thinking more about how he outlined the area by scraping off lather. You will learn to shave against the grain. One thing that is good for edging a beard is a 4/8 razor. I don’t have a beard but use that size a lot.

Thanks, I was recommended the paddle strop buy the guy I bought it from, he also sells hanging ones. I understand that being new to this I’m less likely to knacker my razor with a paddle.
I like my paddle strop. I have a Illinois two piece horse hide and linen that I got barely used for $25.

I’ve taken a look at this, helpful although my grain goes the opposite way so I’d have to shave upwards.
I am about 20 SR shaves in front of you. I do two passes with the grain and then work on the chin and under the nose in detail. I also do some across the where I know I have issues. I do ATG on the neck only.

I started with a Feather SS folding shavette because I didn't want to have to fool with sharpening and stropping right off the bat. Sometimes I use three razors including the Feather just for grins.

I've found using the lather to be more important and I like for it to be wet.

Top Bottom