What's new

Advice for a Mere Mortal in the Realm of Wetshaving

Hey everybody! My name is Will and I'm from Louisiana. I joined this rather helpful site a few weeks ago, and since then have found many users who are passionate and knowledgeable about shaving. Now, let's jump into the part about wetshaving (for that is the title of this post).:laugh:

I am new to shaving with a double-edge razor and brush. I did some reading up on pre-shave routines and stumbled upon one that made the most sense. Wet face first with warm water, followed by a hot (but not painfully hot) towel for several minutes, brush on lather and massage into skin, then splash face with warm water to begin your passes.
This routine makes sense because you aren't overdrying/exfoliating your face but instead using the natural oils in the skin to provide extra lubrication for better glide. I enjoy this ritual and find that it helps to prep the skin for the shave.
My shaving equipment includes:
Parker Silvertip brush
Merkur 34C HD w/ Astra SP Blades
Petal Pusher Fancies Kokum Butter Soap
Mama Bear's Summer Aftershave Balm

I did loads of research on this site and on the net to find reputable companies/manufacturers to acquire products that are both skin and eco-friendly. I notice that I feel slight razor burn/cuts and redness after a shave. I generously apply the Mama Bear's Aftershave to help soothe my skin, which it definitely does. As said before, I am a beginner and I greatly look forward to more practice to enhance my technique and the like.

QUESTIONS:
1). I perform a downward and upward pass, should I stick with simply a few downward (against the grain) passes, or should I practice both with and against?
2). When I bowl lather, it seems that the lather disappears by the time I am ready to shave, should I just face lather?

Thank you for reading this post and I hope I share similar questions to other newbies out there who are also wondering!

On (2) that sounds like "use more product". Is your water hard? It takes more soap or cream in proportion to hardness. Or you can get some distilled water for lathering. I always face-lather myself, and I think you should try it. But bowl vs face is a matter of taste.

On (1), I would forget about down and up and concentrate on grain pattern. Depending on your face "with the grain" (WTG) may not always be downward. For example I have a strip at the bottom of my throat where downward is XTG in some spots and ATG in others. Map it out and follow the grain. At first you should stick with WTG only until you can do that with no irritation. Then you can add additional WTG passes or experiment with XTG and ATG. Any time you have irritation, back off and let your skin heal.

On (2) that sounds like "use more product". Is your water hard? It takes more soap or cream in proportion to hardness. Or you can get some distilled water for lathering. I always face-lather myself, and I think you should try it. But bowl vs face is a matter of taste.

On (1), I would forget about down and up and concentrate on grain pattern. Depending on your face "with the grain" (WTG) may not always be downward. For example I have a strip at the bottom of my throat where downward is XTG in some spots and ATG in others. Map it out and follow the grain. At first you should stick with WTG only until you can do that with no irritation. Then you can add additional WTG passes or experiment with XTG and ATG. Any time you have irritation, back off and let your skin heal.

+1

Welcome! I compiled my usual "new to shaving" comments into a guide (see signature). Mantic's videos and the stickies here are where I started, and I found them to be excellent.

I would definitely hold off with ATG if it's causing irritation, either a couple WTG's or a WTG and a XTG should be able to both give you a fairly good shave and good practice.
Also, for the prep, I am not sure, and nor am I the best preper, but from what I understand, it is best to apply some lather to your face before the towel, and then to put the warm and wet towel on your face for a couple minutes over the lather. Then rinse and re-apply and shave

Welcome to B&B. There is some good tips and advise here from our great members, please keep us posted on your decisions and progress. [ I would face lather by the way.]

I prefer to bowl lather and paint it on, working the lather straight to the face just causes me irritation. It seems that it is easier for me to control the consistency of the lather too. Try cold water shaving sometime, I found that I much prefer it. My skin just cant handle shaving ATG, I typically do WTG, then XTG from opposite directions.

Welcome who dat! In the beginning most people find it easier to make a with the grain pass WTG and perhaps an across the grain pass XTG. Avoid against the grain ATG until you develop your technique and feel comfortable with it.

Thank you everyone, I'll follow the advice and hold off ATG until I become more comfortable with wetshaving. I'm also excited to try face lathering.

Hey everyone so I have been wetshaving for 2 years now love it just picked up a new technique for opening up the skin. I was getting a barber shave and he placed this menthol gel/balm reminded me of "Vic's " (by the smell) and then the hot towel felt great. I will get the info on this products and let everyone know what it is I want to incorporate it into my home shave I had substantial growth (4 days oooops) and only very mild irritation that was quickly dealt with .... Keep an eye on this thread if your interested

Fil

Hey everyone so I have been wetshaving for 2 years now love it just picked up a new technique for opening up the skin. I was getting a barber shave and he placed this menthol gel/balm reminded me of "Vic's " (by the smell) and then the hot towel felt great. I will get the info on this products and let everyone know what it is I want to incorporate it into my home shave I had substantial growth (4 days oooops) and only very mild irritation that was quickly dealt with .... Keep an eye on this thread if your interested

Fil

You should try the Proraso pre/post shave creame if you liked that gel. It's marvelous! I use it as a preshave in a rotation with Zirh Pre-shave Oil. Sometimes i'll use both! lol

Top Bottom