What's new

Advice: Flying With a DE Kit

Well, just as I was trying to justify the need of a second brush for myself, Opportunity Knocks: my sister in Florida is requesting I fly down to photograph my nephew's college graduation (FSU) in May. "Photographer" is one of the several hats I wear in life, and everyone loved the pictures I took at his HS graduation a handful of years back.

Last time out, I moaned and took a Mach3 travel kit with Nivea-in-a-can. I survived, but it wasn't much fun. Now, I want to take a Gillette Super Adjustable, a pack o' Dorco blades, maybe buy this travel brush right now (opinions welcome on this as well), and maybe this shave cream (ditto) in travel-size.

What's the deal with the TSA in regard to having a DE setup in my carry-on luggage? I managed okay last time out dealing with not having my film (yes, film) excessively x-rayed, but I wonder how they are with old-school shaving gear; I imagine they'd more than raise an eyebrow if I was a carrying a straight, but what, if anything, am I up against showing up at LGA with a lil' old DE? I'm bugged enough about possibly being charged extra for my two pieces of carry-on (and i always travel light).

(Hey...maybe I should give him the razor and pack of blades just before I head home, and, quoting the Beatles, say "Take this, Brother, may it serve you well." I'll keep the brush, however!)

- Barrett

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if you can get on a plane with a pack of razor blades in your carry on luggage.

In Oz the blades would be confiscated at check in. You can however pack the blades in your check in luggage that travels in the hold.

Cheers

This is definitely where ymmv. Some screeners are better than others. You could take your kit and have no problem on the outbound leg and then find they confiscate your prized possessions on the return leg.

I carried my Futur through Paris and they found it. Fortunately, I had checked the blades, so np. I've carried a cartridge shaver for years on 2 flights per week, with no problem.

Ron

Opinions on this issue have differed (sharply, at times). Here is what the TSA says: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I think that although the TSA says that safety razors are an exception, their definition of "safety razor" is not the same as our. To be safest, take the DE razor, but leave the blades at home and pick up a pack of Personnas at Wal-mart when you get to Florida.
Allen: So far, that sounds like the smartest advice, as much a bother as it is, alas. It's no wonder Amtrak is doing better than ever.

- Barrett

The only way DE blades fly are when they're in the baggage pit with the rest of the checked luggage. Best advice, either check your bag or buy blades at your destination.

Opinions on this issue have differed (sharply, at times). Here is what the TSA says: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I think that although the TSA says that safety razors are an exception, their definition of "safety razor" is not the same as our. To be safest, take the DE razor, but leave the blades at home and pick up a pack of Personnas at Wal-mart when you get to Florida.

I agree, when they say "Safety Razor" I think it is a fair assumption they mean the dreaded evil multiblade cartridge razors.

As for a travel brush have you considered the Simpson Major? You can get it in Best or Super depending on what you want to spend. I have one in Best and it is a great travel brush!

I survived, but it wasn't much fun. Now, I want to take a Gillette Super Adjustable, a pack o' Dorco blades, maybe buy this travel brush right now (opinions welcome on this as well), and maybe this shave cream (ditto) in travel-size.

I don't really know much about TSA regulations, but I happen to have a Vulfix travel brush (the turnback variety) and wouldn't recommend buying one unless you already have and enjoy using a Vulfix brush. At least the one I have is extremely floppy, so much so that I never use it and consider it to be my only truly failed wetshaving purchase.

Per TSA regulations, DE blades are explicitly NOT allowed in carry on luggage. The same with SE and injector blades as well. Don't try to interpret the rules otherwise.

That's one way of putting it. :lol:

Per TSA regulations, DE blades are explicitly NOT allowed in carry on luggage. The same with SE and injector blades as well. Don't try to interpret the rules otherwise.

+1 on the whole post, with strong emphasis on the last part. The rest of us don't want to get stuck behind people who think they know better than the person who has the power to stop them from getting on the plane.

I would be very surprised if you can get on a plane with a pack of razor blades in your carry on luggage.

In Oz the blades would be confiscated at check in. You can however pack the blades in your check in luggage that travels in the hold.

Cheers

+1 on this, albeit in the UK. No way I would get through security with blades in my carry on. Got stopped once for carrying nail clippers:w00t:

TSA Regs? It depends on what the over paid, under intelligent idiot decides what's acceptable. I've had a lighter confiscated by one of these morons when I was deploying to Iraq. He felt the M18 was ok (broken down), but a lighter was a no no.

I've inadvertently taken a Swiss Army knife through Australian airport security, and a DE blade that I'd left inside a folding mirror and forgotten about pretty much everywhere. But on the way through Oz I was forced to put my tin of shaving soap in a little plastic bag...

With great regret I threw away the Victorinox when I found it in Kuala Lumpur, and I've also taken the blade out of the mirror even though they'd never find it. I take a Bic metal if I want to just carry-on.

My motto is, never pick an argument with a man in uniform who is given rubber gloves as part of his job.

+1 on the whole post, with strong emphasis on the last part. The rest of us don't want to get stuck behind people who think they know better than the person who has the power to stop them from getting on the plane.

+1.

This thread comes up once a week, I swear.

As before, I refer the thread author to the wiki. And, from a common sense perspective, I ask that people think about the value of any blade, especially a razor blade, to a would-be hijacker. That's why you can't take them on a plane.

Boy, is this relevent...I just went thru a TSA check in Las Vegas. The Xray machine showed my Super Speed in my carry-on backpack and they searched it thoroughly. I was told they had seen a 'dull' blade in the Xray and were going to find it. After I showed her how to open the razor and that there were no blades in it, they continued the search and Xrayed my bag several more times. I can hardly wait to see how the 35mm film turned out that I was carrying. TSA never did believe me when I told them the blades were packed in the checked in bag. when I return the blade AND razor will go in the belly of the plane. Took me an extra 20 minutes, after they searched me because of my fake knee, and I nearly missed my plane.

Now I just have to convince they that the rolls of 110 film I bought here in S. C. need to be hand checked. Anyone else noticed that the change from white shirts to blue for TSA has caused a change in attitude on their part towards the flying public????

Boy, is this relevent...I just went thru a TSA check in Las Vegas. The Xray machine showed my Super Speed in my carry-on backpack and they searched it thoroughly. I was told they had seen a 'dull' blade in the Xray and were going to find it. After I showed her how to open the razor and that there were no blades in it, they continued the search and Xrayed my bag several more times. I can hardly wait to see how the 35mm film turned out that I was carrying. TSA never did believe me when I told them the blades were packed in the checked in bag. when I return the blade AND razor will go in the belly of the plane. Took me an extra 20 minutes, after they searched me because of my fake knee, and I nearly missed my plane.

Now I just have to convince they that the rolls of 110 film I bought here in S. C. need to be hand checked. Anyone else noticed that the change from white shirts to blue for TSA has caused a change in attitude on their part towards the flying public????

Yikes. It's a good thing you unloaded the razor first. I mean, that experience sucks, but they'd probably whip out the gloves if they'd found a blade in there. :frown:

Top Bottom