What's new

Advice About Eyeglasses

Well, folks, its the dreaded time when I must select new glasses frames. I've had my current glasses for several years. Any advice--serious or humorous--from you eyewear fashionistas about frames? upload_2017-7-5_17-56-48.png

My wife and I always end up getting the first style that Lester shows us.
Lester is a local optician that we've been going to for the past 20 years.
Any time I go in thinking I know what I want, he steers me to something else, and after a few hours or days we see that he was totally right.
So our motto is "Always Do What Lester Says."

Find a trustworthy/competent optician (by word of mouth), and see what they say.

Get your prescription, then go look at www.warbyparker.com .

They also have a few walk-in retail stores in select major cities, but the majority of their business model is geared towards the mail-order customer.

They will help you select the best style for your size/shape of face, then send you 5 different frames to try on at home before they make your custom pair. Name-brand, designer labels at deep discounts.

Don't forget to spend a little more to get the best lenses available. You want all the coatings for anti-scratch, anti-glare, UV protection, etc. Consider the new progressive lenses. Maybe you're a candidate for those lenses that darken in sunlight, maybe not.

I haven't used Warby Parker myself, but they get rave reviews. My next pair of glasses will probably come from them, since local opticians are asking ridiculous prices, even with insurance.

LASIK. Truly a miracle.
My wife and daughter both had LASIK. I'm not a good candidate because of dry eyes, which can be exacerbated by LASIK. Also I have astigmatism, which LASIK can correct but it doesn't last as long. And it doesn't correct presbyopia easily.

My wife and daughter both had LASIK. I'm not a good candidate because of dry eyes, which can be exacerbated by LASIK. Also I have astigmatism, which LASIK can correct but it doesn't last as long. And it doesn't correct presbyopia easily.
Yeah, it isn't the perfect fit for everyone. I waited until after fifty so my vision wouldn't change as much, and I still need readers, but it's nice getting good sunglasses and being able to see clearly when I first wake up in the morning.

My son had Lasik and it was perfect for him. Not for me and my astigmatic bifocal-ed eyes.
Those frames look good on you but a frameless look might work well.
I've found some website where you can upload your picture and match it with their frames to see what they look like.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They look good on you. Do you have anything in mind? Similar, more bold or maybe frameless?

I'm by no means a eyewear fashionistas on frames.
A few month back, I had to get my first pair of glasses at the tender age of 49. I had my eyes checked, glasses recommended, picked the frames straight away. After trying on a few pairs I decided to make a quick desision on the spot, no take home pairs, no time to ponder, just a rush of blood to the head. :)

Willian Morris was my choice. They have red on the back side but you can't really see that when they are worn.

20170706_182616.jpg

Hmmmm I need a hair cut.

20170706_181832.jpg

Maybe you're a candidate for those lenses that darken in sunlight, maybe not.

I got transitions lenses on my prior pair of glasses and hated them. It didn't darken nearly enough when it needed to, and it partially darkened most of the time, making me look like I just pulled 3 all-nighters in a row. This time around I stuck with regular lenses and have been 100x happier. Eventually, once I get enough $$ saved up, I may get some prescription sunglasses.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Theres a new option to LASIK out soon I believe: Implantable Bionic Lens could give you lasting, perfect eyesight

For regular everyday frames I prefer steel or wire over anything else. I've been wearing the pair I have now over 20 years and no issues, with Crizal lenses.

I've also always had a pair of Rx sunglasses. Mine are Bolle and unbreakable, which has proven itself true thus far haha.

Julbo also makes excellent glasses and frames, if you like a more "sporty" style: Sunglasses | Products | Julbo Eyewear

I can't wear Transition lenses. I need a stronger prescription now and the Transition lenses would be too thick and heavy.

I just recently picked up on two pair of fit-over HD sunglasses, the AS SEEN ON TV kind. I got one pair for daytime driving, one pair for night.

The daytime drivers are great for my vision. Everything is sharpened and higher contrast and it removes UV and sun glare. They are not very comfortable, though.

The nighttime pair is too dark for most of the roads I drive on. They would be good in nighttime city traffic with lots of street lamps and facing oncoming traffic, but my driving is mostly on suburban and rural roads at night.

I've been looking for a good pair of fit-over sunglasses for years, and they are extremely hard to find ... even Optician shops and places like Sunglass Hut don't carry them. And when I ask for them, I have to explain myself several times before they know what I'm talking about.

I've worn glasses for nearly 30 years. I prefer plastic frames, as I find them lighter. Other than that, whatever fits my face.

I have been wearing glasses for over 47 years and now I buy as light and strong as possible, so titanium for me

I wear glasses all day everyday and I have learned not to cheap out. My last pair were Prodesign and I wore them for about 5 yrs

I am now wearing Lindberg acetanium (dark havana #AC77, frame 1231). They ain't cheap, but they are light as a feather and pull down compliments

For the first time ever, I spent about 30 minutes going through the frame options and finding frames that fit me and looked good on me. So far, that decision has paid off immensely. Instead of the constant headaches and subtly poor fit that characterized my prior glasses (resulting in me never wearing them), I now have well-fitting, comfortable glasses that complement my face shape.

It feels like I've worn my new glasses more in the first month than I wore my previous pair in 4 years. Turns out that fit matters... a lot!

I've worn glasses nearly my entire life. I'm just getting to thinking about the frames. I have enjoyed using zenni optical online to get cheap additional pairs to spice up my look. It gets pricey when I factor in the bifocal part. I also no longer opt for coatings or anything like that. That just seems to gunk up the lenses for me.

Comfort beats everything. See my avatar. I wear Oakly Flak Jackets with transition lenses. Most comfortable glasses I've ever owned. Been wearing them for about 5 years now.

Top Bottom