What's new

Adventures with a Gillette Tech

I agree. I find that Feather blades last much longer in a mild razor. I can get at least 10 shaves with a Feather in a Tech or Feather AS-D2 razor. A feather in a more aggressive razor seems to last just two good shaves.

Interesting, I currently have a Feather loaded in a Merkur 1904 open comb, which is one of the mildest razors I have(ignoring vintage gillettes etc). I think I'll just leave the blade in the razor for a while to see how long it lasts...

...In terms of angle, I've found moving the handle closer to the face to be more effective than lifting it up away from the face, is this sort of what you mean you say watch the angle?
What you're describing is a "steeper" angle, i.e. the angle the blade makes with the skin. That can be very effective. There is a neutral angle and a small range on either side of neutral.where the blade cuts the absolute closest, Go too shallow and the blade starts to lift away from the skin; too steep and you get a kind of paint scraper effect which is as uncomfortable as it sounds.
😁

Crikey, I've used carbon steel Treet's for 20-ish before now, and they rust if you're not careful to dry them off!!

I tend to find many blades actually get better after the first few shaves - if you've never tried pushing one to 20+ days you're probably blissfully unaware of how usable they can still be at that point... Which is fine, they're cheap after all, it just seems wasteful somehow to discard a blade with so much use left in it, or maybe that's just me?

Crikey, I've used carbon steel Treet's for 20-ish before now, and they rust if you're not careful to dry them off!!

I tend to find many blades actually get better after the first few shaves - if you've never tried pushing one to 20+ days you're probably blissfully unaware of how usable they can still be at that point... Which is fine, they're cheap after all, it just seems wasteful somehow to discard a blade with so much use left in it, or maybe that's just me?
Try dipping the blades in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) before storing the razor. It protects your blades.

Coming from a Fatip OC, r41 2011 and Futur? I don't know what were you expecting. Unlike those beasts that Tech is very mild, not just mild. There is a very small probability you will be able to get a BBS in 2 passes with it even using a Feather.
Having a heavy beard I have always wondered why did Gillete made those Techs in the 50s so terribly mild. The pre war design was soo good. That said it didn't stop me from buying more than 20 of the milder Techs. [emoji38]

Gillette focused on comfort and convenience, which apparently suited the majority of shavers.

Schick focused on speed and ease of use.

ASR was for those for whom the 5 o'clock shadow was an issue

Ads early 50s:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A Tech with a heavier SS handle will transform the Tech as you have discovered. I like a handle weighing around 60g.
Doesn't make it more aggressive but it does make it more efficient.

Still experimenting on blade pairings for my "new" Prewar Tech. Currently running a Kai, which for me is even better than the Feather I had in it last week. Really close to perfect...

I’ve been using the Israeli Reds, now the German Blues, and enjoying the shaved. A tuck of the Bic Platinum Chrome is on the way and I look forward to trying them.

I’ve been using the Israeli Reds, now the German Blues, and enjoying the shaved. A tuck of the Bic Platinum Chrome is on the way and I look forward to trying them.
The Israeli reds are excellent in a tech. I haven’t tried the German personnas yet but only because I don’t need any blades right now. Mainly GSBs which are my favorite blade in a tech

I have a pre war, post war and a Canadian prewar tech.
I like the Canadian prewar the best. It is a notch more aggressive and has more blade feel. I sampled many blades and the GSB is my exclusive blade that I use.

The Israeli reds are excellent in a tech. I haven’t tried the German personnas yet but only because I don’t need any blades right now. Mainly GSBs which are my favorite blade in a tech

I like the GSBs too.
For me platinum coated blades are smoother.
It’s a YMMV thing.

This morning is my fat handle Tech with a new Personna Platinum blade and Proraso Red. I’ll be switching to my Gillette New OC for OCtober.
And the journey continues…

Top Bottom