What's new

Adventures with a Gillette Tech

My UK Tech ball end #24 (1956) is my favourite DE razor but i must admit that the only weak of this razor is the angle. It is not an intuitive angle, just like on TTO models for instance. The optimal effective angle is also quite narrow.

Which means that the optimal cutting angle can be missed very easily ! Hence many comments which say that this razor is not very effective...

So it may sound paradoxical but i wouldn't recommend it to a newbie as a very first razor, although it is very smooth for the skin.

In my opinion, it is better to start DE shaving with a modern model like Merkur 34 HD/DE89/Rockwell, etc..., or vintage TTOs and once the beginner has mastered the way to find the optimal angle with a safety razor, then he can try the Tech...

I don't know if you will agree with me guys but, in my case :

- if i apply a steeper angle (handle too perpendicular to the skin), i'm not shaved close.

- if i apply a shallower angle (handle too parallel to the skin), i'm not shaved close + i get red blood points. (with very sharp blades)

I must shave with the optimal cutting angle to get an excellent performance with this Tech...

My UK Tech ball end #24 (1956) is my favourite DE razor but i must admit that the only weak of this razor is the angle. It is not an intuitive angle, just like on TTO models for instance. The optimal effective angle is also quite narrow.

Which means that the optimal cutting angle can be missed very easily ! Hence many comments which say that this razor is not very effective...

So it may sound paradoxical but i wouldn't recommend it to a newbie as a very first razor, although it is very smooth for the skin.

In my opinion, it is better to start DE shaving with a modern model like Merkur 34 HD/DE89/Rockwell, etc..., or vintage TTOs and once the beginner has mastered the way to find the optimal angle with a safety razor, then he can try the Tech...

I don't know if you will agree with me guys but, in my case :

- if i apply a steeper angle (handle too perpendicular to the skin), i'm not shaved close.

- if i apply a shallower angle (handle too parallel to the skin), i'm not shaved close + i get red blood points. (with very sharp blades)

I must shave with the optimal cutting angle to get an excellent performance with this Tech...
I love my 1960 ball end tech paired with nacet blades. As for not recommending for beginners they're great to learn good technique .

Top Bottom