What's new

Adventures with a Gillette Tech

Finally got round to experimenting with my first tech I've had since February. It's a 1960's NOS model (no date code that I can see) with an aluminium handle. Initially I used a couple of Rapira Super Stainless blades, which have been working really well for me in just about any razor I've put them in, however in the tech they seemed to be just skipping over the tougher hair on my chin. I put this down to the handle not having enough heft to pull through tougher, more resistant hairs on my chin.

I appreciate that these techs are considered 'mild', but I wasn't prepared for this level of mildness. So I upgraded the handle to an Ikon stainless heavyweight handle and changed blade to an Astra SP. After a 4-pass shave I was left with a smooth shave with only the odd weeper where I did some blade buffing and j-hooking. The post-shave wipe down with witch hazel gave a little sting indicating that I had gone a bit too close in some areas.

Really quite pleased with this razor although I don't like having to do more than 2 passes to get a properly close shave. I guess I've been spoiled the last lot of months having used open combs pretty much exclusively (Piccolo V1, R41 2011) and a Merkur Futur, which can all get a BBS in just 2 passes. Maybe I'll just keep the tech for days when I have the time to do more passes like at the weekend. Suppose the next logical step is I upgrade the blade to maybe a Voskhod or Feather.

Anyone here have similar experiences with the tech, if so what has worked for you?

Thanks,

R

The aluminum handle tech is a light razor. Gillette silver blue blades work well for me in techs. Personally I prefer the heavier all brass pre 1965 techs and can get a good pass shave from them

I've found the best Tech blade matches with Feather, Kai, Personna Med Prep and other blades on the sharper end of the spectrum.

Watch your shaving angle carefully, the effective angle is narrow. If you are off a little, you will not get as close. I've found it worthwhile to shave with the same razor for a week or so to get the muscle memory dialed in.

I prefer the earlier all-brass Tech models with the fat handle. You can use a heavier handle, but go too heavy and it throws off the balance a bit.

I love love love my tech shaves.
I've always said you can whip them around with no worries of a nick.
Recently I got a Feather AS D2 ina large lot... it's wonderful, but the best I can describe it is like a heavy tech lol.
Ignore (or don't) the merkur progress...that was a recent trade for one of my extra techs I've not used yet... that'll be tomorrow ;) .
20210805_010156.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've found the best Tech blade matches with Feather, Kai, Personna Med Prep and other blades on the sharper end of the spectrum.

Watch your shaving angle carefully, the effective angle is narrow. If you are off a little, you will not get as close. I've found it worthwhile to shave with the same razor for a week or so to get the muscle memory dialed in.

I prefer the earlier all-brass Tech models with the fat handle. You can use a heavier handle, but go too heavy and it throws off the balance a bit.
This right here. I have an aluminum Tech from '71 and it's super light. But, a Feather blade will easily get me a DFS in two passes. BBS in three no problem.
Feather + Tech = Nirvana.

Agree with these fine Gentlemen! :thumbsup:

I finally got around to giving my lone tech a whirl a week ago after owning it about a year and not thinking it would cut based on how mild it appeared running it over the fleshy part of my palm (my pre flight check).

Haven’t touched my Super Speed since.

With a Permasharp and canned goo, the tech just goes through everything and is so comfortable, that I have to keep checking that a blade is in there. Great razor!

In our house growing up we had a Tech and a Super. Fortunately I still have those same razors in great condition. I always wanted to use the Super because it was gold and fancy, but probably logged more shaves on the Tech with a blade that had been used a dozen times by the time I used it. I don't recall any good shaves from those days. But I like all the techs I have....except the open comb tech. I have yet to get a decent shave from that puppy.

The tech and its close cousin the NEW are awesome razors! The design works very well, is easy to use and will get you BBS easily. I agree with the posts that recommend one of the sharper blades. I find GSBs, KCGs and the 7 o'clock platinums (black box) work very well.

When I believed in Feathers, they worked well, but at this point something that sharp will only sap and impurify my bodily fluids. I deny the Feathers, mandrake.

I loosen them retighten until snug, but not quite tight for my 3rd touch up pass to get the stubborn stuff on my chin and jawline.
I saw a marked difference in the end result.

I’ve ended up favouring the Gillette 7oclock Yellow “Sharp Edge” (Russian manufacture) in my tech. Great performance and good longevity

Top Bottom