What's new

Adventures of an Injector Weekend

One of my high school "training" razors was a Schick Injector that formerly belonged to my Gramps. In the service, I "upgraded" to a Trac II and my shaving life went downhill from there until a couple years ago when I got back to wetshaving with a Gillette DE!

I came upon a couple well-used G-Type Injectors in a mixed lot of razors that I purchased last month . . . finally picked up some blades this week to see if today's shave was as good as yesterday's nostalgic memory is.

The razor I grabbed had the nicer head of the two, but I noticed a little crack at the top of the handle where the head attaches. The cracks were right on the seam, both front and back sides, about 1/4" long.

When loading the blade, I had to push a little to get the blade to inject . . . and promptly broke a chunk out of the handle right at the crack! :cursing: The head dropped into the sink . . . but since I wasn't well-dressed enough to run out to my shop and get the other one, I decided to just push the head back into the cracked handle and go with it!!

The shave was interesting . . . the razor glided smoothly along my normal first-path route. It really didn't feel like it was doing anything but removing lather. The razor gave me as much feedback as my Grand Marquis does on a rough stretch of road - NONE!!

To my pleasant surprise, even without razor feedback, my first pass was quite nice! Likewise for the second, although I did raise a couple of weepers and did nick a particularly mean spot on my chin. End result, after a little styptic and a third-pass buff on my neck I was sporting a DFS!

On Sunday, SWMBO and her mother took a little shopping trip, leaving "us guys" home alone. Right after lathering for my second pass, the phone rang. My son answered the phone, and sure enough, SWMBO needed my undivided attention from the housewares aisle! Quickly performing the second pass to avoid lathering the phone, I almost immediately felt some minor irritation and again, a few weepers that required a dab of styptic. :001_unsur

What was really amazing was that even after the rushed (and careless) second pass, I still had an acceptable result!! I didn't buff, since I figured that would only aggravate the irritation.

This morning I gave it another try . . . no blood or irritation today, but still a little shy of DFS. I also noticed a little pull . . . not what I normally expect from the third shave on a blade.

I'm sure the loose head didn't help, and I probably pushed it a little too hard. So, tomorrow I will return to either my Aristocrat or Gem Jr. and give this well-worn Schick a proper burial and rest my face for a few days.

I will clean up another Schick and try again later. I really hope to put an injector into the regular rotation!

Brad,

I think you will find yourself well rewarded with a sound injector razor and quality blades. Enjoy!

Thanks much!

Actually, counter-offer: I have a perfectly good G that's an extra I won't use...was planning to decapitate it from the handle to make a frankenrazor...but since you've now got a free head, want to swap mine for yours? I seriously don't need it but if you can use it, you'll keep me from scrapping it.

Top Bottom