What's new

Adventures into an Old World

Sirs,

I know full well that we have some shoephiliacs in the Speakeasy. I had rather a shoe-related adventure today, and gained some excellent shoe-knowledge courtesy of the proprietor of a lovely, traditional shoemaker's shop. The purpose of this post is manifold:

i. To get shoes back onto the Speakeasy agenda where they belong (!)

ii. To repeat the head cobbler's valuable tips for you, and to hear your invaluable comments on them (apologies if you know them already)

iii. To recount my adventures in a shop from the Olde World that has somehow remained (much like our favourite London barbers and shaveries) at odds against the modern world

iv. To show off some great shoes to likeminded gents. :whistling: :lol:

Oxford is a pretty, old place - one that was somehow spared the bombs of Hitler that destroyed so much else of Britain (not to forget our own bombs dropped on Germany, of course). We have some lovely tailors here which look like the old Truefitt-and-Hill style shops of London's Mayfair area. They are small, dark, oak-filled, and usually extremely warm, from the large open fires found therein. Even a shabby student such as myself can expect a discreet and generous degree of service from a pleasant old soul who has no doubt seen people infinitely more well-disposed than me, and yet who is gentlemanly enough to treat me with an equal degree of respect.

If those are the tailors, which I know quite well, this story is of a shop I didn't know at all: Ducker and Son of Turl Street, a tiny, ancient lane right in the heart of the city, winding between Lincoln, Jesus, and Exeter Colleges. I was walking past with my wife, and there was a lovely pair of women's shoes in the window, advertised at a sale price. So, for the first time, we went into Duckers.

proxy.php

Shoes, shoeboxes, and leather books lined its walls. A low doorway led from the small shop into a darkened back area. First impression: leather. It was everywhere, hanging from all surfaces, not least filling the air with its beautiful aroma. A charming old man in a good suit underneath a green overall (a great sign!) greeted us and showed us to a pair of heavy, green leather chairs.

While my wife tried on her shoes, I looked around this ancient place, wondering why I had never entered before. Looking at the truly immense price-tags underneath the shoes, I realised why. However, the shoes had a bewitching effect on me. The longer it took my wife to try her shoes, the longer the spell of the shop had its opportunity to weave its magic upon me. I could feel the scent of the leather disappearing into my mind with silent approval. I felt that special brand of vulnerability known only to a man that loves shaving products upon walking into Trumpers.

Before long, I was in the chair, and being measured. It turns out that my feet are actually 3 sizes smaller than I thought (size 9, not size 10 1/2, measuring in traditional 1/2 sizes). The shoes I buy usually are, clearly, far too big. The gentleman knowingly told me that this is because I have wide feet and, in a normal shop, would therefore need bigger shoes in order to achieve the required width. To console me, he said that this was very common, but that now I had walked "into a shoemaker's shop". After I had expressed a preference for a particular tan-coloured shoe, he disappeared up a ladder and returned with a pair of newborn shoes.

I think for the first time since I left school, I experienced the fit of shoes that actually meet the size of my feet, rather than, as the gentleman noticed, shoes that are far too large. I was concerned - what was that feeling of slight constraint around the arch of my foot? He assured me that this was how shoes were supposed to feel: that was the feeling of comfortable support provided by good shoes that fit properly.

So, perhaps unsurprisingly, I handed over my bank card and let nature take its course.

However, buying the shoes was really only the start of the adventure.

He reached up to the series of leather tomes, and pulled down the one with the largest number: "27". The large, heavy pages were covered with names, contact details, and foot-related data. As I provided the information, he duly penned it into the book. He later told me that his ledgers contained the names of prime ministers, authors, and notaries - the few I recognised included J.R.R. Tolkien and Baron von Richthofen (WWI's "Red Baron" flying ace). "Just so that I have your measurements when you need more shoes, or a repair to these ones, sir."

He then sat my wife and I down again, and imparted some shoe-related maintenance knowledge. His manner was very interesting, and clearly the result of the years spent talking with customers - his tone was instructive, proud of his product, but also of a tone that made it sound that he thought I knew it already. Of course, I didn't (my shoe knowledge is rudimentary), but I appreciated the tact and delicacy with which he provided this detailed education.

My wife is better with the details than my hopeless attempts to remember, but I do recall the following:

- Polish them every time you use them, or, at least twice per week.

- Use cream to repair damage, but do not press at all. (This reminded me of shaving.) Pressing can damage the leather, and make dark spots appear. I was instantly reminded of the dark spots covering most of my shoes from unknowingly doing exactly this.

- Apply polish with a brush, cream with a cloth. (Having read the Shoe Shine thread, I know there are alternatives to this law.)

- He provided all of the items required to maintain the shoes for free. This was pleasant, but also a disturbing reminder that I had just paid a terrifying sum of money for my shoes (see below). A small brush to put on the polish, another to take it off. Use different sets of brushes for different coloured shoes.

- Good shoes, like cars, need servicing. He emphasised that I should notify him when I felt the shoes needed attention ("you'll know when", in answer to my question), and that he would send someone around to collect them. The leather soles could wear on the ball of the foot, or heel, and "a simple service and they will be back in this condition", he said, gesturing with some pride towards his (now my!) shoes.

- Always put them on by fully opening wide the laces, bending wide the sides, and pulling forward the tongue (his demonstration was exceedingly wide, in fact). Push the toes in as far as possible, and apply a shoe-horn at the rear to hold the backs out while sliding the heel into the shoe.

So it was done. He walked us to the door, held it open, said a sincere thank-you, and saw us out into the drizzling winter morning.

As promised, the articles in question:

(Click for a larger image.)

He even provided felt foot-bags, which my wife usually makes for me. The Chinese (as is my wife) say that the quality footware is critical for maintaining good health. In English, we have a related saying, "If you want to know the quality of the man, look at his shoes." Have I been converted to buying in Ducker and Sons? Honestly, after wearing that old man's lovely shoes, I sincerely cannot imagine how I managed without. Like so many other threads that we have here in the Speakeasy on similar subjects, it pays to invest in quality. I wish I had discovered good shoes a long time ago... That quiet old shop doesn't need to shout about itself; it just sits in silence, knowingly, certain in the knowledge that "we'll let them come to us".

I hope you enjoyed it; apologies for the length, and thanks for reading. :shifty:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Sounds like a delightful experience, I wish there existed such a place here in Canada.

There absolutely has to be one somewhere there. You guys are famous for having three of the five highest-standards of living cities in the whole world, right? I bet you've got a ton of great places hidden away... :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I too know that feeling. I have three pairs of proper English bench made shoes made in Northampton. A pair of Alfred Sargent brogues, a pair of Cheaney Derbies and my favourite a lovely pair of Trickers brogues.

They are just so comfortable and I feel good wearing them. Sounds daft but it's true. Oddly enough, I enjoy polishing them too!

Must be weird!

Gareth

They are just so comfortable and I feel good wearing them. Sounds daft but it's true. Oddly enough, I enjoy polishing them too!

Must be weird!

Gareth, I'm coming to wonder if either i). we're both weird, because I find polishing these shoes to be strangely enjoyable or (and I hope this is more likely), ii). polishing good shoes the "right way" is very much like shaving the "right way". It's an apparently mundane, every-day task which can somehow be transformed into a thing of enjoyment.

I really hope it's ii, but I can live with being weird if it's this enjoyable. ;)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Marvelous story Hobbes, and well told might I add. I see we may have to try to recruit you for some writing projects here at B&B.

Oh, the shoes are mighty nice as well. :smile:

Well written, thank you. Quality trumps price and stores like that will never be entirely replaced by "chains".

Glad you liked it, thank you sir! You're right about the quality aspect, but the funny thing is that I hadn't really paid the shop much attention. It was entirely off my radar. It wasn't until I actually put my foot into them, walked around, and felt the sensation of good shoes that I came to realise just how significant the difference was. I usually buy "decent" shoes (something robust from, say, Clarks) - but these just felt entirely new. It was a genuine surprise - maybe similar to the feeling one has after the first non-Mach3/Fusion shave. :)

To this end, I intend a psychological experiment, whereby I shall take my brother who lives right next door to the shop in to try on some shoes, and watch his face. ;)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Hello Hobbes. What a fantastic post. I would love to visit a shop like that. I live in the middle of cattle country here in the States and shoe shop like that is simply not to be found. We do have some artisans that make superb western style boots. True works of art and function. There was one such chap who had a shop here a few years ago. He and his wife both made custom footwear(boots)and they were VERY good at it. He had an approximate 3-4 year waiting time for boots. Sadly they moved the business when she finished her schooling at university.

Currently I have a pair of pull on work boots being repaired by the last cobbler shop in our town. He does not make shoes but does all sorts of repair. He has been around here for a few decades. Walking into his shop is like stepping through a time portal. All these old time shoe repair machines, lasts, and the decor is pretty neat too. It is a shop next to his home. When I pick up my boots I will ask him if it is alright to snap a few photos of his shop and if it is alright to post them here.

Regards, Todd

Todd, glad it read OK for you! I just realised, sitting at a desk in my flat, in the middle of a small town in the UK, getting in contact with folks as widely dispersed as the middle of cattle country in the States is really quite a privilege. It's really quite unusual to think just how far-flung are the writers here at B&B. Great stuff.

The Western-style boots are legendary. I can just imagine the delights inside a proper bootmaker's place... Looking forward to seeing those photos of the place!

3-4 years waiting time is a truly serious boot. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Hello again Hobbes. Well, the cobbler won't be done with my boots for another fortnight because he is so back logged with work. I will post up the photos of his shop then. In the meantime, and with no intent of thread hijacking, here is some information about cowboy boots. I live just outside Kansas City which is nicknamed "Cowtown" and for good reason. It was/is a major beef industry city. It is also the former home of the legendary Hyer Boot Company. It was definitely known as Hyer Boots for a long time. Over 100 years. They sold the company to someone from Texas in the 1970's and it survived as Olathe Boot Company for about twenty more years. The brand disappeared for a few years but is now back in business. However, I have seen some of the newer stuff and I just can't bring myself to love an Olathe Boot that is not made in Olathe Kansas, which is about 25 miles from my home. I have a pair of their boots in elk hide and will try to post up a photo or two for you. The reason that Hyer is so legendary is that they invented the modern cowboy boot. High, undershot heel, and a more pointed toe to facilitate easier entry to the stirrups. This happened around 1875 and while some others from Texas and Mexico try to take credit for it, you won't find an earlier commercial reference to it than from Hyer's. Here are a few links to the Kansas State Historical Society's articles about them and the link to the modern Olathe Boot. KSHS KSHS KSHS Olathe Boot I hope you find them interesting.

Regards, Todd

A Wonderful post Hobbes!

I felt as If I walked through the door with you, I would suspect that this will not be your last pair!

Just looked up Turl Street on Multimap and find it's just behind the indoor market which I almost always wander around when I visit Oxford.

Don't think I've ever been up that lane but I will now. I visit Oxford now and then as it's only 43 miles away along the A40 from Cheltenham where I live. I usually go to visit the Music Room near the station where I can drool over their shop full of melodeons and mandolins!. Now I have another reason for a day out in Oxford!

Gareth

However, I have seen some of the newer stuff and I just can't bring myself to love an Olathe Boot that is not made in Olathe Kansas, which is about 25 miles from my home. I have a pair of their boots in elk hide and will try to post up a photo or two for you.

Hear, hear - something is always "lost in translation". I read in the linked articles (thanks for them, very interesting and new to me) that the 1975 company that bought Hyer only retained a few staff, and some of the machines. At least the brand is continuing. Did you ever come across an actual Hyer boot?

It was saddening to read that even in the Hyer days they couldn't get enough talented young folk studying as apprentices, and so had to stop making the boots per-person, instead concentrating on a "manufacturing line" approach where each (less-skilled) person makes a single component, which are then assembled at the end.

Thanks again for the links!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. They mentioned that even Nixon wore Olathe boots! I can't imagine that! What an insult to a good boot... :)

Just looked up Turl Street on Multimap and find it's just behind the indoor market which I almost always wander around when I visit Oxford. Now I have another reason for a day out in Oxford!

Alrighty, you're virtually a local! The indoor market is an absolute treat, I literally just came back from there. The cheese stall is, without doubt, one of the finest places to buy cheese on Earth. There are rare cheeses for sale therein that cannot be bought in most places in France! The shop was set up by a French nobleman, who was dedicated to bringing proper cheese to the English. Really amazing stuff! If you've not tried them, the Montgomery Cheddar and Colston Bassett Stilton redefine their respective genres, and have won many British "Cheese of the Year" gold awards between them.

Back to Duckers, I'm very glad that you'll give them a go! In fact, prior to visiting the Covered Market, my wife and I went back...

proxy.php

Heeeeelp me!

I had to buy another pair, as I read last night that one shouldn't wear the same shoes for two consecutive days, so that they dry out adequately and regain their shape. I'm sure you know this, but I didn't - and was happy to have an excuse to buy another pair... :)

I'm sure you know that they are supposed to be stored on shoe-trees, too - hence more purchasing... argh!

The acquisition disorder is just like shaving. :001_smile

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Did you ever come across an actual Hyer boot?

Hello Hobbles. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a pair of Hyer brand boots for sale. I have seen several pairs. Mostly on display somewhere but I have run into an older gent or two who were actually wearing them. I was too young in the 70's to either appreciate them or afford them. Those who own surviving pairs do not let them get away from them. My pair says "Olathe Boot" and were made in the late 1980's. The uppers are as good as when new but they are in need of a good re-soling. Which is why I haven't worn them in years. I recently re-discovered the repair shop I mentioned in prior post and found that they had just moved operations after about three decades. So now that I can get them repaired by someone I trutst, I can finally I start wearing them again. To be honest, even though these were production boots(Olathe still offered bespoke at the time I bought them. $$$), they are far and away better than any store bought boot you are likely to buy now.

The shop is called BKB Leather and he does shoe repair, saddle and tack repair, and upholstery. I called the proprietor yesterday and he was quite supportive of my taking pictures and sharing them. It is a modest little place but it truly is like stepping back in time. There are old cowboy hats, boots, lariats, and various old cobbler's tools adorning the walls. I will get the pics up as soon as I can. Glad you enjoyed the links. To be honest, it is a crying shame when proper footwear is rare and priced almost exclusively to the gentry.

Regards, Todd

What a great story. I'll have to search and see if maybe we have a similar shop in the greater area. I would suppose there should be between here and Richmond. I know your words are true, and it will cost my bank account greatly.

I'm glad you liked it, chaps. You won't regret it if you head down that way (there are still plenty of good shoes in the New Year sale, though not in my size), and best of luck finding something equivalent nearby if you're abroad.

Looking forward to the pics of the shoe/tack/upholsterer :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom