What's new

Adventure at a local tea shop

So I wander in to a local tea shop on my lunch break. A sales
lady approaches me and asks if she can help me and whether
I've been there before. I haven't. Her eyes light up.

Warning sign #1: We don't get many men in by themselves.

Sigh. She points me to a "smell bar" with lots of numbered tins
with clear plastic tops. There is a laminated tea list that
shows the numbers. This worries me. Every thing is labeled
organic.

Warning sign #2: She tells me that every tea they sell is certified organic and that is important because you don't have to rinse the leaves. "Rinsing the leaves is just throwing away tea!" :bored:

She asks what sort of tea do I like. I explain that I mostly
drink pu'erhs, both raw and ripe. She excitedly tell me of their
pu'erh selection. All four entries. None of them are marked raw
or ripe.

Warning sign #3: She tells me aged teas like pu'erh are *so* nice since they don't contain any caffeine. :rolleyes:

Warning sign #4: One of the pu'erhs listed rose hips and something that looked like a citrus rind in it. It was flavored shu :eek: Another was a 7-10g mini-tuo.

From looking at the pu'erh tins on the "smell bar" I realized that
I likely won't ever be buying pu'erh from them. I already knew
this but was open to changing my mind.

Warning sign #5: The sales lady mistook my grimace of revulsion at the odor of some really skanky shu with fruit peel as interest in flavored teas.

She says that I may like a japanese green with yuzu. I smell
and politely redirect her to the oolongs. I'm pretty sure that
the DHP and "Wulong" tins are swapped because the "Wulong"
(that is all that is on the label). I haven't had a ton of DHP
but it smells quite close to mine and the tin labeled Big Red
Robe smells completely different.

The good news is that she has to tend to another customer
which leaves me free to sniff at random. I find a tea that labeled
Taiwan Jade that smells nice. It is rolled similar to my Nantuo
dong ding but smells less roasted. I grab some of the Taiwan Jade
and some of the generic "Wulong" because I'm brave and curious.

As she rings me out she starts asking more about my tea
experiences and gets a bit nervous. She wasn't aware that I was a
"serious collector". That's odd because I feel like a total idiot when
it comes to tea.

The long shot upside is that the owner occasionally sells these
"heavy discs" of pu'erh to her special clients. Sometimes they buy
these bundles of discs. I explain how the disc is called a beeng and
a group of beeng is a tong. She asks why I didn't buy an of the pu'erh
in the tins. I explain about provenance and the different
manufacturers and mountains. She has no idea about where most of
their tea comes from.

I likely won't be going back, I suppose. If they think I'm a serious
collector or aficionado of some sort then they've never looked at
teachat or spent much time on the internet. I hadn't realized that in
six months I've learned more about tea than many of the folks running
tea houses. That makes me sad.

No wonder Americans don't drink more tea.

I wonder if I should bother trying to educate them a bit. Given US
demand for pu'erh is fairly low I think it may be a waste.

Note: I hand formatted this because I couldn't make it not look terrible given the short nature of the bits. Please bear with me.

Last edited:
Puerh is not well known by the general public and even less understood. That extends to tea shops as well, although I have a couple of local places that offer extremely limited amounts of puerh. Perhaps it's just as well that puerh isn't more popular. If it was, the prices would go up.

Sorry to grave dig, but did you go into Teavanna? I had a pretty equally crappy experience there...

Sorry to grave dig, but did you go into Teavanna? I had a pretty equally crappy experience there...

This was not Teavanna. It was a small shop in the River Oaks part of town. I don't really want to call them out by name and have this be one of their few google results forever :blushing: I think this shop might be fine for 80% of American tea drinkers.

I'd also like to say that the "Organic" Taiwan Jade they sold me wasn't undrinkable or anything. It just wasn't very good. It brews much better in a basket infuser than in a gaiwan.

Great thread going here! I agree with arghblech. There are certain stores that are perfectly suited for every day teas. I know a couple in Philadelphia that carry a very good selection (all major varieties of green, black and oolong represented). If you are looking for something beyond the single (maybe two) steaps, looking elsewhere is necessary.

For the full scoop on Teavana click here. Includes impressions from former employees :ihih:

It is amazing the amount of knowledge one can pick up from the B&B crowd :biggrin:! On a related note, there is a super-expensive tea room in Washington DC that claims to carry a vaunted selection of puerh (including really old ones). I went there with my wife one afternoon. I ordered what I though was 2003 Sheng Puerh. I am almost certain that what I was served was a Shu Puerh. Given the price, I was very tempted to start peppering the waitress with all kinds of questions that could have made her feel very foolish. On second thought, I decided to hold back. Her command of English was minimal and I did not feel like raising an unnecessary fuss since everything else we ordered was perfectly fine. Certainly, I will be thinking twice before going back. May just have to inquire on when the Tea Sommelier is on duty.

Why do I get the feeling this sales lady suspects that those "disks" are just a clever way to push leaves that are not really tea for those "special clients"?!...

Why do I get the feeling this sales lady suspects that those "disks" are just a clever way to push leaves that are not really tea for those "special clients"?!...

All jokes aside, a friend of my wife used to work with an Asian attorney who sometimes accepted tea as compensation from her Chinese clients. I guess tea as a form of currency has not died yet :biggrin:!

All jokes aside, a friend of my wife used to work with an Asian attorney who sometimes accepted tea as compensation from her Chinese clients. I guess tea as a form of currency has not died yet :biggrin:!

Tea is a common gift, but sadly, the kind of tea that you give as gifts come in extremely pretty packaging, while the tea itself is so-so. Better than super-market grade, but not stuff I would put in the same "tier" as places like Floating Leaves, Hou De, etc.

That being said, don't throw them away! Keep them sealed away in their vacuumed sealed bags, because someday they will be aged tea! Just the other day I found some of this "gift tea" dating from 1996, a lightly roasted but heaver oxidized jin xuan oolong. If it were new, it wouldn't have tasted that great...but because it was aged, it was very interesting. Super sweet with some tomato-like astringency/savoriness.

Top Bottom