What's new

Advantages of a larger brush?

I currently have a brush with a knot size of 20mm, and I'm looking into a new brush? What would be the advantage of getting a larger knot size?

You feel more brush on your face, holds more lather, applies lather quicker, uses up your soaps and creams quicker so you can go through them faster, variety...I like having a good range of knot sizes.

You feel more brush on your face, holds more lather, applies lather quicker, uses up your soaps and creams quicker so you can go through them faster, variety...I like having a good range of knot sizes.

Pretty much sums it up. I like a bigger brush (26-27mm) for these reasons. Sure, it takes a bit longer to load & lather (seriously, not that much longer), but it's worth it. I haven't had any "this brush is too big to maneuver" issues when face lathering.

I always marvelled at the way Geofatboy could whip up a tremendous amount of lather. Ever notice that he uses big brushes in almost every demo? I couldn't get anything like that amount until I started using bigger brushes (and yes, more cream or soap too). I also like the luxurious feeling of having the brush covering a large area of my face as I lather.

i have a small face so a 20mm knot is good for me. However I too am venturing into a new brush. I'm considering a 23mm knot, big but not too big. It's on my Christmas list - shavemac. my sister owes me a nice gift, lol!. and since I got into de shaving (and my brother) she says its easier to shop for gifts for us. she on the other hand...

Larger knots have less of a need to reload for me. I liked the simpson duke 2 a lot but it didn't always have enough lather for me for 3 passes. Another advantage, bigger brushes have bigger handles. I have large hands and smaller brushes feel awkward to use for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have brushes with knots from 18-25mm, and I prefer the smaller ones, with 20-22 seeming to be the sweet spot for me.

You'll have to try them to find your own sweet spot.

Top Bottom