What's new

Advanced techniques

After seeing the original post, I have been trying to observe what the heck it is that I do. I think the two main components in describing my strokes are the direction of travel of the edge and the angle of the edge relative to the direction of travel.

Based on that categorization I use a variety of strokes in each shave:
  1. Edge remains perpendicular to the direction of travel. This is the "traditional" stroke and I use it on WTG passes on my cheeks and for most of the ATG strokes on my neck.
  2. Edge remains at a constant, non-perpendicular angle to the direction of travel. These are either heel-leading or toe-leading strokes and comprise probably about 90% of my strokes for the XTG pass.
  3. Arcing or scything strokes where the angle of the edge rotates around the pivot to some extent. Some overall travel of the razor is generally also included so it's a "sweeping" stroke rather than just a rotation. These are most common in my ATG pass.
  4. A "Sliding" stroke. This is a variant of the heel-leading stroke that also incorporates a *very* minimal travel perpendicular to the direction of travel of the razor (not motion parallel to the edge). As with the heel-leading, this is most common during my XTG pass.
And yes, I would consider the Sliding stroke to be an advanced technique. I never "tried" to do it, it just kind of evolved unconsciously over the last three years.

All the above is FWIW and YMMV, but y'all got me curious.
Same here to some extent. Over time I did start using a windscreen-wiper stroke going WTG and ATG under my jaw-line.

What was new to me is the perpendicular WTG strokes and the sliding stroke where I can manage it. Amazing how light a touch gives a good result, much smoother and more gentle on the skin than the usual strokes.

As expected, I paid my dues in blood to learn something new. Nothing serious, but I have a flat mole on my upper lip that sort of was shaped by razors to handle a defined shaving direction. My second shave gave it a brand new shape, with the resulting blood and it is slowly recovering.

As a noob with only 20+ shaves in with a straight and shavette, I'm amazed how he makes those rapid atg strokes up his neck to jaw 😮 . Surely what seems like reckless abandon to me is just years of practice and experience. It's encouraging to see him do it all right-handed, it gives me hope.

Screenshot_20210423-112319.png

Top Bottom