What's new

Adopting A Dog

Hey Friends! My wife and I have pretty much decided to adopt a dog. I see there are a lot of dog owners on here and want to ask about best steps for training and bringing a dog into the home. We are looking at a 2-month-old Retriever Puppy for reference.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Yes indeed. WWDD (What would Don do?) forget I asked that. That man has no redeeming qualities. Zero.

Nah, go ahead with a puppy if you guys don't have kids, it's great practice. But be prepared as they are a LOT of work. House/crate training, whining at night, chewing everything in sight. It's no picnic. There's a reason puppies are so cute, because we'd kill them if they weren't.

The problem with getting emotionally attached to a puppy is that then nothing else will do, because they are SOOO cute. But, if you go with an adult dog, often you can adopt a really great pet and avoid all the headaches that come from puppies. If you get a youngish one, 2-3 years old, you can have a good really long time with that dog. My wife and I adopted a 2 1/2 year old pit bull mix (she looks kind of like a Carolina Dog) and she's still with us now 11 years later. She's the world's sweetest dog and has been great.

Whatever you decide, I do encourage adoption, as there are lots of great shelter dogs that need good homes.

Would Don Draper adopt? Probably not, he'd spend a bunch of money on a pure bred and then leave it with Betty and the kids and never fool with it.

My wife and I adopted a 2 1/2 year old pit bull mix

We are looking at one of these at the shelter near us almost the exact same age. There is also a puppy that of course is the cutest thing in the world. I'm not really sure which way we are going to go at this point. We don't have any kids but will most likely have one in the next year or so. Any tips for house/crate training?

Definitely do not ask yourself WWDD? Or go ahead and do the opposite of whatever comes to mind.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Any tips for house/crate training?

Not really, as we didn't have to go through that. But from what I understand you just have to be real patient and keep a close eye on them, when they give a sign that they're about to go, then get them outside on the grass so they can go, then give them a treat. When they have an accident inside you should scold, but don't ever hit or rub their nose in it. If one of you is home with them most of the day it will probably go much easier.

It is a good idea whether you get a puppy or an adult dog to pay for one of those basic obedience courses at some point. And I'm sure you know this but talk to the people at the shelter, as they are the experts and can often tell you weather or not a certain dog will be a good fit. If it's a reputable shelter they will actually come and do a site visit, interview and practically vet you guys with a background check before they let you adopt.

It's a good thing you're doing and if your wife is fully on board, you'll both do great.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm hardly an expert, but I can think of a few things I've learned about choosing and having a dog. They pretty much apply to puppies and adult dogs. First of all, get a good book on the subject. After that:

1. If at all possible, meet the dog (probably not an issue if that's a local shelter). Dogs have different personalities, and you want one that you get along with. While you can train a dog, you'll never change that dog's basic personality. Active dogs will be active. "Lazy" dogs will be "lazy." Etc.

2. Choose a dog that fits your situation. If you are in a small apartment with little or no time to get out and run around with that retriever, that retriever puppy is not for you, and the adult retriever that puppy will grow into is even less so. Retrievers are great dogs, but they are active and need some room. Otherwise, they can be a terror. If you have a yard where a retriever can run around, or you are willing to take the dog out for a walk or to a park every day, great!

3. You are not the dog's "master." Dogs are not naturally subservient to humans. What you need to be is the pack leader(s). That takes some real effort and responsibility on your part. The advice about an obedience class is very good--it's for both you and the dog.

4. Scold when you need to, but not violently. A good, sharp "NO" often does the trick (maybe a few). If you have gotten across that you are the pack leader, that dog respects you and wants to please you, and that simple scolding will get across the message that they didn't. Always follow a scolding with praise, reassuring your dog that he's still part of the pack.

5. Crate training is perfectly fine for large, active dogs, so long as it's an appropriate space. Don't use the crate for punishment, ever. It's a safe and personal space, not a dungeon.

6. Do what you can to create a routine and stick to it. If feeding time is X, keep it X if at all possible. If you intend to let the dog out only at certain times, do it and stick to it. If the dog's bedtime is Y, keep it Y. If you always go for a walk at a certain time, stick to it. Dogs are very comfortable with routine. Don't be surprised if your dog insists that you stick to your routine!

7. Patience, patience, patience. Effort, effort, effort. Vigilance, vigilance, vigilance. Dogs will be dogs, and you better believe that puppies will be puppies. It takes time to teach them the rules of the pack. Dogs are no more toys than children are.

8. "Bad" behavior often is a sign that YOU are doing something wrong. If you haven't been clear or consistent with the rules, don't expect your dog to understand them. If you keep messing up your routine or otherwise confuse or neglect your dog, don't be surprised to come home to a lovely "present" in the middle of your den. If you don't get your dog the required activity, don't be surprised to find things knocked over or chewed up.

9. Have fun! Dogs are fun!

I'm hardly an expert, but I can think of a few things I've learned about choosing and having a dog. They pretty much apply to puppies and adult dogs. First of all, get a good book on the subject. After that:

1. If at all possible, meet the dog (probably not an issue if that's a local shelter). Dogs have different personalities, and you want one that you get along with. While you can train a dog, you'll never change that dog's basic personality. Active dogs will be active. "Lazy" dogs will be "lazy." Etc.

2. Choose a dog that fits your situation. If you are in a small apartment with little or no time to get out and run around with that retriever, that retriever puppy is not for you, and the adult retriever that puppy will grow into is even less so. Retrievers are great dogs, but they are active and need some room. Otherwise, they can be a terror. If you have a yard where a retriever can run around, or you are willing to take the dog out for a walk or to a park every day, great!

3. You are not the dog's "master." Dogs are not naturally subservient to humans. What you need to be is the pack leader(s). That takes some real effort and responsibility on your part. The advice about an obedience class is very good--it's for both you and the dog.

4. Scold when you need to, but not violently. A good, sharp "NO" often does the trick (maybe a few). If you have gotten across that you are the pack leader, that dog respects you and wants to please you, and that simple scolding will get across the message that they didn't. Always follow a scolding with praise, reassuring your dog that he's still part of the pack.

5. Crate training is perfectly fine for large, active dogs, so long as it's an appropriate space. Don't use the crate for punishment, ever. It's a safe and personal space, not a dungeon.

6. Do what you can to create a routine and stick to it. If feeding time is X, keep it X if at all possible. If you intend to let the dog out only at certain times, do it and stick to it. If the dog's bedtime is Y, keep it Y. If you always go for a walk at a certain time, stick to it. Dogs are very comfortable with routine. Don't be surprised if your dog insists that you stick to your routine!

7. Patience, patience, patience. Effort, effort, effort. Vigilance, vigilance, vigilance. Dogs will be dogs, and you better believe that puppies will be puppies. It takes time to teach them the rules of the pack. Dogs are no more toys than children are.

8. "Bad" behavior often is a sign that YOU are doing something wrong. If you haven't been clear or consistent with the rules, don't expect your dog to understand them. If you keep messing up your routine or otherwise confuse or neglect your dog, don't be surprised to come home to a lovely "present" in the middle of your den. If you don't get your dog the required activity, don't be surprised to find things knocked over or chewed up.

9. Have fun! Dogs are fun!

Thank you for the very detailed post. A lot of great info there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Doak's post was bang on. Dog training is "You" training for the most part. Routine is very important. And yep dogs need attention.

It is a serious decision but once you have a dog and get used to it . . . it becomes hard not to have a rascal around.

Dogs are the only piece of exercise equipment that come and get you to exercise.

Good luck.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
And I have nothing more to offer other than;

I am certain you are researching it well.

&

Glad you are giving a pup a happy home.

First of all teach no and leave it. Never be mean just use positive reinforcements. Lots of treats. Not every time but frequently. Never any need to actually yell. Work with your dog 6 hours a day the first 6 months and he will never leave your side. I have trained a wild border collie (he was already a year old and took me 8 months to house break) and a pitbull (since he was 7 weeks). I can walk both off leash without worry. I’ve also trained my dogs on hand signals ifi ever needed to give commands with an intruder around. You can your dog to Starbucks for pupacinos and Home Depot allows you to walk around with your dog if you want to try commands in a distracting environment. The beach and dog parks are always good too.

Go to Marshall’s and home goods for dog stuff. I’ve scored $150 Pendleton dog beds for $50 and they always have a varying selection of toys and treats.

If you don’t like it, your dog won’t. Dogs are the only animal that will love you more than itself.
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey Friends! My wife and I have pretty much decided to adopt a dog. I see there are a lot of dog owners on here and want to ask about best steps for training and bringing a dog into the home. We are looking at a 2-month-old Retriever Puppy for reference.
One does not adopt a dog. The dog adopts you. Don’t try to understand it, just let the dog handle it. ❤️

Well at our trip to the shelter last night, none of the dogs chose us. We have a meeting with a year old pitbull this Sunday that we are very excited about. Hopefully she loves us as much as we think we are going to love her.

Well at our trip to the shelter last night, none of the dogs chose us. We have a meeting with a year old pitbull this Sunday that we are very excited about. Hopefully she loves us as much as we think we are going to love her.

Pitties are absolute sweethearts. I had a Pit/Lab mix and she was such a sweetheart and protector. They're stubborn and emotional, though, so they don't do well when you leave them alone for long periods of time. They're also chewers so have Kongs ready. They respond extremely well to training with healthy treats. Get 'em good and tired first.

All the best and post pics!

Well, everyone's situation is different. There's benefits and drawbacks to both a puppy from a breeder/rescue as well as an older dog from a rescue/ breeder. As well as rescue and breeders. Don't let anyone, personally known to you or not, try to guilt you into any dog that you don't feel *that connection* to. You're just going to make yourself and the dog miserable.

In your OP you mentioned a retriever. Damn fine dogs, retrievers. I've had a few over the years. Most familiar with golden and labs, but hunted over a few Chessies. These are dogs that have been bred to go all morning jumping into the water for the ducks you shot. Then spend all afternoon in the pheasant fields flushing and retrieving them. With enough in the tank to play fetch for a couple hours with Junior in the evening.

Now, obviously the preceding paragraph has much to do with training and conditioning. But the energy level is there. Your dog will need to run. A lot. Every day. Whether it's dog park, backyard fetch, any kind of dog sports training, or whatever exercise you can think of. A tired dog is a good dog. A buddy of mine used to take a baseball bat and a couple cans of tennis balls to a lake and ding the balls into the water and send his Chessie after them.

Retrievers are smart. Much smarter than they're given credit for. That means every day you're training them. Sometimes on purpose. The good news is you combine smart, athletic, and a natural people pleaser, that leaves you a dog that can and will do anything for you. Once he figures out what you want.

A word of advice for ANY dog that tugs your heartstrings. Take a good strong look at the breed profile. If it's a mixed breed, look at everything you can recognize. Herding dogs are going to try to herd what's around them. Hunting dogs will want to chase things smaller than them. Guarding dogs will naturally be more standoffish, draft and sled dogs will want to run, etc. Those are instincts you'll either have to refine or work to counter. It can be done, countering a dog's instinct, but it takes lots of work, patience, and understanding.

While I'm here, I want to touch on the whole pet parents thing. In small doses, it's fine. But s/he's your dog. Not your fur baby, not a child, not a thing's that's not a dog. Anthropomorphism isn't helpful. There's an alpha in every pack. Be it(1) please. Because if you don't display leadership and take charge of the pack (your family), there's a good chance the dog will. It's not harsh or mean. That whole "because I'm the dad and I said so, now get moving" believe it or not, is comforting to the dog. It doesn't matter what the rules are, enforcing them firmly, fairly, and (the biggest one) consistently makes a happy dog. That makes a retriever look back at you before running down a flock of ducks, a guard dog look at you when there's a knock on the door to see if he's "on the clock", a herding dog that checks with you before gathering your nieces and nephews at the family reunion. A "fur baby" might not have had the relationship with the masters, might not have that alpha view. In which case, the dog will take over keeping the pack fed, safe, or together.

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? And I guess it is. But about a third is doing your homework. And I'm glad to see you here doing that. The level of homework separates forever homes from shelters. Also, keep in mind good dogs are made, not born(2). Enjoy your search and never stop learning!

(1) Any adult in the house
(2) They all have potential good boy in them, but it takes training to harness it

Sounds like you already have a dog picked out. But if adoption/rescue becomes an option I recommend it whole heartedly. Finding a dog around 2-4 years is great in my experience. Typically house trained and winding down in the puppy/adolescent energy. Rescuing is my preference. I find I can spend some one on one time with a rescue dog and get a feel for their personality and you will be able to tell who is a good fit. I looked at 4 dogs when I got my current girl, and she just clicked with me. She was a 3.5 year old blue pit bull. She was 6 days away from being exterminated when I rescued her. She is the sweetest, loving and loyal dog I’ve ever known. You might even say that you can see how grateful she is as well. She has become the official office dog of my last two employers who just love to have her come to the office as she pays everyone a visit and calmly keeps folks company.

There are so many great dogs of all shapes, sizes, colors, and personalities out there that need a loving home. They cost less money, are often mixed breed and are often healthier in the long run. If this has the potential to be an option for you, please consider it.

Attachments

• E4FBA75B-4EDF-4E01-866F-17536D5CE504.jpeg
    E4FBA75B-4EDF-4E01-866F-17536D5CE504.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, everyone's situation is different. There's benefits and drawbacks to both a puppy from a breeder/rescue as well as an older dog from a rescue/ breeder. As well as rescue and breeders. Don't let anyone, personally known to you or not, try to guilt you into any dog that you don't feel *that connection* to. You're just going to make yourself and the dog miserable.

In your OP you mentioned a retriever. Damn fine dogs, retrievers. I've had a few over the years. Most familiar with golden and labs, but hunted over a few Chessies. These are dogs that have been bred to go all morning jumping into the water for the ducks you shot. Then spend all afternoon in the pheasant fields flushing and retrieving them. With enough in the tank to play fetch for a couple hours with Junior in the evening.

Now, obviously the preceding paragraph has much to do with training and conditioning. But the energy level is there. Your dog will need to run. A lot. Every day. Whether it's dog park, backyard fetch, any kind of dog sports training, or whatever exercise you can think of. A tired dog is a good dog. A buddy of mine used to take a baseball bat and a couple cans of tennis balls to a lake and ding the balls into the water and send his Chessie after them.

Retrievers are smart. Much smarter than they're given credit for. That means every day you're training them. Sometimes on purpose. The good news is you combine smart, athletic, and a natural people pleaser, that leaves you a dog that can and will do anything for you. Once he figures out what you want.

A word of advice for ANY dog that tugs your heartstrings. Take a good strong look at the breed profile. If it's a mixed breed, look at everything you can recognize. Herding dogs are going to try to herd what's around them. Hunting dogs will want to chase things smaller than them. Guarding dogs will naturally be more standoffish, draft and sled dogs will want to run, etc. Those are instincts you'll either have to refine or work to counter. It can be done, countering a dog's instinct, but it takes lots of work, patience, and understanding.

While I'm here, I want to touch on the whole pet parents thing. In small doses, it's fine. But s/he's your dog. Not your fur baby, not a child, not a thing's that's not a dog. Anthropomorphism isn't helpful. There's an alpha in every pack. Be it(1) please. Because if you don't display leadership and take charge of the pack (your family), there's a good chance the dog will. It's not harsh or mean. That whole "because I'm the dad and I said so, now get moving" believe it or not, is comforting to the dog. It doesn't matter what the rules are, enforcing them firmly, fairly, and (the biggest one) consistently makes a happy dog. That makes a retriever look back at you before running down a flock of ducks, a guard dog look at you when there's a knock on the door to see if he's "on the clock", a herding dog that checks with you before gathering your nieces and nephews at the family reunion. A "fur baby" might not have had the relationship with the masters, might not have that alpha view. In which case, the dog will take over keeping the pack fed, safe, or together.

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? And I guess it is. But about a third is doing your homework. And I'm glad to see you here doing that. The level of homework separates forever homes from shelters. Also, keep in mind good dogs are made, not born(2). Enjoy your search and never stop learning!

(1) Any adult in the house
(2) They all have potential good boy in them, but it takes training to harness it
Retrievers are very smart indeed. Whenever there is evidence found at a crime scene it is immediately sent to the Lab.

It's never to begin leash and obedience training. Dogs learn really quickly what's theirs & what's not, so you won't have to worry about chewed up slippers or YOUR stuff after some basic training. If you get a retriever & plan on field use, Don"t ever play tug O' War with it.
For basic training and obedience, look around on-line (maybe ask your vet) and seek out a 'Comes-to-your-home' trainer. I spent a good portion of my early adult life training working dogs. A neighbor wanted me to train her dog, but it was just a household ankle-nipper, so I recommended a local group that visits weekly & shows you step-by-step how to do it. She ended up with an incredibly well-trained little dog that were not normally expected to have any obedience qualities.
Crates? They seem to be a city-boy, snowflake thing. Never did that in ages gone by - it's kinda like a toybox for your dog. When you tire of keeping an eye on your child, you hang it up in the closet.

Top Bottom