What's new

Adjusting Stropping Technique to Different Bevels

I've been pondering if slightly loosening the strop tension to adjust for blades that are honed with tape would help maintain the edge - Micro bevels, etc... If it's taped for honing, it seems you'd want to take that into consideration on the strop as well. Am I out of my mind?

I guess this all culminated in a post HERE, where Doc226 asked about stropping this wedge posted by Joel. I would assume it required some taping for the hone as well, but to exonerate myself, I've never honed a thing... Yet... :001_smile

you may be thinking too much about the micro bevels when stropping. i think that particular question in your link is based on that unique blade with it's special tang and shape and maybe balance.

I don't think you need to adjust strop tension on a razor honed with tape (unless you used a huge number of layers), the strop has enough give.

My comment on the razor Joel posted was based on the shape of the tang

I don't think you need to adjust strop tension on a razor honed with tape (unless you used a huge number of layers), the strop has enough give.

My comment on the razor Joel posted was based on the shape of the tang

Got it. Thanks to you both for the help!

I do actually reduce the tension on the strop based on the sound, and I have noticed with the bigger wedges, a bit more slack sounds like it's stropping properly, were with a hollow ground, tight as you want the strop to be it sounds right.

Top Bottom