What's new

Adjusting a bent or asymmetric safety bar on a slim or Fat Boy adjustable

Hey watch the name calling....:001_smile No there are lots of talented folks around here.

If everything else is correct with the handle and baseplate of the head, then you may wish to look at the center bar to determine if it is truly vertical and in the center. Both of those attributes are controlled by the rod on which the center bar is mounted.
Do you have any tips for adjusting that center bar. I think this is the case with mine. The same end on both sides closes all the way down against the safety bar before the other end. Both bars appear to be straight.

Thanks!!

This methodology helped me adjust the blade gap on my slim. But now when looking at the razor from the top you can see slight bulges on the safety bar where I tweaked it. Will this cause any problems with the shave? Seems like it should be just an aesthetic issue.

Thanks from me, too. Awhile back I bought a Slim sight-unseen and have noted no issues shaving with it but after coming across this thread I decided to check it and both bars were slightly bent. This little trick took care of them and all gaps are now even.

Awesome! This thread helped me fix a Slim and Super Speed. The sight has helped me fix several razors.

Welcome to the Forum!

7 years old and this thread is still helping fix razors. I just fixed the slim I got from my Dad after he passed. I wrapped the screwdriver with painter's masking tape to protect the finish - probably wasn't necessary. Thanks all.

I have another method that could would to adjust a bent safety bar. The original method shown works well for moving a bent bar upwards, but can be tricky for moving it downwards.

Take a zip tie and thread it through the hole and then pull downwards while holding on to the head / baseplate. It should work for pulling upwards as well. Use this at your own risk.

20170401_210933.jpg

20170401_211048.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have another method that could would to adjust a bent safety bar. The original method shown works well for moving a bent bar upwards, but can be tricky for moving it downwards.

Take a zip tie and thread it through the hole and then pull downwards while holding on to the head / baseplate. It should work for pulling upwards as well. Use this at your own risk.

View attachment 779912
View attachment 779913
Interesting idea!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I bought a slim this weekend and was excited to give it a try. I put a blade in it and noticed the the blade alignment looked off. I decided to not shave with it.

I think I am going to try to bend the safety bar back in to the proper position using the methods described in this thread. I think the lower end of the safety bar needs to be bent upwards. I am thinking I was to bend it up to be straight with the other side and approximately have the adjuster tops flush with the blade tray at setting 1. Just want to make sure of my understanding before going to the razor with a screwdriver :)

Resized_20170924_160851.jpeg Resized_20170924_160851.jpeg Resized_20170924_160904.jpeg Resized_20170924_160941.jpeg Resized_20170924_163422.jpeg Resized_20170924_163431.jpeg InkedResized_20170924_160851_LI edit.jpg

If you are ocd like i am and want to check for even gaping you can use a feeler gauge to get the right spacing. This is my slim that was uneven till i found this thread, i found i was getting a mild shave on one side and a more aggressive shave on the other then notice the differences in the safety bars. Thanks a ton for this guys

CF567130-312C-4E92-A9A4-1AEC8DA1494E.jpeg
4B20A956-7183-4BC7-832B-2A789ADE50BA.jpeg
DD99338E-C258-4987-8261-9F7EC5C2A2FE.jpeg

Top Bottom