What's new

Adjustables: A clash of shaving Titans….

The #'s on my Taiga are still very prominent. No fading as of yet and I've had it for about a year and a half now. I don't go crazy cleaning the razor with q-tips or cotton balls but, I give it a thorough wipe down and dry with a soft clean Terry cloth. No wear for me.....
Thanks for that info.

I also recall that homelike had said that they would be finishing the taiga to higher standards this time and because of that only the SB plate is supplied unlike the first batch where they also included an OC plate. Is the latest batch really better in terms of the polishing?

My pimped out Taiga in Ti just got here.
The presentation, fit and finish more than make up for the ridiculous
shipping time.
The polish on this baby is MIRROR :cool:
Notice the numbers have no ink-fill, well, that's one way to solve a fading ink problem.
Initial pics, will post some thoughts later.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

My pimped out Taiga in Ti just got here.
The presentation, fit and finish more than make up for the ridiculous
shipping time.
The polish on this baby is MIRROR :cool:
Notice the numbers have no ink-fill, well, that's one way to solve a fading ink problem.
Initial pics, will post some thoughts later.

View attachment 1296369

View attachment 1296370

very nice indeed! How does it compare with rhe polish job on the titanium H & S P076?

Also would u know if the new batch stainless steel taiga has the same level of mirror finish?

very nice indeed! How does it compare with rhe polish job on the titanium H & S P076?

Also would u know if the new batch stainless steel taiga has the same level of mirror finish?

The finishing on this piece is at Wolfman levels, if not better...flawless...but it has spent time
in a jeweller's workshop where they fitted the phianite, so I don't know if this has something to do with it.

No idea about SS.

I wonder if they have given this piece some extra love...the spring seems
very tightly fitted against the barrel of the top cap...it can't be removed,
and so I haven't tried forcing it.

actually, I dont think there s a spring inside, or it's been somehow attached
in a manner that does not permit removal. I did try the adjustment knob and it
has a solid tension to it....this will not move accidentally...ever. But WhereTF
is the spring? Can you spot it?

Edit: I am such a *******...I found it in the other barrel that grows down from the baseplate.
It is wedged in so tight I don't think I can remove it without prying it out. This explains
why the tension on the adjuster is good. Hope this does not loosen over time.

T3.jpg

Last edited:

Hey @GlazedBoker I just realised this is your dedicated thread for some shave off reviews
(which are awesome btw), so sorry I dropped my pics here.

I will post my review on the main Taiga thread...sorry for interrupting the flow guys.

BTW, you are of course free to limit your review to these particular razors, but to call them the creme de la creme of adjustables is unwarranted. A comparative review that doesn’t include the Slim, the Fatboy and the Progress is incomplete

This thread will be geared more towards comparing these two razors against those mentioned plus a few more down the line. As I stated in my opening post, I started with these two as they were the ones I was most anxious in pairing up for some time now. The rest are coming......

Great review, Gus! I thought I was happy with my Rex Ambassador and Mergress (having PIF’d my Slim and Parker Variant), but you brought me to my senses…

Hey Scott! Long time my friend. You need to definitely try these two amazing razors. I'll be in touch shortly once this comparison is done my friend.....

The finishing on this piece is at Wolfman levels, if not better...flawless...but it has spent time
in a jeweller's workshop where they fitted the phianite, so I don't know if this has something to do with it.

No idea about SS.

Thanks for the info. I recall homelike saying they planned to improve the finishing of the taiga by having a jeweller polish it and the extra cost meant no OC plate. I hope they fulfilled that for the ss.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Neither of these are razors I own or have even seen in person, but it's still a fascinating thread.

Thanks for the great reviews and information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A quick apology to all as I wanted to get the 3rd round in a day or two ago but, life is always throwing us curveballs and I could not get a proper shave in with these two KoTH adjustable razors in wet shave land. Today though, I got in a real good early morning shave and there was no doubt on this being the best shave to date with these razors. We’ll make it short & sweet and just get to the shave and some thoughts….

This morning I wanted to change out the Gillette Yellow in both razors and decided to go with the Big Kahuna, Feather in each one. I think the Feather was made for the Taiga and wanted to see if the Sailor ‘21 benefited from the change as well. Software today was the Ethos Chill Collection Greenfresh for both the soap & splash and went with the Lacoste Essential as it’s a light and clean scent considering that the day was going to be hot & a steamy one. As soon as I got out of the shower, the APShaveCo. brush with it’s 28mm Silksmoke knot was ready to create some bodacious lather sitting in some hot water with both razors ready to get this done on nearly 3 days growth.

First Pass, WTG: The Sailor started on the right side and I went with setting 6 to get it started. Blade feel is apparent and you know how a fresh Feather feels on it’s initial shave, a bit harsh but, with light pressure and a steady hand starting at the top of the burns the Sailor bulldozed right through the 3 day growth and on down to the jawline & half the chin with seamless ease. From there went to the neck and cleared out the right hand without a single issue never going over a spot twice, especially with the vaunted Feather blade. Grabbed the Taiga and moved the dial to 6 and proceeded with the same action but, on the left side. Wow, so super smooth and easy. The blade feel is there but, it is a bit less than the Sailor yet it cuts nearly identical to it as it wiped away the whiskers on my face with ease. Cleared it and went to the neck and half the chin just as I did on the right side and cleared that as well. Quick rinse and face feel and man oh man! These two knocked down some serious whiskers. Feel was practically identical on both sides. Yeah, this was gearing up to be a hell of a shave and not to forget that the Ethos lather was smoking good. Luscious, well hydrated and copious amounts of slickness and glide. So good….

Second Pass, ATG: Went back to the Sailor and dropped it down to about 4.5 on the dial and went to the skin from bottom of the neck working my way up. Amazingly good feel yet great feedback & feel from the razor and blade. A real nice audible tone telling one that the angle was spot on and the Sailor was in a groove. Long strokes with good skin stretching to get whiskers in the path of this whisker demolishing juggernaut. Done quickly and efficiently. Still felt the blade but not as prominent as it was on 6. The smoothness is great on 4.5 on the Sailor. The Taiga was up and I copied the same steps as with the Sailor and also dropped it down to 4.5. Oh man, this thing is so nice and ridiculously smooth. Yes, smoother than the Sailor on this particular pass but, still just as efficient in eliminating the whiskers on both neck and cheek. Blade feel is slightly toned down but, it cuts with a deceptive authority almost Gibbs like but, I think better. Done and a full face rinse and feel and I was oh so close to BBS all around. A couple of stragglers on the bottom of the jawline on the Sailor side and a very light patch under the chin on the Taiga’s end. Plus the normal holdouts around Sir Adam. Got ready for a 3rd clean up pass.

Third Pass/Clean Up, XTG Hybrid: Took the Sailor and again turned it down to 3.5. With the Feather that is still plenty efficient feeling to let one know that it’s chopping whiskers and the smoothness really showed in the Sailor in this setting though just a measly few whiskers left but, cleared the jawline of the stragglers and cleaned up the right side of Sir Adam with some skin stretching and contortions. Got’em. Went to the Taiga and brought that down to 3.5 as well and performed the exact same thing on the left side. I won’t lie, it was easier with the Taiga on this particular clean up pass than it was with the Sailor just for the simple fact that it is nimbler feeling razor to hold and wield around one’s face especially on clean ups. Not that the Sailor was clumsy feeling or inadequate, just that for me the Taiga just moved easier with a better feel in transition and performing small hooks and reversals. That’s just me though.

Post shave feel/thoughts: Full face rinse and feel and Holy Moly! What a shave. No red dots, weepers, cuts or nics. Nothing. Nada. Zilch! What irritation?? Did a quick alum pass and not a single heater. Cleaned my gear, dried and put them away. Grabbed the skin food splash with a healthy helping of liquid and splashed it on. Just an awesome finish with the Ethos splash.

This shave was done at 4:30 in the morning and it is now nearly 8pm EST here in Joisey. Still, not a single whisker detected from either side. That’s how good a shave was had with these superb performers. I’m approaching Asylum Rx SE territory here in the next couple of hours in terms of face free stubble duration here. My skin still feels rubbery soft and supple and just great to the touch. I’ll see in the next bit and write in an edit to this particular post whenever a bit of any semblance of stubble shows up.

My post summation to follow as well…..

7CB02AEB-72E6-41AB-9785-3AEFC2903723.jpeg

A quick apology to all as I wanted to get the 3rd round in a day or two ago but, life is always throwing us curveballs and I could not get a proper shave in with these two KoTH adjustable razors in wet shave land. Today though, I got in a real good early morning shave and there was no doubt on this being the best shave to date with these razors. We’ll make it short & sweet and just get to the shave and some thoughts….

This morning I wanted to change out the Gillette Yellow in both razors and decided to go with the Big Kahuna, Feather in each one. I think the Feather was made for the Taiga and wanted to see if the Sailor ‘21 benefited from the change as well. Software today was the Ethos Chill Collection Greenfresh for both the soap & splash and went with the Lacoste Essential as it’s a light and clean scent considering that the day was going to be hot & a steamy one. As soon as I got out of the shower, the APShaveCo. brush with it’s 28mm Silksmoke knot was ready to create some bodacious lather sitting in some hot water with both razors ready to get this done on nearly 3 days growth.

First Pass, WTG: The Sailor started on the right side and I went with setting 6 to get it started. Blade feel is apparent and you know how a fresh Feather feels on it’s initial shave, a bit harsh but, with light pressure and a steady hand starting at the top of the burns the Sailor bulldozed right through the 3 day growth and on down to the jawline & half the chin with seamless ease. From there went to the neck and cleared out the right hand without a single issue never going over a spot twice, especially with the vaunted Feather blade. Grabbed the Taiga and moved the dial to 6 and proceeded with the same action but, on the left side. Wow, so super smooth and easy. The blade feel is there but, it is a bit less than the Sailor yet it cuts nearly identical to it as it wiped away the whiskers on my face with ease. Cleared it and went to the neck and half the chin just as I did on the right side and cleared that as well. Quick rinse and face feel and man oh man! These two knocked down some serious whiskers. Feel was practically identical on both sides. Yeah, this was gearing up to be a hell of a shave and not to forget that the Ethos lather was smoking good. Luscious, well hydrated and copious amounts of slickness and glide. So good….

Second Pass, ATG: Went back to the Sailor and dropped it down to about 4.5 on the dial and went to the skin from bottom of the neck working my way up. Amazingly good feel yet great feedback & feel from the razor and blade. A real nice audible tone telling one that the angle was spot on and the Sailor was in a groove. Long strokes with good skin stretching to get whiskers in the path of this whisker demolishing juggernaut. Done quickly and efficiently. Still felt the blade but not as prominent as it was on 6. The smoothness is great on 4.5 on the Sailor. The Taiga was up and I copied the same steps as with the Sailor and also dropped it down to 4.5. Oh man, this thing is so nice and ridiculously smooth. Yes, smoother than the Sailor on this particular pass but, still just as efficient in eliminating the whiskers on both neck and cheek. Blade feel is slightly toned down but, it cuts with a deceptive authority almost Gibbs like but, I think better. Done and a full face rinse and feel and I was oh so close to BBS all around. A couple of stragglers on the bottom of the jawline on the Sailor side and a very light patch under the chin on the Taiga’s end. Plus the normal holdouts around Sir Adam. Got ready for a 3rd clean up pass.

Third Pass/Clean Up, XTG Hybrid: Took the Sailor and again turned it down to 3.5. With the Feather that is still plenty efficient feeling to let one know that it’s chopping whiskers and the smoothness really showed in the Sailor in this setting though just a measly few whiskers left but, cleared the jawline of the stragglers and cleaned up the right side of Sir Adam with some skin stretching and contortions. Got’em. Went to the Taiga and brought that down to 3.5 as well and performed the exact same thing on the left side. I won’t lie, it was easier with the Taiga on this particular clean up pass than it was with the Sailor just for the simple fact that it is nimbler feeling razor to hold and wield around one’s face especially on clean ups. Not that the Sailor was clumsy feeling or inadequate, just that for me the Taiga just moved easier with a better feel in transition and performing small hooks and reversals. That’s just me though.

Post shave feel/thoughts: Full face rinse and feel and Holy Moly! What a shave. No red dots, weepers, cuts or nics. Nothing. Nada. Zilch! What irritation?? Did a quick alum pass and not a single heater. Cleaned my gear, dried and put them away. Grabbed the skin food splash with a healthy helping of liquid and splashed it on. Just an awesome finish with the Ethos splash.

This shave was done at 4:30 in the morning and it is now nearly 8pm EST here in Joisey. Still, not a single whisker detected from either side. That’s how good a shave was had with these superb performers. I’m approaching Asylum Rx SE territory here in the next couple of hours in terms of face free stubble duration here. My skin still feels rubbery soft and supple and just great to the touch. I’ll see in the next bit and write in an edit to this particular post whenever a bit of any semblance of stubble shows up.

My post summation to follow as well…..

View attachment 1297858

Well, I finally felt the the long overdue whisker(s) and it was a feint couple of strands along the back jawline heading towards my earlobe. And it was on the Taiga side just too be real. The Sailor ‘21 side is still clean and smooth as a newborns. So, the shave was completed at about 5am this morning and the first remnants of stubble at approximately 9pm. That’s nearly 16 hours on one side and the other side is still going strong.

How to make the call? Well, the Sailor has given me the longer lasting shave while the Taiga was the more comfortable shaver. Not by leaps and bounds but, enough to be noticed. Yet, you get an easy shave with the Sailor with a good combination of efficiency & smoothness. A trade off that a few would not mind having, myself included though not most of the time. I still do prefer a smoother shave with a razor that can still deliver efficiency. And the Taiga does just that. The Taiga is awesome from 3 and up for me and at 1 & 2 well, it kind of lacks a bit of oomph but, for the milder shaver crowd it could be the right range. While the Sailor is great at 5 and above, it is amazing at 4 and below matching the smoothness of the Taiga in its whole range of adjustment. I think the far majority of users will probably keep the Sailor at 1-5 and most won’t go past that size range as there is no real gain, for me at least. I mean really, what does one gain at shaving at 1 to 2 full turns with the Sailor? Braggings rights that you shaved with a 5.0 gap size? Same with the Taiga although it is smoother in the upper ranges but, again what’s the endgame for reaching for gaps in the stratosphere? Smooth, comfortable & efficient with consistent results. That to me is the endgame for my wet shave experience. And both of these razors do it in abundance with quality, craftsmanship and utterly brilliant execution.

The Sailor ‘21 by a nose at the tape. It just does everything from good to awesome as a premium shave tool.

I’m clearing out my den soon. With the Sailor & Taiga in the arsenal there really is no need for much of anything else except perhaps for sentimental value razors or from a sheer collector’s point of view, monetary gain down the road. They’ll be some good ones in the b/s/t soon enough gents….

Grabbed the Taiga and moved the dial to 6 and proceeded with the same action but, on the left side. Wow, so super smooth and easy. The blade feel is there but, it is a bit less than the Sailor yet it cuts nearly identical to it as it wiped away the whiskers on my face with ease.

Well, the Sailor has given me the longer lasting shave while the Taiga was the more comfortable shaver.

The comfort aspect of the Taiga hits you first, the amazing efficiency feels like more of a stealth feature.
When you open it up to 6, the head geometry reminds me a bit of the WR2 head....so comfort is
not surprising at all.

I have absolutely no interest in opening it up to 10-12 mark. Zero.
1-5 covers all the bases for me. (altho I might try higher just for a stroke or two)

Had a really lovely shave with the Taiga Ti today.
2 full passes on 6...followed by 2 XTG asses across the neck
on 3.5

Just the ability to dial down the gap to do my neck makes this razor worth it for me.

As I play with it I also want to say that it's by no means perfect...getting those three dots
to line up perfectly does take some attention.

And I just noticed they do not emboss the words 'Ti' anywhere on the razor....I like that.

my last shave on 6 setting was a night shave...around 8 pm...Here I am 17 hours later,
and there isn't enough growth to justify a shave. My cheeks feel like Ive just completed a
shave with a wolfman 1.15 about 3 hours ago.

And I have a very fast growing, stubborn, hard and rough beard growth.

Looks like I am going to have to set it lower for daily shaves....my gut says 3 would
be great for daily use. Cant wait to try.

I just put these up against each other just for kicks & giggles for this evenings shave. The Taiga with the open comb base plate squared up vs the Sailor ‘21. Each with a Feather blade installed and some face chillin’ Stirling Margaritas in The Arctic in both soap & splash. Oooooh a dandy, yes sir! The last shave was a few days back so I went and turned them up to 6+1 on their respective dials.

I had an amazing 3 pass shave with the tiniest amount of touch ups on the chin to seal the deal for a full BBS finish from top to bottom. The Taiga with the open comb is a razor that just leaves me speechless with its amazing smoothness and the uptick in blade feel. The Sailor just gets better every time I use and get more familiar with it. It feels more comfortable the more I put it in use and it’s simply glorious to look at and shave with. Without question, the two best adjustables that I’ve ever shaved with.

The winner? Me. Oh Yeah…..

BBE13E7A-990C-4BD5-BC61-FC5C7A5FDF04.jpeg

Top Bottom