What's new

adjustable vs changing base plates

I totally get this. I use a Slim on Level 8 or 9, and a Red Tip seems pretty mild to me. If you like really aggressive razors, Gillette can be hard to love.

The one factor people haven't mentioned is setting-creep. I haven't experienced it myself, but I've heard stories from people who get frustrated with an adjustable whose setting dial moves too easily. Obviously not an issue with a switchable base plate.

I do dislike having expensive base plates I know I'll never use. ATT, Rockwell: I'm looking at you.

My biggest shaving regret, Charles, is not being able to dial in either of my birth year razors, both 1956 Red Tips, to get a close shave. (Well, maybe my biggest shaving regret is not using aftershave until I was 57 years old, but I digress...) One of them was acquired cased, and seems to be NOS. When I bought it, my plan was to use it once a year, on my birthday. Maybe I'll try again next year...

I hear you, Scott. I can get good shaves but not great shaves with a Red Tip. I'm fortunate to have the FatBoy available to me as a birth quarter razor. I had it restored and replated by Chris Evatt, and it's darn good at level 9. But the other settings on the dial might as well not even be there.

R

romsitsa

Try the classic way, get a Gillette 460 set and a 3 or 4 piece set of shims.
With 3 shims you can get 11 settings.
Store the shims in one of the blade banks.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom