What's new

adjustable vs changing base plates

I'm curious, an adjustable razor vs one that has base plates that can be changed out. Is the performance the same or would some say changing the base plates results in a more stable razor than one that can be adjusted?

I have an adjustable, and almost never change the settings once I found what works best for me (number five on a Fatboy). I haven't tried one that uses base plates, but I don't think it would be any different. I would be changing plates until I found what works, then I would leave it alone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have several of both types. I find that changing base plates provides for a slightly more functional and usable razor for me. However, you cant really adjust them on the fly too easily. However, I rarely change the adjustment dial on an adjustable. And I have switched out base plates between passes when things dong go my way. So its a bit of a toss up regarding which is better. I love my Rockewell, Blackland, etc. And I love my Mergress and Slims. So i think the proper B&B answer is to have several of each.

Heh, like a deep bullpen. I was just thinking of adjusting for different blades. But I guess most people are finding the one blade that works best for each razor.

There is something about having extra, largly unused, baseplates kicking around that I find somewhat unappealing. I already have too much clutter and not enough storage space as it is though, so that's just me.

There is something about having extra, largly unused, baseplates kicking around that I find somewhat unappealing. I already have too much clutter and not enough storage space as it is though, so that's just me.

Same here. For my simple needs, a regular adjustable like my Slim shaves as well as I can make it.

Agreed. My small annoyance is paying for something I'm not going to use.

The performance is the same.

The stability is the same.

An adjustable dial is much more user friendly, and it gives more choices, than a baseplate system

Once I find my ideal setting for an adjustable, then there are no more adjustments for me. These days I am using 3-piece razors.

I have both and can't say I prefer one over the other. Once I find a setting/plate I like it remains unchanged. I tend towards more aggressive razors so a lot of the time the adjustable/swappable razors are my daily choice.

Same here. I have the Rockwell 6c and I'm pretty much set on using the 5 setting. Now, with my dial adjustables, I frequently increase the setting after the first pass, something that can't be done easily with switching base plates.

Thanks for the feedback guys, good to know it sounds like you're not getting a lessor razor if you have an adjustable.

I have both (Fatboy & Slim vs a Rockwell). I like the weight of the Rockwell - it's a heavy, well built razor. As far as the shave, once you find the blade and setting you like I don't see a difference. I seem to use my 3 piece razors more than TTOs though.

The performance is the same.

The stability is the same.

An adjustable dial is much more user friendly, and it gives more choices, than a baseplate system
Wow, this is certainly a YMMV situation. My Rockwell kicks Slim and Fatboy ***, and as far as the Futur and Progress, despite my fondness for them, the Rock gets my head to BBS in half the time with much more comfort. Not as noticeable on the beard but most anything works there pretty well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I only have three adjustables, out of my 60 or so razors--a Slim, a Supply Provisions injector and a Rockwell 6S. I've only used my Slim set at 9, and can't get a close shave and thus don't use it, but keep it because I had it coated by Delta Echo and it's beautiful. I've only used the Rockwell and Supply with the most aggressive base plates--the 6 for Rockwell and three-dot for Supply--and get a decent but not a great shave with each.

I prefer to spend my money on a razor that works with one setting, so I don't pay for settings I know I'll never use. I knew with each of my three adjustables, before I used them, that I would use only the most aggressive setting. As stated before me, many or most of us choose a setting that works and never change it. I don't think I'll buy another adjustable.

I only have three adjustables, out of my 60 or so razors--a Slim, a Supply Provisions injector and a Rockwell 6S. I've only used my Slim set at 9, and can't get a close shave and thus don't use it, but keep it because I had it coated by Delta Echo and it's beautiful. I've only used the Rockwell and Supply with the most aggressive base plates--the 6 for Rockwell and three-dot for Supply--and get a decent but not a great shave with each.

I prefer to spend my money on a razor that works with one setting, so I don't pay for settings I know I'll never use. I knew with each of my three adjustables, before I used them, that I would use only the most aggressive setting. As stated before me, many or most of us choose a setting that works and never change it. I don't think I'll buy another adjustable.
You can only use the Slim on 9 and it's too mild. Wow! That's truly amazing. I presume you've experimented with different blades?

You can only use the Slim on 9 and it's too mild. Wow! That's truly amazing. I presume you've experimented with different blades?

Yeah, and I haven't been able to figure it out. I love my vintage Gillettes, they're beautiful and I'm proud to own them, but I just can't make them work. I'll plan to revisit them in the not-too-distant future, but I'm really sold on the "aggressive" moderns for my old hide.

If you're going to swap baseplates mid-shave, why not just use 2 or more razors during the shave?

What I do with Rockwell is having two additional spare handles and top caps in conjunction with The two Rockwell spare baseplates so in essence I have three razors ready to use.

Yeah, and I haven't been able to figure it out. I love my vintage Gillettes, they're beautiful and I'm proud to own them, but I just can't make them work. I'll plan to revisit them in the not-too-distant future, but I'm really sold on the "aggressive" moderns for my old hide.

I totally get this. I use a Slim on Level 8 or 9, and a Red Tip seems pretty mild to me. If you like really aggressive razors, Gillette can be hard to love.

The one factor people haven't mentioned is setting-creep. I haven't experienced it myself, but I've heard stories from people who get frustrated with an adjustable whose setting dial moves too easily. Obviously not an issue with a switchable base plate.

I do dislike having expensive base plates I know I'll never use. ATT, Rockwell: I'm looking at you.

Top Bottom