What's new

Adjustable Razors

I have seen in my travels across the internet that there are several really good choices to be made when buying an adjustable safety razor.

What I really haven't seen is anything that really says that one is really any better than the others. Gillette Fatboys all seem to be fairly popular as well as Gillette Slims. I had considered a Merkur Futur to test (if I can find a good cheap used one).

Any suggestions would be great. But first a little about myself and my current equipment and shave techniques. I like to shave daily except for possibly Friday and Saturday where I take a break from it. I typically use a blue tip or 23c and a Gillette SB. On Sunday I have more me time and like to use my red or flare tip. Daily shaves are quick and "close enough for government work". Where as my weekend shave a bbs is the goal.

I've also only been shaving with a safety razor for around a year or so, so I'm always refining my technique.

You know, I saw those Qshave razors and thought that they might be a clone. I am typically skeptical of clones though and was unsure about them. Thanks for the info!

If you are looking at new, low cost, reliable, and available, then I would recommend either the Parker Variant or Merkur Progress. The Progress gives slightly better shaves, but the Variant has features that the Progress really bugs me about such as a well knurled handle, metal adjustment knob, and lather slots on the bottom of the base plate. Still, the Progress is a classic hand has a long heritage for a very good reason.

There are a bunch of new adjustables that are TTO and originating from China. The reviews I have read so far makes me not want to try them out. Right now, I have a REX Ambassador that I got at a very reasonable price and that has become my favorite adjustable razor. Made totally from stainless steel, good adjustment and great shaves. Still, it is quite expensive and so maybe not your first adjustable.

For TTO adjustables, I would still recommend looking for a good Gillette Slim or Fat Boy, and many comes up on BST quite often.

Better is a completely subjective judgement. Progress/Variant, Futur , and the Gillette adjustables all shave differently. I prefer my vintage Progress but everyone is different.

A Gillette Slim Adjustabe should be available on one of the auction sites; plenty of them still available and they are made from brass. I don't think it will improve your technique but at least it will tick the adjustable box. Good preparation and lather will help your shaves so don't ignore those aspects.
Welcome to B&B.

The only modern adjustable razors I have are the Rockwell S and two Progress razors I have had converted to Mergress razors. In vintage, I have a Slim and FB. Of all the modern razors I prefer the Progress. I find it to be the smoothest shaver. In vintage, I prefer the FB slightly over the Slim.

I previously had a Toggle, a Futur, and a Vision. I sold all three. To me, the Toggle is overpriced (I am not a collector). Both the Futur and Vision did not give me smooth shaves and both were bulky so shaving under my nose was a problem.

I have several Gillette adjustables, Fatboy, Slim, Aristocrat, Super Adjustable...I really like my Merkur Progress. Also have the trio so I know about grabbing a Blue Tip (for me with a Kai blade) and having at it. The Progress is a good value and I seldom go past 2 or 2 1/2 and I get BBS. Just my 2 cents...no I am never getting rid of the Gillettes! LOL

I prefer adjustable razors, and have a few of them: Mingshi (Future clone, sold as Qshave on many places), Gillette Slim and Super Adjustable (they shave pretty much the same) and Parker Variant.
My preferred razor is the Variant, but the others give an excellent shave too.
The Mingshi/Qshave offers the best bang for the buck, you can find it well below 10USD on the internet.
It's a good razor, excellent when you factor in its cost, I just don't like very much its tall head, it makes difficult shaving under one's nose.. Quite efficient, gets aggressive at higher settings.
The super adjustable (black beauty) and slim shave very well, their head is small and agile, not very aggressive at most settings.
The Variant head is middle of the road under any aspect: head moderately tall, very efficient, gets pretty aggressive (for me) from middle settings.
Love its audible feedback when shaving, for what it's worth :)
Ah, it's pretty much solid, and heavy!
Hope this helps..

Last edited:
I've had small blade alignment issues with my 2016 new molds Merkur Progress.

Issues that my Merkur 34c never has.

It has something to do with how the blade is curved in towards the head / head posts. On the Progress, higher settings make the blade curve less toward the head / head posts.

This is always a constant on the 34c.

Simple is often better.

It has something to do with how the blade is curved in towards the head / head posts. On the Progress, higher settings make the blade curve less toward the head / head posts.

See now I have read that there are issues with that happening. Mine is fairly new and I load it upside down with my index finger cradling it and have no issues whatsoever. Great razor for me so far.

I'm a big fan of the Fatboy myself. The Slim is almost as good and practically the same razor for a cheaper price if money is a concern.

I have a Fatboy, Slim, Progress, Super Adjustable, Qshave and Rockwell 6S.

They're all very nice razors, but for me, without a doubt, the best shaver is the 6S.

It's just so easy to get a BBS shave day after day, without irritation or nicks, using plates 3,4 or 5. In fact it's such an easy razor to use that I frequently get bored with it and feel the need to use something that demands a bit more attention.

I have a Fatboy, Slim, Progress, Super Adjustable, Qshave and Rockwell 6S.

They're all very nice razors, but for me, without a doubt, the best shaver is the 6S.

It's just so easy to get a BBS shave day after day, without irritation or nicks, using plates 3,4 or 5. In fact it's such an easy razor to use that I frequently get bored with it and feel the need to use something that demands a bit more attention.
YMMV. The 6C is a good shaver and I know it isn’t a 6S but I have had damn fine shaves with it but my Progress was BBS the first time out.

Conversely the 6S is not a 6C. I personally prefer the polished feel and weight of the 6C. I would not trade "up".
YMMV. The 6C is a good shaver and I know it isn’t a 6S but I have had damn fine shaves with it but my Progress was BBS the first time out.

Top Bottom