What's new

Adjustable Razors Compared & Reviewed

As the title suggests, this thread will be my attempt to compare different adjustables amongst themselves. More than a few times in my interactions on the forums, I have been asked to compare the Rex Ambassador to say the Karve razor & give feedback as to how they compare & on which setting/plates etc...... and I want to thank @MaineYooper for apoaching me with the great idea in doing this. He also will be providing feedback & info as well.

My intention is to provide reviews, experiences, thoughts, & comparisons with all the other adjustables in my den. For those who particularly love adjustables like I do (both ones with a dial adjuster and ones with changeable base-plate options) this can become a great source of info that is gathered in one thread as opposed to being scattered & harder to find.

The layout of content will be first a review of the razor itself, then comparisons to the other adjustables in primarily three areas (which are highly subjective but helpful nonetheless):
1. Approximate settings equivalency between adjustable razors that provide similar shave experiences
2. comparison of smoothness & comfort of use at different settings
3. comparison of efficiency & where there starts to be a decrease in smoothness (for me) at the higher settings

Again, all of this is subjective and as we all know, is highly personal to each face and beard and technique but I think for the most part it could be helpful in general to have such info on comparisons of adjustable razors all in a single ongoing thread.

I will not be listing all the dimensional & weight specs for each razor as that is not my main focus. Rather the comparisons will be more about how each one feels while using it.

This thread will start with 8 different DE's to be compared & possibly more in time as more are acquired. These are all my personal razors & there are many I haven't tried yet (Gibbs, RR Game Changer in both .68 & .84 baseplates, PAA SS Ascension, Rockwell Model T, & others), but these are the adjustables (both dial adjuster & changeable baseplates) I have currently in the den:

-Rex Ambassador
-Karve (B,C,D)
-Rockwell 6s & 6c
-Parker Variant
-F4 (1985) Black Beauty
- J4 (1964) Slim
-E2 & F4 (1959 & 1960) Fatboy

One last thing, feel free to interact & provide your experiences with the adjustable razors & how they compare to others.

First adjustable razor to be considered is the Rex Ambassador. Stay tuned for a review & comparison with the Karve razor.

proxy.php

I'm staying tuned in, @ShavePastor, and am interested in your comparisons!! I've only had experience (good experiences) with a couple of those (Black Beauty - own, Rockwell 6S - passaround) and hoping to scoop up a Parker Variant in 2019!!

Brother Pastor,

Please briefly tell us about the coarseness of your whiskers and the sensitivity or thinness of your skin. That knowledge will orient us to the results of your reviews.

Looking forward to 'em!

SR

I need to subscribe to this. I’ve been bouncing back and forth on the top 4 you have listed of those already in your den.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your comparisons

Thanks!

Gooooo Fatboy! :001_cool:

There is something timeless about the Fatboy, and a reason why it's so popular. We shall find out! I actually don't have much experience with the Fatboy so I'm looking forward to it also.

I'm staying tuned in, @ShavePastor, and am interested in your comparisons!! I've only had experience (good experiences) with a couple of those (Black Beauty - own, Rockwell 6S - passaround) and hoping to scoop up a Parker Variant in 2019!!

Nice! I think you would like the Variant.

Brother Pastor,

Please briefly tell us about the coarseness of your whiskers and the sensitivity or thinness of your skin. That knowledge will orient us to the results of your reviews.

Looking forward to 'em!

SR

Good question. I'd say they are fairly coarse but old man coarse (I'm 33). Definitely not light & soft but sandpaper stubble when it first grows back, then after a few days it's more like the grip tape on skateboards. Whilst hugging my children, they say "ouch daddy, you need to shave." AS far as skin, I used to think it was real sensitive, but it may have been certain ingredients that burned & also combined with improper technique while on the DE learning curve when I first started 2 yrs ago. But now my skin hardly reacts to any soap. My neck is not much sensitive, but oddly enough, if there is a slight sensitive area on my face it is my jaw line & cheeks. But even still, I'm talking very minor. Technique has definitely improved & nicks are never, weepers are very rare. Usually if there's any mishap, it is from an occasional pimple of skin blemish. Lastly, I usually shave 3 to 4 times a week, but not daily. And the shaves are usually before I shower, although I still make sure to prep before the shave. So there you go, hope that helps in understanding my perspective on the reviews.

I need to subscribe to this. I’ve been bouncing back and forth on the top 4 you have listed of those already in your den.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stay tuned! They are all fantastic really in their own way.

Subscribed. I have only the 3 Gillette adjustables, FatBoy F1, Black Beauty P3, and Slim M1. Don't own any of the other adjustables on your list, but like to see how they compare.

I have

Rex
6C and 6S
weishi
Futur
Progress
Variant

I am looking forward to your opinions on the Rockwell vs the Variant, especially for neck shaving.

I am also very interested in how the Karve performs.

Which version number do you have of the Rex?

I have

Rex
6C and 6S
weishi
Futur
Progress
Variant

I am looking forward to your opinions on the Rockwell vs the Variant, especially for neck shaving.

I am also very interested in how the Karve performs.

Which version number do you have of the Rex?
My Rex is from the latest batch, N3. It is flawless in every way I can tell.

On the neck shaving, I'll include those aspects in the reviews. Thanks

When I think of adjustables I think “on the fly” with some sort of rotation (or Slim, Futur) rather than stopping and swapping out a baseplate. But if we are considering the same razor with different available baseplates would the membership also claim “adjustables” to include the lines offered by Timeless, Above the Tie, Charcoal Goods and Wolfman ? Either way looking forward to these reviews.

subscribing too. I've got many adjustables and the Model T on the way sometime in the next 20 years. I'm partial to the vintage ones, but enjoying some of the new crop too.

Gibbs, Segal, Apollo, Famex, Ikon SBS, PAA Ascension....(among the adjustables I have, there are of other rare German and French models).

Last edited:
When I think of adjustables I think “on the fly” with some sort of rotation (or Slim, Futur) rather than stopping and swapping out a baseplate. But if we are considering the same razor with different available baseplates would the membership also claim “adjustables” to include the lines offered by Timeless, Above the Tie, Charcoal Goods and Wolfman ? Either way looking forward to these reviews.

If the razor can be adjusted at all either by dial or by changeable baseplates then to me it qualifies as an adjustable razor (only the method reached is different). Just my thoughts. Others may differ, it's all good. But in answer to your question, I'd say yes, if those other brands have multiple baseplates that adjust the geometry then they are adjustable IMO. I didn't include those simply because I don't have them in my den. I'd be more than happy to review & compare them if anyone is willing to send them to me to try.:thumbup:

Hello! My thanks to @ShavePastor for starting this thread. When the Karve razor came to my attention, it had been available for about 6 months, so I started reading all the threads. I had been using vintage Gillettes, with the Slim being the most used and giving the best results. What helped me the most were those posts comparing certain guards/plates to specific razors and settings, NOT gaps.

All this to say I agree with Shave Pastor's method for comparison!

Regarding the naming of the razors, I call them adjustable but adaptable may be a bit more precise for the base plate interchangeability.

My first adjustable razor was the J-4 Slim seen in my avatar. Then I tried the Rockwell 6C. It was smooth but I found the Slim more efficient. My mistake was probably moving the Rockwell to a new home before I could say I understood it. My technique was still improving and I was bouncing around with all the things to try.

But the Karve underwent more consistent trials, keeping everything constant as I used it and my Slim.

I had done the same thing when KeenDog sold me a wonderful Fatboy.

I look forward to the comparisons and learning both from Shave Pastor's info as well as others sharing their experiences.

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

Subscribed. I have only the 3 Gillette adjustables, FatBoy F1, Black Beauty P3, and Slim M1. Don't own any of the other adjustables on your list, but like to see how they compare.

Subscribed! Looking forward to a great comparison!! :a14::a14::a14:

subscribing too. I've got many adjustables and the Model T on the way sometime in the next 20 years. I'm partial to the vintage ones, but enjoying some of the new crop too.

Thanks gents!

Looking forward to reading about it. I'm a big fan of the Parker Variant, and am wondering how it will stack up against the competition.

Subscribed.

I am a sucker for an adjustable. Primarily vintage Gillette's but I do consider my Wolfman WR1's a modern adjustable, even though it is only 4 settings, it covers both SB/OC in an assortment of complete razors. The beauty of it is, it also has an assortment of different handles :)

If the razor can be adjusted at all either by dial or by changeable baseplates then to me it qualifies as an adjustable razor (only the method reached is different). Just my thoughts. Others may differ, it's all good. But in answer to your question, I'd say yes, if those other brands have multiple baseplates that adjust the geometry then they are adjustable IMO. I didn't include those simply because I don't have them in my den. I'd be more than happy to review & compare them if anyone is willing to send them to me to try.:thumbup:

Top Bottom