What's new

Adjustable is 'stuck'

Good day all,

My apologies if this has already been answered, but a quick search of the forums did not reveal a relavent topic.

I purchased a Gillette Fat Boy at an antique shop yesterday. The price was right ($5.00 USD) for the condition it was in. I found it junked up but without any glaring corrosion. The one trouble was that the adjustment ring is frozen.

I have soaked it overnight in a mild Oxi-Clean solution (along with the SuperSpeed I picked up). Tons of crud have already popped off, the last of it came off with a quick brushing. Here is where I'm at now: the ring is still stuck.:frown:

I currently have it in my shop soaking with a non-flammable Teflon penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench). I am wondering if anyone on the board has a suggestion for what to try next. I am hoping to avoid forcing it, but am willing to put a little bit of a non-liquid wrench to use.:bored:

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Is it stuck all the way in one direction or in the middle? If it is all the way in one direction I would try to move it slightly further in the directio it is stuck then quickly back the other way, kind of like you do when your steering wheel is locked in your car. You will probably have to use a couple pairs of pliers or a vise and a pair of pliers. Just wrap a rag around it to avoid scratching the finish.

If it is stuck in the middle you will probably have to force it. I would also try boiling it and loosening it while it is still warm. The boiling may not help free the stuck adjustment ring but it will definitely help get some of the crud off.

If it is just crud that's stopping it maybe it'll be worthwhile soaking it for a while longer and periodically move, or attempt to move, the ring then resoak. I wouldn't like to use tools on it unless its a last resort. If you do, wrap leather rouund the points you're going to grip with the tools.

Jonnybc said:
If it is just crud that's stopping it maybe it'll be worthwhile soaking it for a while longer and periodically move, or attempt to move, the ring then resoak. I wouldn't like to use tools on it unless its a last resort. If you do, wrap leather rouund the points you're going to grip with the tools.

Good idea, leather would be much more effective protection than a rag.

Try push in the little clicker tap above the adjusting ring while rocking the ring back and forth. The hollow handle can get filled with solidified shaving cream that's as hard as concrete. Maybe soaking in a vinegar solution. One of my fatboy wouldn't turn lower then 4 when I got it, but I worked on it and it eventually worked loose.

All of the above are great suggestions as a rule I would go with the most gentle before moving on to the more more aggressive, Take your time- I have soaked adjustables for a week in a can of kerosene before they would brake free. Good luck.
Jim

If it was loaded with "Shaving Crud" originally I suggest that you put it into a pot of slowly boiling water with a healthy squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. Let it go for a half hour or so and see if that does not get the goop out of it.. Good luck.:tongue_sm

Thanks all for the great advice.

I soaked it all day in the penetrating oil, then wrapped it in leather and used a small set of pliers to pop it loose. Works great now!

Along the way, I discovered I could use my MAAS polish with a tooth brush to get down in to the checking on the handle to make it look like new. I've always been a fan of the MAAS product. I have to clean some nickel on my bagpipes pretty often and it's one of the few products that I trust.

Can't wait to put the latest aquisition into my lineup!

Chris

Top Bottom