What's new

Adjustable full stainless steel de safety razors

Hi all,

After my latest bit of bad luck with a Zamak 3-piece, I am looking for a new razor. My criteria:

- full stainless
- adjustable
- good grip (no glossy surfaces like the EJ handles)
- weight at least 80 g or 3 oz (optional)

I only know the Rockwell 6S and Rockwell Model T. Any other manufacturers/models?

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Ss adjustables, like Rex Ambassador (good grip) or Rocnel Sailor (didn’t try it) are over 80g.
But technically all razors can be adjusted with a light twist of the screw.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
By adjustable do you mean with a dial or are multiple plates within your scope? I have a Rex Ambassador. The build quality is beyond compare. I also have the 6S, an ATT with multiple plates, and a Karve SS with multiple plates. These are all top notch razors. I have to say the Rex is my favorite. Every time I pick that razor up I admire the fit and finish along with the best grip I have ever experienced. Now add to that with all these qualities you have the complexity of a mechanically adjustable razor. I have to award it first place.

I don’t know what any of these razors weigh. I guess I never paid that much attention to the actual weight of a razor.

Love my rex ambassador. All stainless steel, adjustable from very mild to very efficient, lifetime warranty, best grip on the market.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Timeless, Karve, Razorock Gamechanger, ATT - all SS, available with multiple baseplates and knurled grip. None of them cheap. Less expensive but popular Gillette Slim. Suggest you check reviews, specs, pricing. Enjoy the hunt......good luck

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
By adjustable do you mean with a dial or are multiple plates within your scope? I have a Rex Ambassador. The build quality is beyond compare. I also have the 6S, an ATT with multiple plates, and a Karve SS with multiple plates. These are all top notch razors. I have to say the Rex is my favorite. Every time I pick that razor up I admire the fit and finish along with the best grip I have ever experienced. Now add to that with all these qualities you have the complexity of a mechanically adjustable razor. I have to award it first place.

I don’t know what any of these razors weigh. I guess I never paid that much attention to the actual weight of a razor.
Yes! I’d add the Razorock Gamechanger to this list as well. My only advice at this stage: don’t skimp. Any of these razors will last a lifetime and be passed on to the next generation.

... technically all razors can be adjusted with a light twist of the screw.

+1! And if that does not do it, you can always add a shim.

I enjoy adjustables, but find that once I find ‘my setting’ then that is where I leave things.

Hi all,

After my latest bit of bad luck with a Zamak 3-piece, I am looking for a new razor. My criteria:

- full stainless
- adjustable
- good grip (no glossy surfaces like the EJ handles)
- weight at least 80 g or 3 oz (optional)

I only know the Rockwell 6S and Rockwell Model T. Any other manufacturers/models?
You already eliminated the Model T as its almost entirely Zamak!! You might want to add something made of brass to your list of desires as it opens your options some!! The new Pearl Flexi comes to mind and is giving the Rex a run for the money right now. Even Matt over at RE has said it shaves very similar to his Rex!!

You already eliminated the Model T as its almost entirely Zamak!! You might want to add something made of brass to your list of desires as it opens your options some!! The new Pearl Flexi comes to mind and is giving the Rex a run for the money right now. Even Matt over at RE has said it shaves very similar to his Rex!!
I wouldn't say the flexi is giving the rex ambassador a run for it's money considering all of the quality control issues. It's also not ss like you said so won't last as long. But if they get it sorted it'll be a decent budget version for sure

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Italian barber Razorock 2nd Gen SS Lupo Dual baseplate .95 safety bar and .72 open comb. You get 2 different shaves depending on which side you use.
I have the .72 straight bar and really enjoy it, I do not have the DC base plate.
1613931243766.png

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

I second this. And my Rex consistently provides my best shaves.

Big thanks for the heads-up on the Model T, thought it was stainless. I used to have a Fatip and a Weishi (both brass AFAIK) but was not impressed with overall reliability. I think there is a thread here on B&B which discusses brass-only already, so I thought I would start one which is only about stainless and adjustable.

@BigJ, I actually prefer different settings for my cheeks (unsensitive), mouth (somewhat) and neck (ingrown danger zone), saves time compared to multiple passes. But I used to have a spare head which was open comb on the one side and closed bar on the other. Did the job nicely while it lasted, so such a model would be "adjustable" enough.

If you want more accurate recommendations it would be nice if you share your razor preferences. like what razors do you generally like to use? More mild, aggressive, very efficient, mid efficient. Also, what type of skin and beard do you have - sensitive, normal or rugged skin and coarse dense or soft beard. Everyone here has different type of face, skin, beard and taste so you will get different opinions based on personal preferences and there's no guarantee that you are going to like what others like.

Im speaking from experience. I've bought a few razors because others claim that they are the bestest ever, but ended up selling them in most cases because they are too mild and inefficient for me.
Even with adjustable razors there's no guarantee that you're going to like the razor.

I don't know if this is a reasonable question but is the Rex razor designed with a positive blade exposure, neutral, or other?

I don't know if this is a reasonable question but is the Rex razor designed with a positive blade exposure, neutral, or other?

I’ve never looked it up but feels like positive blade exposure to me. There is blade feel. I’ve read some find it too aggressive past setting 4. I find it very smooth from 1-5. As always YMMV.

I wouldn't say the flexi is giving the rex ambassador a run for it's money considering all of the quality control issues. It's also not ss like you said so won't last as long. But if they get it sorted it'll be a decent budget version for sure

Pearl has had 1 problem with the razor to date and that was the spring issue... V2 razors have been improved with new springs in them, though there are a few that needed a small tweak and even Matt from RE has even said the Pearl will give his a run for the money on IG and besides the Rex has had spring issues with every release he's had to date!! There are pics and complaints out there as its been well documented. As far as brass not lasting as long as SS, you might want to re-do your homework there... There are brass razors out there that are over 100 yrs old that are still going strong!!

Not my photo but just an example that the Rex has the same canting issue...
1613947195433.png

1613947466865.png

Last edited:
I do not consider razor systems with interchangeable top caps and base plates to be adjustable razors. True adjustable razors are designed to be adjustable on the fly without dismantling the razor. I also don't regard solutions based on loosening the top cap to be adjustable because every razor can be adjusted or shimmed like this.

The major CNC manufactured stainless steel adjustable razors that fit the bill are the Rocnel Sailor razor, the Rex adjustable razor and the Homelike Taiga razor. The taiga is out of stock at the moment but the other two can be ordered. I have the sailor razor and it is an excellent performing razor with lovely design and a beautiful gold plated three dimensional engraving in the end cap.

Top Bottom