What's new

Adjustable for a Double Edge Newbie?

I've been slowly getting more in to the art of wet shaving and wanted to seek some advice. I typically shave daily, although in our current situation, I've started shaving every other day as a way to give me a better way to evaluate my technique and shave quality.

My current setup is very simple, and in part based in recommendations I've read here. I'm using Proraso cream, a Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic brush and a Georgetown G12 scuttle. I get a nice lather and in spite of currently using a Gillette Fusion 5 (I can hear the groans now, ha!) I get a pretty decent shave. I have a Feather AS-D2 on order as my first DE but it hasn't yet arrived.

So to my question: I'm a bit nervous about the DE thing but look forward to learning technique. I went with the AS-D2 since it was commonly recommended as a very "mild" razor and seemed like a good starting point. I have the occasional blemish on my face (which are improving as I change my shaving regimen) but am open to trying a more aggressive DE alongside the Feather as part of finding the combination(s) that really work best for me. An adjustable seems like the logical choice here, to allow me to try different degrees of blade exposure without having to buy a series of razors. If that all makes sense, do you have a recommendation on which adjustable to try? If I'm off base on my thinking, do you have other recommendations?

Thanks for reading and in advance for your advice!

Welcome to B&B.
My first reaction is don't buy another razor till you have established a good technique with the AS-D2. It is a mild razor but capable of giving you a good shave. Get a blade sampler pack to find which are your preferred blades. Good lather and preparation also helps achieve a good shave so don't understimate those aspects of the shave. Enjoy your shaves and take your time.
Don't change things all the time. The process is gradual stubble reduction so expect to do a number of passes for a very close shave.
The Shave Wiki has some useful information to assist you; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade . Changing from a cartridge to a DE means using a different tool and blade angle is important. This will help you understand the difference; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
A Gillette Slim Adjustable in good condition, if you don't mind a secondhand razor, could be worth looking out for when you eventually move to adjustables. The search may take some time but they do come up regularly for sale.

I bought a Merkur Futur 6 months after switching to DE shaving as a birthday present for myself.

First DE razor was a Wilkinson Sword Classic, then I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 2 months in.

A Futur is the only adjustable in my collection of 7 DE razors, so I’d obviously recommend one of those.

Congratulations on the choice of AS-D2, as you start, I would advise you to focus on mastering the Feather, believe me it is not obvious because the AS-d2 cuts like a scalpel.

I had several rasooirs and all irritated me even the Feather.
In addition to learning to shave you will have to choose the blade or blades that will go with your skin.

Another piece of advice that everyone will give you is to learn not to apply pressure and not to iron several times where you have already shaved.

Serious unless you really hate the AS-D2 give yourself a year of learning before buying another razor.
Like many, I did the opposite, I bought several razors before fixing my choice on the Feather and learning to shave without cuts or heating.

I shave daily but I also shave 2 or even 3 days and the AS-D2 cuts you and I still have a BBS.

Also make a map of the growth of your beard because according to the growth the ATG is not always in the same direction. Cutting the hair at the right angle avoids much irritation.
When you have your Feather you will give us your impressions.

Good luck

The advice from everyone is spot on (as another newbie) and am doing what these suggestions suggest as well [sticking with the as-d2] - that said there is a subtext to these guys - they are all enablers and very sneaky about it ;)

Avi

As a beginner I started off with the suggested Jagger DE89 razor, and very good suggestion it was. Like you, and most others there came a point where I was ready to advance into wider ranging realms. In the end, I wished that my next purchase had been a Rockwell 6C or 6S as it would have saved me the cost of the eleven razors in between. It would probably be the best razor for any beginner, but is not usually suggested because a first time razor is always cautionary, so easy affordability is usually part of the equation. After that, if one wants to branch out further, Slants, open-combs and vintage can be explored further.

You can easily find a Rockwell 6C in the $30 range if you keep an eye out on the different social media platforms. I would highly recommend that.

Or maybe a vintage gillette TTO adjustable.

Starting with an AS-D2 is a very good idea. I started with one and used it exclusively for a year. It is indeed very mild, but also nicely efficient. Being as mild as it is, it is highly technique dependent. I feel like using the feather for a year taught me very good technique. It works at a different angle than most other DEs, so at this point in your DE journey I wouldnt muddy the water with something else - especially an adjustable. I love my Slim, so I've got nothing against adjustables. For now though, keep it simple.

The feather is a first class razor for sure. Explore lathers, brushes, etc. As far as blades go, the AS-D2 is made to be used with the very sharpest blades. Feather, Bic, Kai, Nacet are a good place to start. In fact, you could probably just stop at feather blades and be happy. It's a perfect matchup.

All that being said, when you do get a hankering for another razor, an adjustable is a great choice. The Gillette Slim (vintage) is fantastic. I don't have a Merkur Progress or a Parker Variant, but they are well loved and if I didnt love my slim so much I wouldnt hesitate to get one of these.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I echo the suggestions to dial in the Feather. It needs A very shallow angle (like 45-50 degrees handle from face). That said, a vintage Slim will open up that vintage rabbit hole for you, but be sure to alert the mailman that he should start expecting lots of packages.

First, welcome to the forum.
congrats on plunging into the world of "wet shaving"
Go slow at the beginning.
I started with and adjustable because I thought that was the only one razor I was going to ever need and buy. It's a Merkur Progress, a nice shaver.
Also when I started I thought I would never buy a used razor.... I am a germ freak.
But soon I fell into the big rabbit hole of vintage razors, and fell in love will all sorts of Gillette and some Schick razors. Gillette adjustable razors are the best in my opinion (I do have other brands of new adjustables) and now have many.
The G. thin adj is wonderful.

Feather AS-D2 is a very mild razor with a very different optimal shaving angle. It shave at a slightly 45 degree compared to normally 30 degree as per most DE razors.
To me, AS-D2 might be good for beginners as it is really mild and hard to accidentally cut yourself but when you move on to other DE razors, you might need to relearn the shaving angle.

All super helpful and encouraging comments, I really appreciate all of them! Thanks to you all for taking the time to entertain my question and share your experiences.

Starting out with an AS-D2, you want something very smooth. As far as adjustables and I have too many, my best is simply the Super 84. Very efficient and smooth and easily the best Gillette adjustable for me. Tied at top for best shaver in my rotation. My Gibbs is just as smooth and has higher levels of aggression, but the Super 84 edges it out over ease of use and you don’t have to modify blades. Not a huge deal but it exists nonetheless. If you want to wait, Heritage Collection’s Gibbs Adjustable replica (No blade mods) is coming soon.

Here is my adjustable list, probably forgetting one somewhere.

Gillette Super 84
Gillette Super 109s
Gillette 195s
Gillette Slims
Gibbs Adjustables
VB Emperor Augustus
VB Emperor Meiji
Rex Ambassador
Parker Variant
M3000S

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I've been slowly getting more in to the art of wet shaving and wanted to seek some advice. I typically shave daily, although in our current situation, I've started shaving every other day as a way to give me a better way to evaluate my technique and shave quality.

My current setup is very simple, and in part based in recommendations I've read here. I'm using Proraso cream, a Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic brush and a Georgetown G12 scuttle. I get a nice lather and in spite of currently using a Gillette Fusion 5 (I can hear the groans now, ha!) I get a pretty decent shave. I have a Feather AS-D2 on order as my first DE but it hasn't yet arrived.

So to my question: I'm a bit nervous about the DE thing but look forward to learning technique. I went with the AS-D2 since it was commonly recommended as a very "mild" razor and seemed like a good starting point.

STOP! You have a top of the line razor incoming. Stop and enjoy/figure it out... or not. I really don't see the purpose of adding an adjustable to the mix right now. Get the AS-D2 dialed in for a minute and then go for it. Just my opinion.

Do you need another razor than the AS-D2? No, probably never in your life. It will give you a fine shave, and and if that's what you are after, you are done.

Do people enjoy trying different razors? Sure! That's the reason forums like this one exist!

If you want to try an adjustable, go ahead, try an adjustable. It will be fun!

Here is how I would choose:

1. If you can get a good deal on a vintage Gillette adjustable in good shape, grab it. They are all great.

2. If you want a new adjustable and not break the bank, get a Ming Shi 3000S. You won't get any bragging rights here for owning one, but it's a vastly underappreciated razor that beats models costing several times that much hands down.

3. If you want to spend more, consider a Merkur Progress. I have not used one myself, but the model has been around for decades, so it can't be terrible. It's not made from brass though, but from an inferior alloy with a plastic knob, which makes it hard for me to justify the price.

4. Stay away from the Merkur Futur and it's Chinese clone (Ming Shi 2000) for the time being. Those are among the most aggressive razors on the market and you don't need that. Not now, and if you shave daily or every other day, not ever.

5. Unless you have a lot more money than sense, don't spend over US$100 on your second razor.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom