What's new

Adjustable DE Razor mega thread?

What I've settled on is this: To begin with I use a fairly low setting. Then I use a fairly high setting. My finish is with the lowest setting which will cut ATG on my upper lip.

After years of trial and error, this is also what I’ve settled on. It may not be the “correct” way to use an adjustable (yes it is), but it’s definitely the most effective way I’ve found to use one.

I start a little higher, maybe 3-3.5, but overall I agree that this is the way to use an adjustable.

Last edited:
I have two proper adjustables, a 1961 195 which I've had for ages and a recently acquired 1963 Slim. Love them both and they both are in regular rotation. The Slim has the edge on being slightly more maneuverable but, all in all, there's just something about the 195s. There's zillions out there but they only made them three years. The Toggles never caught my interest. As to modern adjustable, I don't know a thing about them and haven't even heard of most of them. I typically run 3-5 in mine with 5 being on the outside edge of aggressiveness for me.

How does the Rocnel Sailor compare to a Gillette Fat Boy? I use Feather blades in my Gillette adjustable razors (Slim, Fat Boy, Black Beauty) and usually keep it set to 3.

Much smoother for me. No blade chatter. Its just a special experience using a rocnel. But I am biased towards them as they are things of beauty for me. I must get my fatboy out soon. Not used it in ages.

Last edited:
How does the Rocnel Sailor compare to a Gillette Fat Boy? I use Feather blades in my Gillette adjustable razors (Slim, Fat Boy, Black Beauty) and usually keep it set to 3.
As with Cheekee, I find the Sailor much smoother. In part, the Sailor is substantially heavier, so I am less inclined to run as fast and loose as I am with the FB.

Thanks guys. I quit my job so I'm getting a payout of three weeks of vacay and will likely start a new job soon. This would be a reward for me. I'm worried about some razors after using the Fat Guy (new version of the Fat Boy) and to say the FG cut me is an understatement. That thing took divots out of my skin!

On the other hand, since the pandemic started I rarely shave more than a couple times a month.

I can't address the Sailor, but with a Fatboy and a Derby, I go 5-6-7 on my three passes. With a Feather, it's 4-5-6.
I tried some Derby blades about 12 years ago. My biggest gripe is that they were only good for 3-4 shaves and I can get 6 out of the Feather blades.

Top Bottom