What's new

Adjustable Clarification...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
rusirius said:
We now see that at the "less" agressive setting we've ended up with a fairly shallow angle, while the "more" agressive setting resulted in a much larger angle.

Now as stated above, if your the 6 million dollar man and have the razor at the most agressive setting, you can still keep the handle at the same angle as previous, that in turn will keep the angle of the blade exactly the same as well. The safety bar in that case would be lifted completely off the face and would be serving no purpose at all. (might as well be using a cutthroat).

You'll notice that in NO WAY does adjusting it change the "amount" of blade that's exposed. Nor does it ever "prevent" the blade from contacting the face. Your not setting how CLOSE of a shave you want, rather your setting how "Agressive" of an angle the blade can potentially be in reference to your face.

That's about all I have to say about that... :biggrin:

This is a very good explaination and almost covers all that is going on. Like Moses pointed out we're not all cheeks. There are a lot of different things happening in regards to skin stretch, whisker length, contours and cushion.

I use the higher settings on the easy parts, like cheeks. I get very close with fairly light pressure. However, on some of the more delicate areas I use a lower setting which actually allows me to use more pressure to get the whiskers without pushing the blade through my skin. On the lower settings I believe the guard is an integral part of the shave in that it stretches the skin over the guard, blade and cap. Yah?

use the higher settings on the easy parts, like cheeks. I get very close with fairly light pressure. However, on some of the more delicate areas I use a lower setting which actually allows me to use more pressure to get the whiskers without pushing the blade through my skin.

ditto. Also, I use the bar to lead my shave. That's the best way to not get razor burn for me.

jduffy said:
In fact a television show that would cover the history of shaving might be in order as well. Has anyone seen a show like this on TV or cable?

I would watch it but even if every member of B&B, SMF, SRP and MSN Shaving watched it, it may still be the lowest rated show of all time. :frown:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Gatorade said:
I would watch it but even if every member of B&B, SMF, SRP and MSN Shaving watched it, it may still be the lowest rated show of all time. :frown:

Not if it were on public television. In fact it could probably be paired with their toilet history show and double the rating. :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Another way to settle this is to let your beard grow for two or three days. Then make a single pass on one side with the lowest setting and a single pass on the other side with the highest setting. Notice the difference?

Now without changing anything for each side make a second pass in the same direction as the first. Did the lowest setting shorten the wiskers on that side? If it worked like a lawn mower it would not have touched those whiskers.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
With The Grain said:
of course it would remove more hair, it works nothing like a lawnmower.

I guess that's the whole point. Some were comparing the settings to lawnmower settings. I was just trying to give an example of how the two can't be compared.

Using the U.S. Patent Office's web site (uspo.gov) I looked up Samuel C. Stamplemans 1942 patent number 2270388 (assigned to the Gillette Safety Razor Co.). This is when Gillette switched from maching the bottom part of a Tech head to stamping them from sheet metal and gives an interesting description of edge exposure. I somebody has an original box containing an adjustable Gillette it probably has the patent number for the adjustable portion of the razor. The web site is fast and very easy to use.

Top Bottom