What's new

Adjustable Butterfly - Recommendations?

Not sure of your price range but have you looked at our own buy-sell-trade forum? Here's a couple of Slims that came up in a search

Not the same question. The OP here wants a butterfly adjustable razor, the linked thread is about any contemporary adjustable razor.

Also, aren't the following butterfly adjustable razors? Crusader Adjustable, Emperor Adjustable Augustus, Augustus and Meiji?

Can't you adjust any butterfly razor by tightening or loosening the dial?

Not the same question. The OP here wants a butterfly adjustable razor, the linked thread is about any contemporary adjustable razor.

Also, aren't the following butterfly adjustable razors? Crusader Adjustable, Emperor Adjustable Augustus, Augustus and Meiji?

I’ve already apologized to her.

Not sure of your price range but have you looked at our own buy-sell-trade forum? Here's a couple of Slims that came up in a search
To be honest, after a flurry of research on new razors, I wandered over here to post in the forums, I haven't been around for like...7?.. years or so. I was focused on 'what should I get' more than where I can get it, and hadn't even really thought about the buy/trade/sell forum, so thanks. I'm really hoping to stay under $100, and vintage you aren't usually likely to see anything in decent condition for under $40 (Canadian prices, and shipping is often $10-20). I really appreciate the link, as the slim there is in good condition at what I would call a steal. I'm still seeing what people post here, and looking a bit more on vintage stuff, but now I know to keep checking that forum as well. I am starting to lean towards the Slim, but there are other things like the red tip Super Speed, but I'm not sure if it would be agressive enough. I consider my Super Speed Flare tip to be quite mild. Anyway, thanks for the links!

I think Hoosier Trooper just meant it as further information, its all good. I jumped because of past experiences where people get touchy if you post anything same as others recently.

What I listed was the current adjustable butterfly razors I had looked at, and wanted opinions/recommendations, as well as anything brands I may have missed (like QShave) or vintage.

The VB Crusader and Meiji have reviews heavy on criticism of the mechanisms, finicky, loose, or stuck parts. The August doesn't but it is short/thick which is my least wanted shape, but if it had high reviews, and nothing else seemed to fit the spot, I'd consider it.

You can 'adjust' a butterfly, but it doesn't stop at a setting, it's like loosening a screw... so, it is impossible to get it to the same gap every time, and it doesn't lock in in any way, so between shower water, shaking out hair/foam, or just bumping it, it can end up opening up less, or more often, more, than where you had it. It can be pretty deadly if you don't check, and its been knocked to a large gap. It is way more hassle than I want, and one of the reasons I'm looking for a new razor. My Super Speed Flare is too mild for legs and under arms anyway, so I'll just let it stay at the sink (plus I has a couple of heart attacks dropping it in the shower, I think the mechanism is a bit looser for it, but basically okay), for chin touch ups/not taking a shower need a shave. I want something for shower/bath for underarms and legs, and the Parker 26C I have it a bit too aggressive, and a pain in the butt to clear hair/foam from, so therefore want it to be a butterfly.

I have owned a T2 and enjoyed it, it's a great razor... But I sold mine. Not because I didn't like it but because I try to keep my razor arsenaal limited to 4.

I'm guessing you are female, if I am wrong I apologise. The T2 might be too bulky for armpit shaving. It's head is insanely large. A Gillette slim would be a more manouverable option.

So, I'm leaning to going low with the Weishi, or going high with the T2. But, though I haven't been around here for years, I knew it was a good place to come to get others to weigh in on their experiences and opinions. Also, am I missing any other brands that might have an adjustable butterfly, including vintage?
you're missing, as others pointed out, the best razors in the category: the Gillette Adjustable - Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty.
Your preference for long handles might suggest to try a BB - my raccomandazioni would be a Slim.
You might spend less money than for a modern TTO adjustable, but you'd have one of the best razors ever designed.

My apologies. I jumped at that. In the past anyway, some people would be bothered if you posted anything that was a duplicate more or less, of something already recently posted. I jumped to the wrong, negative, conclusion. My bad. Thanks for posting to help.
No problem, I didn’t properly word my quick response.

I have owned a T2 and enjoyed it, it's a great razor... But I sold mine. Not because I didn't like it but because I try to keep my razor arsenaal limited to 4.

I'm guessing you are female, if I am wrong I apologise. The T2 might be too bulky for armpit shaving. It's head is insanely large. A Gillette slim would be a more manouverable option.
Thanks, yeah, though the handle is desrgrl, the 'girl' is a bit long in the tooth now...hence issues with chin hair (I say 'hair' lightly, unlike a lot of women with downy growth, I have rock hard stubbly hair. I hate it). The T2 looked like good quality, and the anti clogging reviews were great, but pricey, and yeah, this is going to be for mostly arms/legs, but also chin. Lots of people are suggesting the Slim and I'm strongly leaning that way. I have a bit of a soft spot for vintage, and my Super Speed Flare is well loved, its just too mild for legs/arms, and I'll just be using it at the sink for chin. Good to know about the T2 head size. That, and the cost, will drop it down the list a bit. I've not had an adjustable before, but I figured it might be the best way to find the sweet spot, without going through a number of razors to find the 'right' one.

I have also owned a superspeed flare tip and it was too mild for me as well.

Your list could be alot longer if you would consider 2-3 piece razors. I dont find either one to be any easier to clean. To me it's just what you are used to.

That said and taking head size into account I would still steer you towards a slim. Even though I myself prefer unused and newly produced razors over vintage.

Best of luck on your quest!

I have also owned a superspeed flare tip and it was too mild for me as well.

Your list could be alot longer if you would consider 2-3 piece razors. I dont find either one to be any easier to clean. To me it's just what you are used to.

That said and taking head size into account I would still steer you towards a slim. Even though I myself prefer unused and newly produced razors over vintage.

Best of luck on your quest!
Thanks. When I first turned to DESR, I ended up, fairly quickly, getting into collecting that got...mildly out of hand, shall we say... but during that time I got to futz about with a number of different kinds of razors. Perhaps I was missing them, but it just seemed a lot of 2-3 piece razors are hard to rinse, or out and out clog. Since I shave my legs, and I'm not in the age/lifestyle to be doing it all the time, I can have anywhere from a few days to a few weeks of growth. My Super Speed is easy to rinse/de-clog in the shower, and doesn't even get mucked up to easy. My Parker 26C does, and trying to loosen/take it apart in the shower to rinse is just a hassle I've grown tired of. The ones I remember when I was collecting (all vintage) seemed to be similar, a pain to rinse. Also, dropping the plate/cover on to the tub hasn't caused harm yet, but the tub is not the most sturdy of finishes. This was also a foray into adjustable (and also, I started with thinking I'd be getting new, but the 'go with the Slim' crowd is growing). Thanks for the input, its appreciated.

To be honest, after a flurry of research on new razors, I wandered over here to post in the forums, I haven't been around for like...7?.. years or so. I was focused on 'what should I get' more than where I can get it, and hadn't even really thought about the buy/trade/sell forum, so thanks. I'm really hoping to stay under $100, and vintage you aren't usually likely to see anything in decent condition for under $40 (Canadian prices, and shipping is often $10-20). I really appreciate the link, as the slim there is in good condition at what I would call a steal. I'm still seeing what people post here, and looking a bit more on vintage stuff, but now I know to keep checking that forum as well. I am starting to lean towards the Slim, but there are other things like the red tip Super Speed, but I'm not sure if it would be agressive enough. I consider my Super Speed Flare tip to be quite mild. Anyway, thanks for the links!

I would steer you towards the Slim from the Red Tip. I have both and the Slim on higher settings can surely give a closer shave than the Red Tip. Plus the handle is longer, which you listed as a preference. Another one to consider, as already suggested, is the long handle Gillette Black Beauty.

I would steer you towards the Slim from the Red Tip. I have both and the Slim on higher settings can surely give a closer shave than the Red Tip. Plus the handle is longer, which you listed as a preference. Another one to consider, as already suggested, is the long handle Gillette Black Beauty.
Thanks. I knew the Blue tip is quite mild, and Red more 'aggressive' but memory did serve me correct that it is more medium. Plus, I think the adjustable will suit me better. I have a very reasonable offer from someone, so I'll post pic/reviews when it arrives after I've played with it a bit.

Just a couple of thoughts. The Slim has an 80mm handle length(by my measurement) and the Super Adjustable/Black Beauty has a 109mm handle. The SA/BB is also more efficient/aggressive than the slim and fatboy. See Gillette Adjustable Razors – A Reference Resource and Historical Archive - https://gilletteadjustable.com/

It also seems that your biggest problem is the razor clogging up in the shower. I would think trying to rinse any razor using a normal shower head wouldn’t give a very strong water stream. Have you thought about using a small bucket on the shower floor to act as kind of a basin to swirl your razor in

Just a couple of thoughts. The Slim has an 80mm handle length(by my measurement) and the Super Adjustable/Black Beauty has a 109mm handle. The SA/BB is also more efficient/aggressive than the slim and fatboy. See Gillette Adjustable Razors – A Reference Resource and Historical Archive - https://gilletteadjustable.com/

It also seems that your biggest problem is the razor clogging up in the shower. I would think trying to rinse any razor using a normal shower head wouldn’t give a very strong water stream. Have you thought about using a small bucket on the shower floor to act as kind of a basin to swirl your razor in
Someone has very kindly offered to send me a Slim with a return/PIF if it's not to my liking. If it isn't a good fit, I might try the Super Adjustable 109 next. My Parker is about 95mm. I'm okay with medium, but the short ones don't work well for me.

It was really just a group of issues, over time, and getting annoyed with the Parker because of it being a 3 piece and its a pain to loosed to get a good rinse. But, I was weirdly in the situation of too mild for some needs (Flare) and too agressive for others (Parker). I'm tall, so I can hold the razor right up to the shower faucet, like against it. If I'm in the tub, everything is easier, but I'm still needing to loosen it to get a good rinse if I'm doing my legs. No problem if its three day growth, but I don't usually wear skirts/dresses in winter/fall/early spring, so it can be easily 1-3 weeks without shaving my legs. In summer, and shorts/swimsuit weather, then it isn't such a big deal as I'm shaving them more regularly. Sorry, probably way more info then needed. :)

Thanks for the reference link. I'd seen it before ages ago, but forgot all about it. It's a great site.

This is right up my alley. I'm a new DE shaver and LOVE the TTO opening style but so far the Popular was too mild and Krona a little too mild perhaps? And not as good of a shave as the R89 I have.

I have been eyeing the Gillette 109 Black Beauty it seems like the perfect handle for me and I love the looks. My only hesitation is I have read many times where someone goes from using vintage Gillettes like this to a newer razor and says it gives them a much better shave. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but it's had me a little hesitant from buying one. So far the Krona is the only older one I have used and I didn't find it as nice as the R89 but it could have been my particular razor and could use more shaves with it to say for sure.

This is right up my alley. I'm a new DE shaver and LOVE the TTO opening style but so far the Popular was too mild and Krona a little too mild perhaps? And not as good of a shave as the R89 I have.

I have been eyeing the Gillette 109 Black Beauty it seems like the perfect handle for me and I love the looks. My only hesitation is I have read many times where someone goes from using vintage Gillettes like this to a newer razor and says it gives them a much better shave. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but it's had me a little hesitant from buying one. So far the Krona is the only older one I have used and I didn't find it as nice as the R89 but it could have been my particular razor and could use more shaves with it to say for sure.
I don't know as much on modern TTO, but as to the vintage Gillette adjustables, I think its a bit of ymmv. There are die hard Gillette fans, and some that find them 'okay'. I think it is pretty rare to find someone that really dislikes them. There does some to be a leaning towards some finding them too mild, but then again, one has to look at how dense/thick/quick growing someone's beard is. For someone that needs a very aggressive/efficient razor, that might be too harsh for a lot of other people, then if they find some Gillette adjustables too mild, that has to be taken in context. That said, some of them run pretty mild, and the variation between settings varies a bit. I have a Slim, and it has pretty distinct setting... 1-2 feel about the same, but 4-5 is different, and so on... where as some people find 1-5 about the same, and then maybe 5-7, with 8-9. So, they don't see as much distinction.

There are definitely a lot of folk on here that like and know Gillettes that can help out. Probably best to either do a search to see what threads are out there that might help, or start a thread of your own to narrow your interest. From what I can tell, Fat Boys are pretty much loved more than the rest. I've used a Fat Boy in the past, and can see why, it was a good razor, just not quite the weight/length I prefer. A lot of people like Slims, I've just received one, and really like it, it's my new 'go to'. There seems to be a slight leaning, by some, that the Slim veers a bit more toward mild than the Fat Boy, again a difference like that can also be due to one's shaving style in concert with the weight/balance/angle of razor as well. The Black Beauty 109 is a bit of a mixed reaction because of the length, it has a decidedly longer handle than many. Some people like a longer handle, some don't.

I did a two part review on the Slim, and a review on the Black Beauty. Unfortunately, I didn't like the Black Beauty as much as I was hoping I would. Because the handle is lighter, and it is an adjustable, it makes the razor head heavy, which is something I don't like. The Slim is a bit head heavy, but because of the heavier handle, its less pronounced. Also, I'm having problems with performance, and am still working with it. It seems to me, that unlike other razors I've had, what razor blade you use can make a big difference. I'm pretty sure it mostly has to do with my technique in terms of angle. I've been comparing/measuring the Slim and it, and the only thing I'm seeing is that the Black Beauty head seems to have a very slight higher profile to the head. Don't let my experience concern you, there are people out there that love them, and I haven't given up, still experimenting.

As to non-adjustables, I have a Super Speed Flare that I love, but it is fairly mild. I like it for chin, but the Slim will be the one to be the all-round go to for chin/undearms/legs. The colour tip Super Speeds have a fairly good following, the blue is considered fairly mild, but the red is ymmv, I've seen it described as mild, medium, aggressive.

Unfortunately that is about the end of most of my TTO knowledge, there are other Gillettes, and other vintage brands.

A good way to get some specific feedback might be to start a thread asking what vintage TTOs would be similar to an R89. Welcome aboard and happy hunting. ;)

I don't know as much on modern TTO, but as to the vintage Gillette adjustables, I think its a bit of ymmv. There are die hard Gillette fans, and some that find them 'okay'. I think it is pretty rare to find someone that really dislikes them. There does some to be a leaning towards some finding them too mild, but then again, one has to look at how dense/thick/quick growing someone's beard is. For someone that needs a very aggressive/efficient razor, that might be too harsh for a lot of other people, then if they find some Gillette adjustables too mild, that has to be taken in context. That said, some of them run pretty mild, and the variation between settings varies a bit. I have a Slim, and it has pretty distinct setting... 1-2 feel about the same, but 4-5 is different, and so on... where as some people find 1-5 about the same, and then maybe 5-7, with 8-9. So, they don't see as much distinction.

There are definitely a lot of folk on here that like and know Gillettes that can help out. Probably best to either do a search to see what threads are out there that might help, or start a thread of your own to narrow your interest. From what I can tell, Fat Boys are pretty much loved more than the rest. I've used a Fat Boy in the past, and can see why, it was a good razor, just not quite the weight/length I prefer. A lot of people like Slims, I've just received one, and really like it, it's my new 'go to'. There seems to be a slight leaning, by some, that the Slim veers a bit more toward mild than the Fat Boy, again a difference like that can also be due to one's shaving style in concert with the weight/balance/angle of razor as well. The Black Beauty 109 is a bit of a mixed reaction because of the length, it has a decidedly longer handle than many. Some people like a longer handle, some don't.

I did a two part review on the Slim, and a review on the Black Beauty. Unfortunately, I didn't like the Black Beauty as much as I was hoping I would. Because the handle is lighter, and it is an adjustable, it makes the razor head heavy, which is something I don't like. The Slim is a bit head heavy, but because of the heavier handle, its less pronounced. Also, I'm having problems with performance, and am still working with it. It seems to me, that unlike other razors I've had, what razor blade you use can make a big difference. I'm pretty sure it mostly has to do with my technique in terms of angle. I've been comparing/measuring the Slim and it, and the only thing I'm seeing is that the Black Beauty head seems to have a very slight higher profile to the head. Don't let my experience concern you, there are people out there that love them, and I haven't given up, still experimenting.

As to non-adjustables, I have a Super Speed Flare that I love, but it is fairly mild. I like it for chin, but the Slim will be the one to be the all-round go to for chin/undearms/legs. The colour tip Super Speeds have a fairly good following, the blue is considered fairly mild, but the red is ymmv, I've seen it described as mild, medium, aggressive.

Unfortunately that is about the end of most of my TTO knowledge, there are other Gillettes, and other vintage brands.

A good way to get some specific feedback might be to start a thread asking what vintage TTOs would be similar to an R89. Welcome aboard and happy hunting. ;)
Thank you for the added input. All great info. I prefer a longer handle so the Fat Boy would be out along with most others. That's the only thing I don't like about my R89 is the handle seems a tad too short for me so I plan to buy another razor here soon to use the handle from it. Likely a Merkur 23c assuming the handle will fit, and if not I can always buy the R89 twist or Grande version.

On the vintage stuff I like the looks of the black beauty a lot, there's something about the black handle that appeals to me. And the longer handle is perfect for my hands. I also like the looks of the thickness, I prefer one that isn't too thick if at all possible. But a longer thicker one would be fine, just not a shorter one of any sort.

I am not against buying a new razor either, it doesn't have to be vintage but there are very few new adjustable TTOs. If I could find one I liked it wouldn't have to be adjustable. Parker has some really great looking razors but the reviews seem to be hit and miss with a lot of quality issues from some reviewers. I still may take a chance on one like the 22R, 74R, 76R etc. The 22Rs handle seems a little smooth for me but it is the milder of the bunch from what I read so may be the best head for me. For the price I imagine the Black Beauty 109 will be my next TTO razor though.

I made the mistake of buying the Parthenon when it first came out (the V1) easily one of the worst razors ever manufactured. I have used both the Rockwell T1 and T2 and found them both wonderful if a bit on the aggressive side. I learned to shave using a Super adjustable 109 mm razor. Long handled, mild to medium range, the perfect adjustable.

Top Bottom