What's new

ADJUSTABLE APRIL (starts April,1st)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Was just reviewing here and on my Damn Comfortable Shave thread the various razors I've used this month so far.

In no particular order I've used these razors during this month. (The month isn't finished.)
  1. Taiga
  2. Sailor
  3. Gillette Executive
  4. Gillette Slim
  5. Muramasa
  6. Pearl Flexi
  7. Snmirn
  8. Rex Konsul
  9. Denali
  10. TFC
  11. Schick Type M
  12. Vison
Some I've used once. Some a number of times. The Taiga's received the most use, but that's largely because this exercise began with me on vacation having taken with me only that one razor; it's a good one. Frankly, I haven't found a real dud in the bunch.

The surprise star of April has been the Snmirn. It's a really good shaving razor.

I have at least a few more adjustables at the office. Do I have any more at home? I'll look a bit but I think not. The month's almost over so I may not get to all my adjustables in this month not that it matters.

So far I'm enjoying Adjustable April. Mostly what is interesting to me is seeing how many adjustables there are in your hands, adjustables I've never heard of in many cases, and adjustables I've heard of but never tried. A few are very appealing to me, but probably this thread is as close as I'll ever come to one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

April 28th:

Rex Ambassador/Rapira Plat Lux (New)
Soap Commander Endurance/30mm Tuxedo
Witch Hazel (Mentholated)
Old Spice (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Endurance Balm

So much more enjoyable than the German Personna in the Rex, probably my favorite adjustable combination. I'll probably finish Adjustable April with this setup.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was good.

4-29-22.Pearl.CH2.SB.CK-6.640.JPG

One of the things I've learned with adjustables (which may apply only to me) is to first use a fairly low setting.

Today I began with setting #2 and did all my WTG and easy stuff, which means everywhere. Then the #5 setting was employed for S-N neck work, and for WTG N-S soul patch, and upper lip. Finally, I used setting #1 for ATG upper lip work, and for the buffing etc. of the soul patch.

My soul patch is very wiry and difficult, but not too sensitive. My upper lip is hugely sensitive ATG.

The Pearl Flexi has a little bit of blade feel on setting #1, but it's still (barely) mild enough on its low end to satisfy my difficult and high bar requirements in adjustables.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Closing it out with the PAL Injector. Installed a fresh Schick B blade and went at it. It was a good shave. 3 full passes and not quite a BBS finish but, it was a very good DFS at the least. Injectors have never been a hit for me. They shave fine enough for daily usage but, most times they require a bit more work for me to achieve a shave to my standards which I get more easily with a DE or an AC styled SE razor. They are not bad, they just don’t work as well for me is all. Many find them to be a champion of a shave format for their usage and that’s fine with me. One has to realize that not every razor will work as well for one as other razors do.

But, the fun is in the journey and that’s all that really matters. Plus a decent shave is really what we all chase. It was a great Adjustable April and I thank the OP for starting this thread up to get the shave juices flowing. It was a good one.

Great shaves to all….

D95FC419-9E60-45A7-9716-CB73C9382891.jpeg

Adjustable April Day 29
Franken FatBoy Friday

Razor: Franken FatBoy
Blade: Wizamet SI
Brush: Black Eagle Pre-Tied
Soap: Arko

SOTD220429.jpg

I planned this for last week but Mr Sailor 2022 arrived and upset the apple cart. This is a Franken creation from Dr @romsitsa It's a Superspeed mated with a FatBoy top. The adjustment has to be made before you close the doors. The good doctor assures us that no razors were harmed in creating this.. :001_smile

The grated and compressed Arko is coming to an end.

How does its shave:
You have to ask? Like a FatBoy.

Happy shaves all.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
1E2DA538-A783-459A-B737-C1FF25FB5F89.jpeg

Adjustable April shave number 26 for me. Still with the Gold Slim and the Gillette Nacet blade. Still going pretty well although I did give myself a couple of weepers today. A couple more shaves to go and then we will see what May brings.

Pearl Flexi Version 1

After an exhilarating 4 days of 4x4 escape to the wild drive, an exhausted lot from all the off-roading, breakdowns, jolts, body shakes, pains and the heat, we turned back to drive another 10 to 12 hours in nearly 105 to 110 degrees to reach back home. (42 to 45 C)

Woke up today drained, exhausted with two days of beard growth. After a luxurious cold water shower, had a tap water shave (luke warm around noon)

I decided to go with the first version of Pearl Flexi (V1 as it would be called now), which started it all. Perhaps one of the first few Flexis to come out of the factory and shipped to customers. Fortunately my copy, though has the same tacky loose spring, is stable with no uneven blade feel or exposure.

The Razorock barbershop WTP produced some nice lather, however this particular version lacks residual slickness, needs lather reapplication frequently.

Loaded the Gillette Green Indian Perma-sharp blade from my last bloody adjustable shave with the Mingshi 3000s.

A 10/10 comfortable 3-pass BBS shave.

1651216732664.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1651234583006.png

Adjustable April Day 29
Franken FatBoy Friday

Razor: Franken FatBoy

I planned this for last week but Mr Sailor 2022 arrived and upset the apple cart. This is a Franken creation from Dr @romsitsa It's a Superspeed mated with a FatBoy top. The adjustment has to be made before you close the doors. The good doctor assures us that no razors were harmed in creating this.. :001_smile

How does its shave:
You have to ask? Like a FatBoy.

Happy shaves all.

How cool is that!

Thanks for showing this one. I'm reminded of a hot rod show.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-29-22.BlackBeauty.CH3.Manchurian.CK-6.640.JPG

The handle is too long and way too skinny but it will deliver.

I much prefer the gold Executive and probably the Slim, too, but nothing wrong with how the Black Beauty shaves. It's very very mild on the low end. Extremely mild on setting 1.

I used settings 2, 9, and 1 today.

One more April shave remains.

Happy shaves,

Jim

20220428_170140-02.jpeg
Day 29.
I had a rather mediocre shave today. I blame the blade, which felt quite tuggy whichever settings I chose. 3 passes, setting 5-9-2 with some touchups. DFS +, that's not what I'd call a efficient shave.

Well, Adjustable April is almost over. Time for a short résumé, gents.
It's been a great month, I have learnd a lot about razors I had never seen before. Really, I enjoyed all of your shave reports. What a bunch of stunning modern, vintage and unique razors. Thank you all for your participation!

Now... ENJOY the last AA shave!
Happy shaves!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
C58B5121-C60B-4EB5-934A-585C8978DEC4.jpeg

Adjustable April shave number 27 for me. It is the 30th of April today so technically my last shave for Adjustable April. Still with the Gold Slim and the Gillette Nacet blade. Went with Captain’s Choice for shaving soap and aftershave balm. He does great products even though the Land Ho is discontinued. Another good shave today.

Adjustable April Day 30
Schick Saturday

Razor: Schick Krona Adjustable
Blade: Feather
Brush: Turn n Shave / Oumo SHD Silvertip
Soap: Wriggly Tin - Bay Rum

SOTD220430.jpg

Around the early 1960's Schick must have considered getting into the adjustables market. There are at least three patents on this razor, all filed in 1965. One was granted in 1966/07 and the second in 1967/02 and the third in 1968/01. This has the "1965-1967 Schick logo" on the underneath of the TTO/Adjustment knob so that is in line with the timing. Other than that it has no manufacturers markings anywhere. We assume that it's a prototype, was never offered for sale and thus is ultra-rare.

How does it shave:
Like Krona's, its mild. Even at its most open and using a Feather it's just inching into the medium territory.

Last words from my side. It's been fun and given me an excuse to use adjustables that are not part of my normal rotation.
A BIG thanks goes out to @JAHE for setting up and moderating this thread.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Schick Krona adjustable.480.jpeg

Adjustable April Day 30
Schick Saturday

Razor: Schick Krona Adjustable

Around the early 1960's Schick must have considered getting into the adjustables market. There are at least three patents on this razor, all filed in 1965. One was granted in 1966/07 and the second in 1967/02 and the third in 1968/01. This has the "1965-1967 Schick logo" on the underneath of the TTO/Adjustment knob so that is in line with the timing. Other than that it has no manufacturers markings anywhere. We assume that it's a prototype, was never offered for sale and thus is ultra-rare.

How does it shave:
Like Krona's, its mild. Even at its most open and using a Feather it's just inching into the medium territory.

Last words from my side. It's been fun and given me an excuse to use adjustables that are not part of my normal rotation.
A BIG thanks goes out to @JAHE for setting up and moderating this thread.

How did you find this one?

I had absolutely no idea such an adjustable existed. Are you sure it's not photoshopped?

To me, the Krona is a fine shaving razor. Very mild, but still efficient. Almost so perfect that it's boring. My big issue with the razor is the handle which I find both too long and way too skinny.

Thanks for blowing my mind with the rarest of finds.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How did you find this one?

I had absolutely no idea such an adjustable existed. Are you sure it's not photoshopped?

To me, the Krona is a fine shaving razor. Very mild, but still efficient. Almost so perfect that it's boring. My big issue with the razor is the handle which I find both too long and way too skinny.

Thanks for blowing my mind with the rarest of finds.

Happy shaves,

Jim

:001_smile :001_smile :001_smile

I found it on that auction site in March 2020. It flew under everyones radar (thankfully).
A few of them have surfaced. I believe that this was the last one.
I agree with you on your thoughts on the Krona Jim.

Its been discussed a couple of times here on B&B:
Schick Krona Adjustable? (pic) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-krona-adjustable-pic.548838/
The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-not-gillette-vintage-de-thread.310702/page-38#post-7645036
This is not a Krona... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/this-is-not-a-krona.235254/

There are some mention of this one in other threads as well.

The patent info is here:
Yet, another Krona - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/yet-another-krona.567389/#post-10206516

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
:001_smile :001_smile :001_smile

I found it on that auction site in March 2020. It flew under everyones radar (thankfully).
A few of them have surfaced. I believe that this was the last one.
I agree with you on your thoughts on the Krona Jim.
Nice score, you got one out of a mere handful, congrats!

Top Bottom