What's new

Adios Remington

Remington built quality guns, but hasn't really built a gamechanger since the 700 came out 60 years ago. Quality of the old stand by models, the 700, 870, and 1100 has steadily declined over the past couple of decades.
I’ll agree with you on the 870 and 1100 series shotguns being quality guns but disagree about 700 series rifles. There’s several videos and reports of 700 series rifles discharging with the safety on and the shooter never touching the trigger. One of the guys that had this happen to him was a sniper for a SWAT team while closing the bolt. So not an untrained individual. One of the people who was on the development team for the 700 brought it to Remington’s attention during its development and even redesigned the safety and trigger assembly for it. Yet Remington disregarded it and used the faulty original design. I remember hearing that there was a judgement against them over it. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is still playing a factor in their current financial issues

To be fair, Roundhill says they are in the process of acquiring an FFL and can't really do anything until they procure said license?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I know squat about acquiring an FFL/SOT and I assume Remingtons is a Class 10 but if Remington Arms already has one is the holding required to acquire one? I mean I guess it comes down to a DBA thing? Seems odd... Like telling a share holder “you own stock in a firearm manufacturing company. You need an FFL.” iDK 🤷‍♀️

Sad news indeed. My first rifle (I still own it) was a Marlin Glenfield model 60 22LR. I slew a lot of squirrels in east Texas with that rifle. I killed my first white tail deer with a Marlin 444. Funny but I never owned a Remington. Still it is a dark day when an iconic company like Remington goes under.

I know squat about acquiring an FFL/SOT and I assume Remingtons is a Class 10 but if Remington Arms already has one is the holding required to acquire one? I mean I guess it comes down to a DBA thing? Seems odd... Like telling a share holder “you own stock in a firearm manufacturing company. You need an FFL.” iDK 🤷‍♀️

I also don't know the workings of FFL's, I guess I assumed it was similar to a liquor license transfer?
I suppose though that one or perhaps many would have to pass some sort of background check?
In any event, it still sounds like a weak excuse to terminate (not layoff or furlough) an entire work force.

Just speculation, but perhaps they intend to move the entire plant to a more gun friendly state? Still sucks for those employees.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
What sucks even more for the employees...

The Remington Outdoor Company is also refusing to pay severance and accrued vacation benefits, according to a statement from the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA), the union that represents the workers.

Remington is obligated to pay severance and vacation benefits under a collective bargaining agreement, UMWA officials said.

What sucks even more for the employees...

The Remington Outdoor Company is also refusing to pay severance and accrued vacation benefits, according to a statement from the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA), the union that represents the workers.

Remington is obligated to pay severance and vacation benefits under a collective bargaining agreement, UMWA officials said.
Just horrible for those folks.....

To be fair, Roundhill says they are in the process of acquiring an FFL and can't really do anything until they procure said license?
No idea really, but think a FFL is specific for a certain physical address. Could it be if they are to make the actual gun, ie, the serial numbered part and decide to move the manufacturing facility across town, or even across the street, they may have to get a new FFL for that address, or if they are adding a new facility?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I think there will be some positives to come of this, the first one that comes to mind for me is Marlin lever actions no longer being of dubious quality and regaining the reputation they had prior to Remington running them in to the ground.
Here's hoping. A point I missed is that the buyers of the various companies only bought names and intellectual properties. No machinery was included.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One of the things I find interesting regarding Remington is that it was one of the companies JMB worked with early on along with Winchester, FN and Colt. The Remington 24 introduced in 1922 IIRC may well be the longest continuous production design 22 around. In 1935 Remington up dated the design slightly with the model 241 and it was made up until 1949. The Browning SA22 that is made today is basically the same design.

The 24 and my 241 are butt fed takedown 22s and the Ruger 10/22 uses almost exactly the same connection design as well. The Winchester 24 was available in either 22 short or 22 LR but not interchangeably; a rifle was either 22short or 22LR. Almost all of the Remington/JMB designs of that era were takedown rifles whether magazine, butt, conventional tube fed or whether they were semi-automatic or pump action.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What's in a name?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Did some Spa Day work on the 1949 Remington 241 today and now need to get it to the range for a function test. I've been having light strikes but so far can't find where there's anything wrong.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The function test was a complete success. No failure to feed, no failure to fire, no failure to eject and with bulk pack Remington and Federal ammo. Don't know why I waited so long to get this one back into the lineup. The light strikes were solely due to old gummy grunge and like Harry's dad; It's feeling MUCH better now!

241-800.jpg

Top Bottom