What's new

Adding weight to an old Adoration handle.

I am reknotting this old handle and find that it is just too light. I suspect the handle may be chalk filled or filled with
2019_Feb_17_7249_LR.JPG
2019_Feb_17_7250_LR.JPG
2019_Feb_17_7252_LR.JPG
something very lightweight. I think this sparkle layer is probably thin. I am considering drilling through the sparkle layer in an attempt to add weighted material to the handle. Any thoughts/experiences regarding this strategy?

Don't mess with that stuff. The last time I tried with what looked similar to that while reknotting a brush I ended up breaking the handle.

If you want or need to raise the floor (to add more lift, something I often do) try adding coins under the knot. Two US Quarters usually work for me. That will give you more heft.

I would try and remove the red collar via steam and twisting. On wooden handles shaped like that it works. You could just drill a hole through into the handle and load with lead shot/sinkers. Fix with wax.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that the coin option might be the best way to go. Or even some metal washers might do the trick.

If you have a drill stand, use a Forstner bit (smaller than the knot hole and where the handle narrows) and drill down past the sparkly stuff. Then you could add washers etc to make up the weight to the level you want to set the knot on.

Top Bottom