What's new

Adding oils to shave cream.

Okay fellas, I have been on this kick lately of adding a couple small drops of olive oil and one drop of clove oil into my shave bowl prior to making my lather. I am currently using AOS unscented SC. Last night I skipped the oil in order to face lather for the first time. That was wonderful!!! But, I really missed the extra lubricity of the olive oil and the aromatic effect of the clove oil.

Now here is the question: Do you fellas, in your infinite shaving wisdom, think it would harm the overall makeup of the shave cream if I simply mixed the olive and clove oils in with the rest of the SC. I reckon I would just scoop out all the cream into a larger bowl and mix it with oils, and then scoop it back into the regular container.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this one fellas. AOS is just too expensive to waste!!

I scopped out a little of the cream from the tub and put it in another smaller one which I think give or take holds 10 ml of cream.
Mixed few drops of Jasmine EO.
Have used the Jasmine EO mixed cream couple of times and didn't notice any change in shave qualiity. I did take care not to over do the addition of Jasmine EO.
While mixing the EO in cream always added no more than 2 drops and stirred with a toothpick, till the aroma of the Jasmine was noticable.

Don't know if this answers your question. Wanted to share my experience if it helps.

I don't think it would hurt the cream any. It may seperate if it sits for months untouched. Why not try a couple tablespoons in a tiny bowl and experiment?
If it works, Great. If not, then it's only a buck or two.

I just dove off the moutain and mixed the ENTIRE tub. I mixed up a batch of my oil (two parts extra virgin olive oil + one part clove oil), then used a measured dropper to add twenty ml of oil to my almost full tub of AOS. Using a stainless steel skewer, I stirred in the oil for a few minutes and used my C&E BB brush to clean the excess off the skewer. Something about AOS fellas. A little bit really goes a long way!! Whipping up a nice lather was effortless. The resulting lather was extraordinarily slick, and the aroma was absolutely divine!!:angel: If the good Lord shaved; this is what he would use.

I'm planning to do this with some of Classicshaving.com's unscented cream. I have a nearly full tub and want to add some real Sandalwood & real Rose EO to it. I already have the oils; it's just a matter of figuring out the proportions.

I've added pure EOs (3-4 drops/oz) to unscented ream. Lavender seems to thicken the cream noticably, rose, geranium, vetiver and a few others seem to have no effect other than to add scent.

Okay fellas, I have been on this kick lately of adding a couple small drops of olive oil and one drop of clove oil into my shave bowl prior to making my lather. I am currently using AOS unscented SC. Last night I skipped the oil in order to face lather for the first time. That was wonderful!!! But, I really missed the extra lubricity of the olive oil and the aromatic effect of the clove oil.

Now here is the question: Do you fellas, in your infinite shaving wisdom, think it would harm the overall makeup of the shave cream if I simply mixed the olive and clove oils in with the rest of the SC. I reckon I would just scoop out all the cream into a larger bowl and mix it with oils, and then scoop it back into the regular container.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this one fellas. AOS is just too expensive to waste!!

This is what is referred to as a SHAVING COCKTAIL. I use several pre-shave oils mixed with my shaving cream and my shaves are always spectacular.

I have heard that mixing scented oils (like what you find in health food stores or hippy places :biggrin: might cause skin irritations and should be avoided (Sue at St. Charles talks about this in at her site for people ordering the unscented cream).

This is what is referred to as a SHAVING COCKTAIL. I use several pre-shave oils mixed with my shaving cream and my shaves are always spectacular.

I have heard that mixing scented oils (like what you find in health food stores or hippy places :biggrin: might cause skin irritations and should be avoided (Sue at St. Charles talks about this in at her site for people ordering the unscented cream).

So, you put some drops in the lathr mix (in the bowl)?
No problem with the brush ?

I like to put about 4 or 5 drops of the Trufitt and Hill preshave oil in the bowl before I whip up the lather with my creams, makes the shave as slick as a gut and smells good too. But it does not work good with soaps.

Wow, this thread is still going.

Rafikz,

I have been doing the olive oil/clove oil thing for a while now, and I have not had any problems with my brushes. You already know that it is good to clean them anyway. I just use regualr shampoo on mine.

Rafikz,

I have been doing the olive oil/clove oil thing for a while now, and I have not had any problems with my brushes. You already know that it is good to clean them anyway. I just use regualr shampoo on mine.

And your razor isn't getting clogged or gunked-up from the olive oil?

And your razor isn't getting clogged or gunked-up from the olive oil?

Negative. it works great. Try this: Put two DROPS of olive oil in your lather bowl before you start your lather. That is really all it takes. It is not nearly enough to do any harm.

I add 2-3 drops of lavender oil (lavandula officinalis) to my lather bowl. That, plus a dab of Arbonne shave cream and a brush loaded from a VDH deluxe puck gives me a really nice mix after a minute of swirling. This partcular lavender is supposed to have a bit more camphor then some others I think. The lavender that Mama Bear recommends is agustifolia sp. She has some nice information on essential oils. Here's her link: http://www.bear-haven.com/EssentialOilInformationandProperties.html

That's right, and it gives a wonderful shave. Just a few drops of oil, though.

Rafikz,

Thanks guys.

That's all I needed to know :cool:

I like to use JR Watkins Lavender Body Oil as a preshave.

I'll mix it in the bowl with AOS Sandalwood.

Should be awesome :w00t:

Wouldn't clove oil be irrittating?
I love to use jojoba or fractionated coconut oil, with th ''ppppp---p ]'; r8]67p[ytj;'yj hghgnmhj;yujiyui;'kyu/.ujkj./jhk.uy
''
tyit6
'i; uik?>Ku'
nice scent 0pri

I recently began to add some drops of glycerin to the shaving cream. I notice that the cream doesn't dry as easily as before.

Wouldn't clove oil be irrittating?
I love to use jojoba or fractionated coconut oil, with th ''ppppp---p ]'; r8]67p[ytj;'yj hghgnmhj;yujiyui;'kyu/.ujkj./jhk.uy
''
tyit6
'i; uik?>Ku'
nice scent 0pri

That's almost modem line noise except the post didn't end with
+++NO CARRIER

(what happened?)

(also, what's fractionated coconut oil?)

Jesse

Top Bottom