What's new

Adding menthol to soaps

I didnt know where to put this but I wanted to share my experiences:

I wanted to make my own version of the chill mill because I love menthol and wanted more mentholated soap options.

I bought a glass pepper grinder and some menthol crystals from Amazon to save as much money as I can.

Added a couple turns of the crystals on top of the sample puck and let it sit for 15 seconds before loading my brush. I had a nice cooling effect throughout the whole shave.

If you are a menth head like me, I highly recommend going this route.
proxy.php
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Appreciate the tip! I’m also a menth-head, always like new ways to get it into the shave.

question about this approach:how many shaves does this last for? Does one turn on the salt-shaker last a few shaves?

Appreciate the tip! I’m also a menth-head, always like new ways to get it into the shave.

question about this approach:how many shaves does this last for? Does one turn on the salt-shaker last a few shaves?
You'll want to reapply on the puck every shave. If you're a scooper, scoop and spread the soap into your bowl then put the menthol on the scooped soap then lather.

- Fayiz D.

It doesn't take much so a little goes a long way. The crystals should last a very long time

- Fayiz D.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great idea. I can develop tolerance to menthol so your method seems to account for that in terms of adding more as needed. I use crystal in aftershave but have tried it in soap or cream.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got the idea from PAA as they sell a kit but I just put it together myself to save a few (or several) bucks

- Fayiz D.
Stirling sells menthol drops in liquid form. When mine arrived the dropper top was broken so I’ve never used it because I see a mess happening. I’ve found that the crystal needs some alcohol to dissolve in aftershave easily. B&M has soap with the synthetic menthol. That’s insane. I’m a menthol addict but if I don’t wash that off
My hands I get the burn hours later accidentally touching my forehead or even eye brows area. Whoa that burns.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I didnt know where to put this but I wanted to share my experiences:

I wanted to make my own version of the chill mill because I love menthol and wanted more mentholated soap options.

I bought a glass pepper grinder and some menthol crystals from Amazon to save as much money as I can.

Added a couple turns of the crystals on top of the sample puck and let it sit for 15 seconds before loading my brush. I had a nice cooling effect throughout the whole shave.

If you are a menth head like me, I highly recommend going this route.
proxy.php
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Hi Fayiz,

update me/us on this, how is it holding up? I also heard menthol needed alcohol to disolve... but it works just like that? I also read somewhere that the crystals will sublimate over time (shrink/disappear on their own), have you had that happen?

Hi Fayiz,

update me/us on this, how is it holding up? I also heard menthol needed alcohol to disolve... but it works just like that? I also read somewhere that the crystals will sublimate over time (shrink/disappear on their own), have you had that happen?
It still works great. I scoop soap from tub amd spread in my capt choice bowl. Then I sprinkle menthol crystals on top and let a small amount of water sit on top while I shower.

Fayiz D.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hi Fayiz,

I don’t think it needs it but alcohol makes it easier to dissolve in aftershave

I use stirling frost drops to spike splashes with or without alcohol, works great.
On top of soap mweeh I prefer stirlings own concoctions
B&m synthetic is different
stirling and paa blow my sinuses open make my eyes 💦 but B&m terror does not. Cool to the skin though.
Oh and I like the effect on my sinuses sooo

I like this thumb grinder. Easy thumb action and compact form. Search Amazon for Grind Gourmet Original Pump & Grind. I do have to crush the menthol crystals a bit before filling grinder though.

IMG_20210628_223823226.jpg

I've read ingredients for different menthol additives for shaving soap. From what I can see, it's really just powered/dissolved menthol crystals, glycerin in some amount, and an alcohol/water combo in some amount (denatured alcohol, isopropyl, water, etc). This has to be really easy to make. Perhaps just put in a small sprayer, and shoot/pump that on top of a soap before loading or in a bowl if bowl lathering?

I've read ingredients for different menthol additives for shaving soap. From what I can see, it's really just powered/dissolved menthol crystals, glycerin in some amount, and an alcohol/water combo in some amount (denatured alcohol, isopropyl, water, etc). This has to be really easy to make. Perhaps just put in a small sprayer, and shoot/pump that on top of a soap before loading or in a bowl if bowl lathering?
I just put menthol crystals in the salt grinder I posted

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom