What's new

Adding menthol crystals to shaving soap/creams and aftershaves

Just wondering around how much should you add ...should it be crushed or mixed into something etc etc any help would be great

Attachments

• 4C3A6320-AA3C-4674-ACB0-9AC3FF75D346.jpeg
    4C3A6320-AA3C-4674-ACB0-9AC3FF75D346.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Crushed is a good idea, I have found that it can work well between two spoons if you don't have a mortar and pestle. My only comment on how much to add is to go slowly, it's quite effective stuff.

Did almost 2 teaspoons of pure crystals and that seemed to be alright ...face is nice and cool atm :3 its not omg its freezing its just nice and cool

I got a small container, filled it half full with vodka then ram it full of crystals. Leave them to dissolve then give it a shake before every use. I was doing three drops on a puck in summer for heavy menthol and am down to about one drop on a soap. I don't use much kn aftershave but one drop went a long way there. Super easy to dispense and that 2 oz container will last me for years.

Regards, JM

From ebay idk how good they are for crystals as ive never used them before but they are doing the trick for now ...coolness below my neck just stopped

Attachments

• 8429D8D2-7948-4B1D-AEDE-6BC13547CB59.png
    8429D8D2-7948-4B1D-AEDE-6BC13547CB59.png
    928 KB · Views: 11
  • F998DEFE-71FC-4ABB-AEFA-AE6601843C3E.png
    F998DEFE-71FC-4ABB-AEFA-AE6601843C3E.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 9
Cryogen / Chiseled Face soap is the most intense menthol scent. It almost brings you tears when lathering your face.

Try it, in case you want to avoid experiments.

Typically Gillette used between 0.25% and 1% menthol in tube shave cream and aerosol shave foam. The levels in cream tended to be higher than in foam. The menthol was always dissolved in the perfume (it is very soluble) just before adding to the product mix.

Menthol exists in a number of isomeric forms. The most effective for skin cooling is (-)menthol (sometimes called l-menthol). This was the form always used in Gillette products. Racemic menthol is (or at least used to be) significantly cheaper and contains equal quantities of (-)menthol and (+)menthol. (+) menthol (also known as d-menthol) is much less effective.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried the menthol crystals in some Proraso green aftershave to increaser the menthol and loved it. I would start with a little menthol as you can always add more but not take it out. I would also decant some of the original aftershave and add the menthol to that so that if you overdo it you have not ruined the whole lot and you can add some of the original to tone it down a bit. I used a pepper grinder like this to grind the crystals and it works really well.
pepper.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Menthol crystals dissolve in alcohol, fats/oils, or glycerine that also has polysorbate 20.

My witch hazel and aloe doesn’t have any of those, so undissolved crystals lay on my skin unless I follow up with a moisturizer (I do) and get good freeze out of it.

I use the cheapest salt grinder I could find (dumped the salt into a sea salt shaker we already had).

What im wondering is if i buy the cryogen aftershave from chiseled face will it go through aus customs? Ive never purchased a aftershave outside of aus before

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you can get any liquor 150 proof or higher, set some aside for non-consumption and make your own.

Well i made a Frankenaud (coined)...i put a bottle of brut and a bottle
Of pinaud musk in a bottle of pinaud classic..threw in a fair amount of menthol crystals ...shook it for a while....let it settle...went to splash it on my face...o_o woah my eyes are watering...i am guessing i had around 1ltr almost of pinaud and brut and put in there....lmao and yep it kicks alright its more potent than last time more areas are cooler...now i could pour in my vanilla pinaud then have a uber frankenaud..must say the smell is also super potent lols you can smell the plain...the musk...and a bit of brut with menthol all at once its a experience lol...

Top Bottom