What's new

Adding Menthol Crystals to Aftershave

Gents,

An incredibly kind forum member has sent me some menthol crystals to add to my aftershaves. He’s on vacation this week so rather than bother him, could you fellas fill me in on the process of adding them?

Is it as simple as adding a few to the bottle and then shaking? I seem to recall in other posts there may have been another ingredient that kept it suspended. Hoping it’ll just dissolve when I shave it... thanks!

John

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have just added it to the bottle and then the shake, you can't take it out so a little bit at a time. It works for me.

just be aware that those crystals (for all intent) do not dissolve in water. I use 91% ISO to put them into solution and add that slowly to what I'm trying to add menthol too. And they will come right back out of solution if the water/alcohol ratio favors the water side too much.

All of the aftershaves I've added menthol crystals to had alcohol so there was no problem at all with the crystals dissolving. Sometimes it takes a while so just keep swirling them around and they will dissolve. Add a few at a time and then test it to see if it's at the level you want and then stop or add more as needed.

I added them to Captains Lime tonight and it was a huge success! I added three small crystals and shook it like crazy. It took a few minutes but did fully dissolve. In the end, it turned out to be the perfect amount for me. I wouldn’t want any more or less. I love Captains for face feel but don’t use it much due to the lack of scent. I prefer stronger, longer lasting scents. But this really took it up a notch and it’s sure to be a summer time favorite now.

If your wanting to add menthol to non-alcohol splashes, you might try menthol bath salts. They dissolve in water.

Top Bottom