What's new

Adding essential oils to unscented soaps

My daughter sells essential oils so I have ready access to some nice scents. I am thinking about experimenting with adding some EO's to unscented shave soap in an attempt to create a custom scented soap based on my preferences. Please let me know if you have any suggestions as to the best way to do this. Thanks

Don't.
Esential oils are strong, they are added in small quantities during soap production.
Adding them after can cause iritation during shaving.
If you want to use them, my advice would be to make aftershave 1% oil 99% alcohol.

@Ramsay

Go this route:

Follow the instructions on the amount of EO to add. It's a fun hobby and the SFIC base is top notch. In fact, it's the base a lot of the professional sellers use that get praise here on this forum (glycerin soap makers).

If you want to try adding stuff to already made soap, search on here for Blue Williams. It's old stuff but years ago, a bunch of guys added things to Williams Mug soap. Usually it was Aqua Velva (hence the Blue Williams name) but some guys did use EO and FO. Recipes, tips and tricks, etc.

Have fun going down another rabbit hole. ;) I started the same way and now make my own soaps- going from melt and pour to attempting cold process, hunt soap forums and facebook groups, and always have little gifts to give away when holidays come up. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Last edited:
I have used EOs in the past with unscented soaps while building my lather. I used an eye dropper and would add a few drops depending on how strong I wanted the scent.

Reactions: GMM
Like @AlphaFrank75, I have simply added a few drops to the soap. In my case I wet the soap, placed 2 or 3 drops of EO on the surface and then lathered. I never had any issues with irritation, and it worked just fine.

Reactions: GMM
I have used EOs in the past with unscented soaps while building my lather. I used an eye dropper and would add a few drops depending on how strong I wanted the scent.
Do you add the drops to the soap container or to a bowl that you have put some soap in to build the lather?

Do you add the drops to the soap container or to a bowl that you have put some soap in to build the lather?
You don't want to add the EO to the soap container, unless you have some other goal in mind. I load my brush from a container or in my lather bowl with croaps. After the lather starts building I'll add the EO.

Several things --

First, fragrance is usually added to a soap as a last step before it cools and hardens. You won't be able to mix in oils so well after the soap is made. If you have a melt-and-pour soap, though, you can melt the soap and stir the oils into it.

Second, essential oils are very concentrated. Too high concentration can cause problems with irritation or skin sensitivities. Best to dilute the essential oils in a neutral carrier oil such as sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, etc. Use the diluted oil for any application with skin contact.

For some essential oils, only a few drops (maybe 5-7 drops) would be needed for 100g of soap. You can find some tables of suggested amounts to use on websites for people doing soapmaking as a hobby.

Third, a combo of different oils will probably give a nicer scent than just any one oil. For instance, citrus with lavender is a classic combination.

@Ramsay

Go this route:

Follow the instructions on the amount of EO to add. It's a fun hobby and the SFIC base is top notch. In fact, it's the base a lot of the professional sellers use that get praise here on this forum (glycerin soap makers).

If you want to try adding stuff to already made soap, search on here for Blue Williams. It's old stuff but years ago, a bunch of guys added things to Williams Mug soap. Usually it was Aqua Velva (hence the Blue Williams name) but some guys did use EO and FO. Recipes, tips and tricks, etc.

Have fun going down another rabbit hole. ;) I started the same way and now make my own soaps- going from melt and pour to attempting cold process, hunt soap forums and facebook groups, and always have little gifts to give away when holidays come up. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

I'm also a big fan of SFIC. I usually buy it from Brambleberry but also from Bulk Apothecary.

I generally don't think I have skin sensitivities and I've used a LOT of orange oil 🍊 mostly because that's what I had on hand, but I would try anything. Too much citrus oils and maybe some other oils can slightly inhibit lather kind of like menthol. Build the lather longer than you normally would if that's the case, or add slightly more soap.

Top Bottom