What's new

added menthol to witch hazel...

I never had any luck getting EOs to cover the smell of regular witch hazel. And I put in a lot. I gave up because I can't stand the smell of witch hazel.

I never had any luck getting EOs to cover the smell of regular witch hazel. And I put in a lot. I gave up because I can't stand the smell of witch hazel.
I used a combo of WH + Grain Alcohol + Glycerin + Aloe Vera + Jojoba Oil + Lavender EO + Cedar EO

I did not make up a big bottle at one time, just a small glass bottle. This mixture needs to be shaken before using.

The WH extract to me has a woody smell, like tree bark. Cedar mixed with it pretty well and the WH scent dissipates after a few minutes.

I have been adding about a tablespoon of crushed menthol crystals, purchased on eBay, to my Thayers for about a year now. It works best with the alcohol version of Thayers.

That's an interesting point about it working best with the alcohol version of Thayers. I have only used Stirling WH that has menthol in it and theirs is alcohol free.

What does it do with the alcohol free Thayers or is it just a preference for the alcohol version?

That's an interesting point about it working best with the alcohol version of Thayers. I have only used Stirling WH that has menthol in it and theirs is alcohol free.

What does it do with the alcohol free Thayers or is it just a preference for the alcohol version?
Menthol crystal will dissolve in alcohol, but not so much in water.

The crystals will go into solution better in the alcohol.

In the non-alcohol Thayers, the crystals stay solid and need a good shake up of the bottle. Crush the crystals between two spoons or in a mortar until very fine.

The crystals will go into solution better in the alcohol.

In the non-alcohol Thayers, the crystals stay solid and need a good shake up of the bottle. Crush the crystals between two spoons or in a mortar until very fine.
7FC0863C-1A8B-4CAE-B723-EB41B58D8B9B.jpeg

Two bottles of Thayers with crushed menthol added to them. The Thayers with alcohol is on the left. The Thayers without alcohol is on the right. Without the alcohol, the menthol with not dissolve.

I like to add menthol to after shaves. I tried adding some to the non-alcohol Thayers witch hazel and it's taking forever to dissolve, though. I guess alcohol helps to dissolve the crystals?
Menthol will not disolve in water. It is alcohol soluble so add some to your witch hazel

Thayer's Unscented Facial Toner Ingredients:
Purified Water, Glycerin, Certified Organic Witch Hazel Ext Blend (Hamamelis Virginiana Extract (Witch Hazel*), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Filet of Aloe Vera*)), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract
*Denotes Certified Organic Ingredients

This is what I use as a base, because it doesn’t smell like witch hazel and it already has glycerin and aloe for post-shave comfort. To that, I add alcohol and menthol.

Most witch hazel is 86/14. 100% witch hazel bottles always say (in a 14% alcohol solution) or something of that nature.

I find it may take a week, but two to three pinches of menthol powder in a 16 oz 14% alcohol witch hazel tends to completely dissolve.

Just an update: Still loving the combination of 86% witch hazel (14% alcohol) with 2-4 pinches of crushed menthol crystals. A couple of drops of peppermint oil isn't a bad addition either.

Bought several bottles of witch hazel. I have enough to make aftershave for a few years :)

Top Bottom