What's new

Add to this list of underrated and unappreciated things

Prayers before a meal
Family sitting down to a meal together (without the TV on)
Prayers before bed
not having an urge to run to the phone every time it rings (if it's important....guess what? They'll call back!!
Camping with the kids in the back yard
Good manners
Opinions that are well thought out and original. not regurgitated from some talking head or party line affiliation norms.

Prayers before a meal
Family sitting down to a meal together (without the TV on)
Prayers before bed
not having an urge to run to the phone every time it rings (if it's important....guess what? They'll call back!!
Camping with the kids in the back yard
Good manners
Opinions that are well thought out and original. not regurgitated from some talking head or party line affiliation norms.

Wow. I feel so superficial now for listing material items. I think this is a great list.

-CCM

Shopping at Woolworth's, Sears, or Montgomery Wards, finding everything you needed...and being able to have lunch at their soda fountain.

Mom and Pop hardware stores that carried everything that you could never find at the big stores.

Cars from the 1950's with lots of chrome, V-8 engines, and tailfins. (57' Chevy)

Pendleton wool clothing.

Levi's 501 jeans before they cost $60 dollars a pair, and lasted years..rather than months.

Real diners with terrazo floors, neon, chrome and formica, and waitresses that call you "Hon" or "Shug".

Solid wood anything, in this day of space age plastics, carbon fiber, and particle board.

When something was the "Cadillac" of it's class...actually meant something.

M-1, M-14 rifles, Ka-bar combat knives.

WWII Army uniforms, (Ike Jackets)

Country music before G.B. (Garth Brooks) Willie, Johnny, Hank SR/JR ,George Jones etc.

Dinner at Grandma's house every Sunday, and Great Grandma's homebaked pies.

Toy capguns that used those red rolls of caps, Matchbox toy cars when they were still made in England.

Evel Knievel

Eggs fried in a little bacon fat in a cast iron skillet

Botomless coffee, that didn't cost $ 2.49 per cup.

Willy's Jeeps

Jerry Can's that aren't made in China, or Taiwan

Mack trucks, Peterbuilts, Caterpillar and John Deere tractors/Heavy equipment

Old school German Butcher's/Delicatessen's

Airplanes made of steel, aluminum, and covered with "doped" canvas.

Ordering a "Roy Roger's" as a kid, and having it made for you...rather than cherry cola from a can.

Comedy TV shows like Monty Python, Benny Hill, Carol Burnett Today's generation gets "South Park"

Telephones with cords, and round dials ( I used to anticipate getting called rather than being annoyed by it now).

35mm cameras that used film...taking said film to Photomat, and anticipating seeing the pictures.

Being a kid, and actually being a little naieve' to the ways of the world...not having to grow up too soon.

Schwinn bicycles, when they were made in the U.S.

I could probably keep going...I likely sound like an old codger, but I'm only 39. I suppose I could be a curmudgeon in training. :cursing:

They still make these...just have to go to Australia for them. The year I lived there I had a 1999 Falcon wagon. Not my favorite car, but never had a problem with it.

We had a '64, then a Candy Apple Red '67, then a '70. Then Ford quit making them here in the USA, and Dad quit buying Fords!

Ok....I haven't seen this yet...

• Peeing standing up

I underwent some serious surgery about 10 years ago and I could not pee standing up. I always had to sit. I still occaisionally thank God when I'm standing in front of the urinal (seriously!)

Reading a good book
People who can write good books
The ability to teach yourself what you need to know when others cannot
Having self respect without being overly proud
The feeling you get when you do something selfless
Listening completely trumping speaking ceaselessly
Waking up grateful for a new day and a second chance
Turning things around when they've gone bad
The very few true and loyal friends you'll have in life

Me. At least that's what I keep telling my boss.

lmao.

a genuine smile and a good belly laugh till your crying.

singers and musicians, elite sports people. artists/painters.

metal mulisha, crusty demons, travis pastrana and he's gang the nitro circus or any one of those freaks that do that jaw droppin stuff.:out:

Last edited:
Lots of great ones in the earlier post. A few that come to mind for me:

taking responsibility for your actions
treating others like you would like to be treated
Brewed Ice Tea, not instant
jeans that don't cost a day's pay
A man word is his bond
Regular coffee
local honey on a hot buttered biscuit

Wind-up clocks that chime
Kids who call adults "Sir" and "Ma'am"
Hand written thank you notes
People who reply to R.S.V.P.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
  • Kids going door to door to rake leaves or shovel snow
  • Wool blankets
  • A table cloth crocheted by mom or aunt (from a generation of people who never had idle hands)
  • Attending a strawberry scocial
  • Punch
  • A band playing on a band stand in the park
  • A quiet walk in the forest
  • Hand written correspondence
  • People with warm smiles (I trust there are many here on B&B)

I wouldn't have made it to this point if I acted the way kids do today.

Honestly I am not sure how we made it this far in life as it is with all of the "horrible" things we had to endure, but that is a whole other thread.

Reading
Prayer in school (before lunch)
Pledge of Allegiance (every morning in school)
Sun tea
Manners
Work ethic
Respect
Maturity
Penmanship
Proper grammar

Last but not least.....CUSTOMER SERVICE

Top Bottom