What's new

add essential oils to a tallow based soap

Can I inject a essential oil into a tallow based soap to change the scent, such as ARKO, and if so, how do I go about it? I know since it is TALLOW based I CAN NOT melt the soap.

lasta

Blade Biter
Not Arko, it will overpower anything you throw at it.

Other soaps? I've tried spraying EDT and closing the lid. Works, but you need more sprays than you would think.

Google "rebatching soap." It involves grating and gentle heating, usually adding liquid to the mix. It's kind of a pain for what you're trying to accomplish. Might be able to just grate, add oils, and press back together, depends on how homogeneous you need it to be.

What I've done in the past, is just put a few drops of essential oil on top of the puck prior to loading the brush.

Google "rebatching soap." It involves grating and gentle heating, usually adding liquid to the mix. It's kind of a pain for what you're trying to accomplish. Might be able to just grate, add oils, and press back together, depends on how homogeneous you need it to be.

What I've done in the past, is just put a few drops of essential oil on top of the puck prior to loading the brush.
Probably the best way to go, thanks.

I don't understand why you would want to add more citronella oil to ARKO, unless you have a major mosquito problem when shaving.
I will make it plain to you, I just wanted to change the scent of the ARKO! Also I did not say I wanted to add citronella oil to the ARKO. Obviously, reading comp. is not one of your strong attributes.
P.S. I camp out a lot and this will take care of my "major mosquito problem" when I shave in the morning!

Arko has strong scent so I doubt it is feasible or practical to try and 'overpower' with other fragrance oils.
My reco, either just accept Arko as it is, or search out other tallow soaps whose scent you might like!

arko shavemac kai lucky tiger august 26 2019.jpg

Another trick is to bowl lather the soap and add a drop or two into the lather there. You'll eventually save more oil doing it that way.

Years ago, a lot of guys did the Blue Willy challenge, where folks took a puck of Williams soap and added Aqua Velva and other things to it. Do a search here for that. Some had interesting recipes and tips on how to do it- or not do it. ;)

Oh by the way, if you leave the Arko! open and exposed to air, the scent does eventually die down without any adverse affects to the soap. What type of EO are you planning on using? Be careful applying them directly to the skin or in large amounts. I've had a few that burned the stew out of me when I made that mistake.

Oh by the way, if you leave the Arko! open and exposed to air, the scent does eventually die down without any adverse affects to the soap. What type of EO are you planning on using? Be careful applying them directly to the skin or in large amounts. I've had a few that burned the stew out of me when I made that mistake.
True, and it will rid your house of any vermin too. Roaches, bed bugs, lice, moths, rodents, in-laws... None of them can stand it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Honestly, I think if you put enough of any essential oil in there to overcome the stock scent, you'd risk sensitizing yourself to whatever oil that was.

If you proceed, I think grating the arko as fine as you can and then adding the oil to the gratings in your mug/vessel and then mash the bejeezus out of it. The oil will likely absorb into the soap as much as it can. If that doesn't work your not out much time and effort vs other methods.

Thanks for the info. I think I will just try and add some after shave (PINAUD clubman) to the soap the night before. I have vented my ARKO, I store all my soaps in ramekins with air tight and vented lids, and I did notice that the scent has died down a bit.

Top Bottom