What's new

Add an aluminum Lupo to the stable?

Hi --

For about 10 years, I've been alternating between an EJ DE89 (barley handle), and a Merkur Progress (old molds, set to 1.5-2), both with a Feather blade.

But GAS has struck, and I'm thinking of getting an aluminum Lupo. Two questions:

(a) Will the Lupo feel enough different from what I already have, to be worth trying ?

(b) Does the aluminum hold up well, in daily use?

Any other thoughts would be welcome. Thanks --

. Charles

I had an aluminum Lupo which I initially loved. But after a while for whatever reason the razor no longer felt smooth on my face & the shaves were too inconsistent. When I use it the shaves were close but not comfortable. I no longer own that razor. About a month ago I traded the Lupo for a Merkur 33C which I love using. I also have other razors in my regular rotation which include a GC .68/.84 & a Muhle R89.

If you buy one & hate it you are only out $29 & you can always sell it or trade it on the forum. I never really care for the light weight & maybe this was the cause of my issue.

Go with the Henson AL13 aluminum razor in medium. Excellent razor. I had the Lupo and got rid of it.
I would buy the Henson over the Lupo. At least if you buy the Henson directly from Henson you can return the razor if you don't like it.

The aluminum Henson is awesome. I have the medium and have loved it. Really shaves well and no "thinking" or paying attention involved.

I really like the aluminum Lupo and use it whenever I want a safe nick free shave. I find it gets me close enough in comfort. Did not like the Henson because it would not reach the hairs under and around my nose. I enjoy swapping various handles on the aluminum Lupo head.

Attachments

• IMG_7913.jpg
    IMG_7913.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_7898.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7918.jpg
    IMG_7918.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the Aluminum Lupo over the Henson Al13 Medium. On my face, skin and whiskers, the Al Lupo is more efficient, just as smooth and more effective than the Henson. The Al Lupo is also more nimble and maneuverable. The Henson also exhibits some drag on my face.

Overall, the Al Lupo provides a better shave and feels better on my face during the shave.

Just revisited both razors on 8/25 and 8/26:
20210825_130931_2.jpg
20210826_153936_2.jpg

Shave notes are detailed in my Journal. :)

Top Bottom