What's new

Adapting / Modifying DE blades for the Oddballs

Whenever there is a thread on the Segal - we all talk the blade issue.
This is how I solved it and it pretty much applies to any razor.

I own a CNC rotary engraving machine so its not for everyone.

Its a two piece puzzle.

The first piece is the digital file that the engraving program can read.
I started with a picture of a Segal Blade, imported it into CorelDraw and traced the shape of the cut.
I then converted that to a Vector, which in turn gets read by the engraving program.

For the Myatt blades, I drew a hexagonal figure, imported that into the program and stretched it.

The second piece is the jig that is going to hold the blade.
DE Blades are flimsy so you need something to clamp them down, but at the same time musn't get in the way of the cutting head.

I took a piece of mild steel and drilled & tapped the 4 holes which correspond to where the tabs are. I used steel as opposed to aluminium because I was going to tighten the bolts for each blade. It turns out that you can't do more than one at a time. The white piece of material is a piece of engravable plastic and is just there to protect the jig from been damaged - so throw away wear.

Blade Engraving Jig.jpg

Once I had both pieces of the puzzle, I then needed to sort out the dimensions in the program and line everything up.

The top of the picture shows the various pieces of the jig and the bottom shows it all assembled, with a completed Segal blade. It gets bolted to the engraving table. The blade is not skew versus the jig itself, its just the piece of plastic which gets thrown away after each session

When I recently got my Myatt Adjustable, I only had to make the digital file.

Its not a speedy process, so I do a decent batch at a time.

That's really cool. Out of curiosity, what kind of CNC do yo have?

Whenever there is a thread on the Segal - we all talk the blade issue.
This is how I solved it and it pretty much applies to any razor.

I own a CNC rotary engraving machine so its not for everyone.

Its a two piece puzzle.

The first piece is the digital file that the engraving program can read.
I started with a picture of a Segal Blade, imported it into CorelDraw and traced the shape of the cut.
I then converted that to a Vector, which in turn gets read by the engraving program.

For the Myatt blades, I drew a hexagonal figure, imported that into the program and stretched it.

The second piece is the jig that is going to hold the blade.
DE Blades are flimsy so you need something to clamp them down, but at the same time musn't get in the way of the cutting head.

I took a piece of mild steel and drilled & tapped the 4 holes which correspond to where the tabs are. I used steel as opposed to aluminium because I was going to tighten the bolts for each blade. It turns out that you can't do more than one at a time. The white piece of material is a piece of engravable plastic and is just there to protect the jig from been damaged - so throw away wear.

View attachment 1207642

Once I had both pieces of the puzzle, I then needed to sort out the dimensions in the program and line everything up.

The top of the picture shows the various pieces of the jig and the bottom shows it all assembled, with a completed Segal blade. It gets bolted to the engraving table. The blade is not skew versus the jig itself, its just the piece of plastic which gets thrown away after each session

When I recently got my Myatt Adjustable, I only had to make the digital file.

Its not a speedy process, so I do a decent batch at a time.

Top Bottom