What's new

Adaee 12k Chinese Natural

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This Adaee Cnat could open up a whole new world to me. I am not yet prepared to jump into the Jnat rabbit hole but with currently only having synths, films and pasted balsa, I feel like playing with a cheap natural.

lasta

Blade Biter
About 10 years ago when I first started with straight razors I got a Norton 4/8k and a "Natural Polishing Stone", the Gaungxi C12k from Woodcraft. This was the only stone for sale finer than the norton at the time there and I had read people liked it and was excited to find one for ~30$.

My c12k is horrible, absolutely the worst natural stone I've ever used and it soured me on natural finishers for a long long time. It seems to possess the unique ability to dull any edge brought to it, im not even sure how it happens, auto slurry toxic particles? It is also a soaker stone, pourous, and thirsty which is very odd. I read that maybe I could lap down to a better layer and spent hours attempting to do this without luck making me invest even more effort and anger into the stone. I spent years on and off straight razor shaving with the norton 8k + strops becuase I figured all natural stones also sucked. And thought straight razors just weren't as sharp as double edge blades and some tugging was acceptable.

Now this Adaee stone likely is not the same thing as my Gaunxi but if I could have my 30$ back and the years of ignoring natural hone stones I would be very happy.
Hmm, I also bought a Woodcraft Chinese 12K about 15 years ago. My experience is completely opposite:c1:

Slower cutting, but gives a much finer polish than Coticules and Eschers. Extremely fine and doesn't need soaking at all.

Haven't needed another finishing stone since.

Hmm, I also bought a Woodcraft Chinese 12K about 15 years ago. My experience is completely opposite:c1:

Slower cutting, but gives a much finer polish than Coticules and Eschers. Extremely fine and doesn't need soaking at all.

Haven't needed another finishing stone since.

Amazing, this was what I had heard from others at the time too. The natural stone lottery, i even remember people saying not to use your Eshers as it was wasteful when such a cheap alternative stone was available. Mine makes little tiny air bubbles all over it soaking, then the water disappears while using it unless i hone half submersed in a puddle which is annoying. Makes a hazy bevel less shiney than the norton 8k and just dull feeling. I did tests with different finishes and different lap counts. Everything from 5 to 500 laps. And determined the best lap count was 0!

I dug it out of the bottom pile and took some photos. I did not have SiC back then and used sandpaper/diamond plate. Maybe ill give it a lap with loose SiC and test it again, my 500 SiC really leaves the best finish.

20220320_153448.jpg20220320_153541.jpg

Attachments

• 20220320_153527.jpg
    20220320_153527.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 10

lasta

Blade Biter
Amazing, this was what I had heard from others at the time too. The natural stone lottery, i even remember people saying not to use your Eshers as it was wasteful when such a cheap alternative stone was available. Mine makes little tiny air bubbles all over it soaking, then the water disappears while using it unless i hone half submersed in a puddle which is annoying. Makes a hazy bevel less shiney than the norton 8k and just dull feeling. I did tests with different finishes and different lap counts. Everything from 5 to 500 laps. And determined the best lap count was 0!

I dug it out of the bottom pile and took some photos. I did not have SiC back then and used sandpaper/diamond plate. Maybe ill give it a lap with loose SiC and test it again, my 500 SiC really leaves the best finish.

View attachment 1441783View attachment 1441784
That's a pretty rough looking stone. I'd probably relegate it to my kitchen knives:c3:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am looking to purchase an Adaee 12k Chinese natural whetstone (200mm x 75mm x 29mm) on AliExpress for a little over USD 30 including shipping.

My current honing setup consists of 400 to 10k all synthetic and then I go to lapping films and diamond pasted balsa. I left the few naturals I had in the Philippines when I left.

My thoughts with this Cnat is to give it a go as a finisher. I most probably won't be that good but, if it's a decent whetstone, it might be able to replace my lapping films.

If that doesn't work, I could use it as a doorstop.
The People's Hone of Indeterminate Grit, or PHIG, as the CNats are otherwise known, were all the rage when they first hit the international scene, and then the disilluionment set in, with many users. A good one can deliver an edge as sharp as a 12k Naniwa SS, but it takes a while as these are slow cutters. But that is with a good one. Chinese rock? Check. Can be cut into a rectangle and shipped to the capitalists overseas? Check. That's it. Square it up, list it on fleabay, ship it out with government subsidized shipping. Sorry, no returns. You just don't know how to use that most excellent and honorable stone, honorable yankee customer. Thank you very much for your hard currency.

A good one is still slower than Joe Biden's synapses. However, it will get the job done for way less than a Nanny or a Shap. Beginners on a short budget who for whatever reason choose to not use film, are the ideal market for these stones. I used one before I got my Naniwa setup, and it was underwhelming. Placid, inert, slow as a sloth on quaaludes. It did work. I still got rid of it.

You will probably enjoy messing around with it and hey, it is cheap. Meanwhile your current setup is pretty good but you already know that.

In the process of packing for a move i can across my woodcraft C12K. Been many years since i used it last. I remember it being a good finishing stone, but my standards where much different at that time then they are now. Between a 5 month old, an impending move, and the acquisition of some proper jnats, i do not think i will be testing it again any time soon. But my undiagnosed OCD have got me thinking.....
Last time i looked at a globe i remember china being a fairly large land mass. In all probability there has to be some amazing stones buried beneath there feet. It is truly a shame that the culture of the country has evolved/devolved to the point that there is no appreciation for quality anymore. In the not too distant past this was a region of artisans. World renowned ceramics, edges tools of crucible steels, textiles...
And i fear the US is heading in the same direction....
Sorry about the rant but needed to get that out of my head.

Top Bottom